public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ART - DANCE - RELIGION
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2001 7:02 am 

From the San Diego Union Tribune:<P>A Controversial subject - but an article worth reading.....dance is mentioned....<P><BR>WELTON JONES / CRITIC-AT-LARGE <P><B>In the name of religion, art dies</B><P>April 8, 2001 <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Standing on the piles of Afghanistan rubble where once stood two lofty, awe-inspiring statues of the Buddha, soldiers who'd been ordered to wreck the centuries-old treasures seemed amused at the world's horror.<P>Religion has won another round in its endless match with art.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.uniontrib.com/news/uniontrib/sun/arts/news_1a8weltonsub.html" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ART - DANCE - RELIGION
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2001 5:33 pm 

Even more sad - the country was offered large amounts of money from various museums across the world, asking they spare the statues in return. The country's leaders would rather destroy the statues than take the money!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 9:15 am 

Yes, it makes very sad reading Basheva. The destruction of great art is always a tragedy, but the latest news from Afghanistan is another chapter in the gross abuses that have occurred in that sad country over the past years culminating in the tyrrany of the Taleban. Here's a link to some <A HREF="http://web.amnesty.org/802568F7005C4453/0/EAEE68DBAF7A0B69802569000069304E!Open&Highlight=2,Afghanistan" TARGET=_blank><B>general background information on Afghanistan</B></A> from Amnesty international.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 9:57 am 

From what I have read what is happening to the female population is another genocide. No one seems to care - nothing in the United Nations....little in the newspaper...no true outcry....where are the tears? Where are the marching thousands in protest?<P>If we can get upset about mistreating different races, and rightly so, why not how women are treated? <P>On the subject of art and religion - it is a very interesting, dramatic and tumultuous history between these two great ideas/pursuits/needs of humankind.<P>Religion and art - we are often brought by one to the other. The artist is inspired to art by religion and the observer of the art is brought back to religion. They are bound up together in an embrace that is both loving and horrific. Sometimes giving one another birth and then sometimes death. <P>At times each has reflected the antipodes of our spirit and summation of our being.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 9:53 am 

I feel like I want to say something on this. I don't have much to say, but when I think of the statues of Buddhas being destroyed, it makes me think of motion pictures. there is this one film, "Lost Horizon" with Ronald Coleman, and there are parts of the film that have deteriorated so much, that they have to use a still shot of the actor, and let sound run, until the film that was salvagable begins again. (That was a really poor explanation, i hope it makes some sense!) It makes me so upset, because I can't see what was sopposed to be there! It's selfish, but it was destoyed, because it was pushed aside and forgotten! When i see that people are destroying the statues, it gives me the same feeling. My heart literally greives. I am sure that if something happened to those gorgeous costums, that you would feel that way!<P>Roanna<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 12:46 pm 

Hello Constant Singer - it's good to have you here - welcome.<P>And I think most all of us can understand the way you feel...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:01 pm 

So much has changed:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Arts Awaken After the Taliban<P>ANDREW SOLOMON, NY Times<P>KABUL, Afghanistan — THE reopening of the National Gallery in Kabul in February took place in the dark. The electricity was out again, a casualty of war, and no one could get the gallery's generator to work. A certain grimness lingered in the air. More striking than much of the art was a special display of the ripped-up drawings and broken frames left by the Taliban, lest anyone forget.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/10/arts/10SOLO.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:31 pm 
This topic reminds me of a question that was asked of a British ballerina of Asian Indian descent on why arent there more Indian ballerinas.<BR> She suggested that the costumes and outfits of dance are very revealing to/for women of their culture.Some wouldnt feel comfortable.<BR> I wonder if there are any ballerinas of Muslim/Arabic background in the Isreali ballet companies???<BR> Or if there are in any other Middle Eastern countries? The traditional Muslims call for modesty for both men and women.<p>[This message has been edited by angela (edited March 10, 2002).]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:41 pm 

I think Muslim dress and attitude towards women is misunderstood by the West. The Koran established laws in which all men and women are to be judged according to their minds and personalities, and not according to earthly things like gender, beauty, health, or wealth. A woman of good character stands above a man of poor character, and stands on equal footing with men of good character. Men and women share the same rights and responsibilities. <P>Keeping this in mind, how would you as a jurist regard the issue of ballet? Can ballet draw attention where it should be and not draw attention where attention should not be?<P>Obviously, dress would be an issue. The general consensus is that the woman should be dressed with only her hands and face showing (conservatives hold for the veil as well). The man should be dress from the navel down. Form fitting, sheer, or anything else designed to draw attention to the body or shape of the body are prohibited. Gold and silk are prohibited for men. (This had valid reasons in the past, but exist now mostly out of tradition. Silk has been allowed for men for medical reasons).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:02 am 
Thanks sisial.<BR>Considering what you said about dress,do you think ballet wont be coming to traditional Muslim nations any time soon??? <BR>Unless they made special type of costumes....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:05 am 

I don't expect you will find many Muslims willing to wear most traditional ballet costumes in public.<P>Most traditional Islamic countries have secular laws (Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are the exception). Ballet costumes may be considered by Muslims to be demeaning, but men or women, Muslim or non-Muslim, wishing to demean themselves are generally free to do so.<P>The problem is in how dress is perceived. The Muslim dress standard is simply what respectable people wear. The further you move from that standard, the less respectable you appear.<P>While most Muslims might not wish to demean themselves by dressing in the traditional costumes of ballet. They still might be willing to attend performances. Advertising would obviously have to keep their sensibilities in mind, but it is after all an opportunity to experience Western culture.<p>[This message has been edited by sisial (edited March 11, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:17 am 

I never see Westerners wearing ballet costumes out on the streets either.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:23 am 

Ninette de Valois helped to establish a ballet company and school in Turkey in the 1950's and ballet has thrived there ever since. I believe there is also a classical group in Egypt. Sadly the National Ballet of Iran was forced to disband. I am sure there are other examples of dance in Islamic countries that I don't know about.<P>You don't have to look very far to find Muslim dancers. How about Rudolf Nureyev for starters?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:19 pm 
Image OH YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT citibob ( Image)!<P>And thanks for the info Cassandra-didnt know Nureyev was Muslim!<P>[This message has been edited by angela (edited March 11, 2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by angela (edited March 11, 2002).]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:56 pm 

Hum hum... dance... muslim culture... well, the first words that come to my mind are "belly dancing" ! Isn't that a very popular dance form in many muslim countries ? And let's not forget that the muslim world is very diverse ; the country with the biggest number of muslim people is Indonesia, and I suppose they have their traditional dances as well. And how many muslim people live in sub-saharian Africa ? again, many muslims who have a much alive dance culture...<P>So, perhaps a certain interpretation of Islam does not approve the traditionnal *ballet* costuming, but it certainly doesn't prevent muslims from *dancing*... Image