public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bombings Keep Artists Away from Israel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 8:24 pm 

I don't blame the artists:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Artists, Weighing Risks, Cancel Dates in Israel<P>JOEL GREENBERG with RALPH BLUMENTHAL, NY Times<P>...<P>The lone cancellation, though, was by a major attraction, the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company from New York. Julia Blackburn, the executive director of the company, said that dancers and staff became concerned about security after two bombings in Israel weeks before the planned performance in June. Festival officials said that parents of teenage dancers in the troupe were particularly worried.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/23/arts/23CANC.html?searchpv=nytToday target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bombings Keep Artists Away from Israel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:19 am 

OK, before we get any farther into this. . . .<P>Let's remember, folks, that this is not an appropriate forum in which to debate the political issues behind the Middle East conflict; we're just discussing its effects on artists.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 4:00 am 
This is so unfortunate....whats the name of the ballet co. there? Have any ballet dancers ever guest appearred in the co.?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 5:40 am 

There are several dance companies - Inbal Dance Company, Batsheva Dance Company, Bat Dor Dance Company - come quickly to mind.<P>I think upon reading the article one can see there is a history of artists of all forms of art touring to Israel. The cultural life has always been very active in every genre - music, opera, dance, pop art, fine arts...and on and on.<P>The population of the country comes from all over the planet and that really enriches the artistic stew and makes for a very vibrant artistic scene.<P>I suppose that no matter where there is contention....each traveler has to make their own choice as to whether to go or not.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited August 23, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 6:52 am 
Yeah...thanks Basheva.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 2:51 pm 
And leave us not forget that Bat Dor is run by Jeannette Ordman - a Rothschild!!! Please pass the Chateau Lafitte, merci...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 3:10 pm 

And as I remember it, wasn't Batsheva de Rothschild a major supporter of Martha Graham?<P>I detailed in another thread....that my great grandfather hosted Baron de Rothschild (in the 1800's) on my great grandfather's estate in Russia - near Kiev. The Baron was travelling through Russia and staying at the homes of various friends. It is a fascinating family story. <P>Wish I had been there - but then again, I would be dead already.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:03 am 

More:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Musicians Stay Away From Israel<P>JASON KEYSER, Associated Press<P>...<P>July's prestigious Israel Festival also went well, with 29 of the 30 scheduled acts showing up. The only cancellation was New York City's Bill T. Jones-Arnie Zane Dance Company. Festival organizers said the troupe, which included many teen-agers, dropped out after performers' parents voiced concerns.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010831/wl/israel_singing_the_blues_1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail