public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: was wondering...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 6:56 am 

i have choreographed a ballet ( well it only lasts 11mins or so ) to a piece of music by Mussorsky..how do i go about getting someone to try performing it...it would suit David Drew of the Royal Ballet..not sure of the other person ( would love to do it myself !)......any ideas anyone ( should i ask him??)<BR>p.s has he gone to the states with the rest of the company on tour??

Post subject: Re: was wondering...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 9:43 am 

Sugar Plum ....this is a very good question. How does a choreographer not connected to a company (I am assuming you are not connected to a company) get her/his work looked at?<P>This is intrinsic to the problem of developing choreographers is it not?<P>Do you have contact with David Drew, Sugar Plum?<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 11:06 am 

I think if I was not connected to a company I would go to a school and find a senior student to perform the piece (this is also a good way to work out the kinks and the student gets a video document of their dancing and some professional experience to add to their resume). You could send a videotape on to the professional(s) you have in mind. You should also have an idea of where it is going to be performed (are you planning to self-present it or enter it for festival competitions?) Having defined plans may interest a professional and spur them on to work with you. Companies plan their seasons well in advance but they may have some smaller showcases where they could potentially extend an invitation to their dancer to perform your work, but they may not be interested in doing this unless the piece has had some public exposure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 11:19 am 

I choreographed a piece for my best student and myself....we danced it many times together and many different venues and had it professionally videotaped.<P>I then took the tape to the producers of a dance festival and presented the videotape with the possibility of it being part of the festival. It would have been except that a much larger company (my dance was just for two people) wanted that time slot and it was an ethnic dance company whose form of dance would not otherwise have been seen.<P>Of course I was disappointed but it was understandable.<P>I don't think it is unreasonable to call a company and ask if you could send a copy of your video tape or even bring it yourself - if that is feasible. You can also talk to your own dance community and get opinions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 5:56 pm 

I've used guest dancers with my own company (and will again, Peter Boal of NYCB will be performing with us again on September 20-23)<P>The reality is, SPF, it's a business. A principal dancer or a soloist with a major company is a valuable commodity and you must treat them that way. The process of working with dancers like that can be speeded up through social connections, but barring those, your long term plan would be to continue to work with the best dancers you can and to improve your craft, and to develop a professional reputation that will attract a principal dancer. Then show him or her your videotape and be prepared to offer pay. A top rate dancer might work for less than their going rate and perhaps even gratis if you can be flexible about schedule.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:38 am 

no i'm not connected to a company...i wish !!<BR>David is honurary president of the Ballet Association ( i am a member ) , so i could contact him that way..or just write to the company....but i will see if i can get hold of senior students to try the piece out..still have to write it down yet...trying my hand at Benesh or Labanotation..which is easiest??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 10:00 pm 

SugarPlum: it takes a long time to learn either method of notation. Benesh is probably easier to learn elementary movements, but when you have more than one person toe deal with it becomes very complicated.<P>I agree with the suggestion that you approach a student and ask them to perform your work. If you are then pleased with the results, you could always then contact David Drew - and by then you'll have a video of the piece as well.<P>Good luck!

Profile E-mail