public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nova - Eating disorders programme
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 2:39 pm 

Two links as a preview of a TV programme on eating disorders for dancers and others. The second has comparative X-Rays, which are seriously scary. Did anyone see the programme?<P> <A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/12/arts/12SALA.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/12/arts/12SALA.html</A> <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/12/science/12ANOR.html?pagewanted=1" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/12/science/12ANOR.html?pagewanted=1</A> <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 18, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nova - Eating disorders programme
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 3:06 pm 

a link very much worth reading.<P>the bone density scans stuart speaks of are indeed, scary... <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 18, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 3:31 pm 

It's reminds me that at one time in 1998, 10 of the RB dancers had stress fractures and some carried on dancing.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 18, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 5:04 pm 

This is especially insidious for females. It is closely tied to exercise and its impact on the estrogen levels in the female dancer. The damage is not overcome by overcoming the anorexia. The damage is life threatening and life long becoming worse with middle age and menopause. <P>Exercise eats estrogen. Estrogen is also produced and stored in the fat cells (as well as in th gonads). Dancers do a great deal of exercise and have very few fat cells. Estrogen plays a role in bone density. <P>It is pervasive not only in dance, but modeling, acting, gymnastics and many other forms of intense exercise and/or false aesthetics. Its a lesson that every dance teacher and artistic director should keep well in mind.<P>I saw that link Stuart - and tried to get it - but I think that is when the board went down and I couldn't find the link afterwards. <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 6:34 pm 

to clarify, basheva, when you say '<B>This</B> is especially indisious' and '<B>It</B> is closely tied' etc, are you referring in your whole post here, to stress fractures (stuart's last comment), to eating disorders (the subject of the thread/article), or to osteoporosis? i am assuming you are meaning osteoporosis. (i bring this up because readers of this thread are not to know, if that IS your meaning, unless they happen to have come from the link.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 7:47 pm 

To clarify, Grace, the entire picture - osteoporsis, eating disorders, and stress fractures are especially insidious for the female because of the estrogen connection.<P>I would assume that anyone reading my post - or subsequent posts to Stuart's original post - would have read the links. Why else read the thread? <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 12:54 am 

Ack!!!<P>"According to a survey by the Mayo Clinic, the incidence of eating disorders has risen by 36 percent every five years since the 1950's." (from Stuart's second NYT link - w/bonescans)<P>Wow. I'm assuming this statistic is a U.S. thing, but it is a pretty shocking one. As was much of the rest of the article - the bone scans for sure and also the former Joffrey dancer who uses a walker at only age 54 ranking high on the fright factor.<p>[This message has been edited by Priscilla (edited December 19, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 6:01 am 

i'm afraid i read many many threads here, without having the time to read the links. i wish i could. i used to read at least 'many' of the links, maybe even 'most', until we got so much busier here....about 4 months ago, i think, i lost the capacity to read absolutely every word, every day......c'est la vie...but this WAS a good article.

Profile E-mail