public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NBoC $4 million in the hole.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 6:22 pm 

Dear Grace: I could never be really angry with you. No woman has ever stroked my ego like you did—Albeit it was only over some postings to criticaldance! You have much better taste than Stuart Sweeney and some of your fellow administrators! And by the photo you added to the “whoweare” section, I‘m sure you’re also much better looking! Meow!<P>Dear Paul Schneider: You’re oh so right about Glasco being ostracized by the rest of the ballet world. Below is a previous posting outlining the plight of Suzanne Farrell when she fell in ill favor with George Balanchine. You know you have a healthy ego when you quote yourself!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> The only ballerina to dare say “NO” to Mr. B. was a lovely nymph who assumed the name of Suzanne Farrell (Roberta Sue Ficker). She was in love with him but only as a friend. Mr. B. made the mistake of playing a 64 year old Don Quixote to her 23 year old Dulcinea. It was not to be; the warning light went on. Such a marriage would be just too weird. Farrell’s wedlock to fellow dancer Paul Mejia was not a smart career move. So sick was Mr. B. of this man who enjoyed the fruits of his careful nurturing—He paid him not to show up for work. Farrell made the mistake of giving Balanchine an ultimatum, and that was it. Balanchine banished them both from the New York City Ballet. After some guesting which included stints for the NBoC, they had to move all the way to Brussels Belgium for steady employment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I considered sending letters to the board but after some conversations with board members thought better. I don’t think they care. Any letters they receive will no doubt immediately be filed under “g.” A lawyer who is a friend of mine advised me not to send out a letter to all the board members. It’s much more difficult to sue someone over an internet forum posting or a letter to the editor. I was very surprised the NBoC sued those involved in the rather tasteless NOW ad against the board. They will likely receive nothing more than a nuisance award of one dollar for their trouble. <P>I don’t know what more I can do after Hubert Lussier, Director General of Arts Policy for Heritage Canada, told me that Heritage Canada does not get involved with the internal operations of arts organizations. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> “Thank you for your letter of March 16, 1999 concerning the National Ballet of Canada. Your deep concern for the organization and for principal dancer Kimberly Glasco is admirable.<P>With regards to your questions about the Department of Canadian Heritage’s position on the dispute between Kimberly Glasco and the National Ballet of Canada, I must state very clearly that the department takes no position whatsoever on the matter and does not involve itself in any way with the internal operations of arts organizations.” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BR>In an informal poll of half a dozen ballet fans who braved a cold, blustery fall day to line up for subscriber standby seating—ALL of them support Kimberly Glasco! All also supported my new fund raising idea of James Kudelka sitting atop a dunking tank filled with miniature piranhas! I want him to suffer!!! <P>All of us were very touched by the artistry of Kimberly Glasco. She’s one of the few who made that special connection you hope for when you watch a dancer. There are so few who can act AND execute the steps. I’ll give you my thoughts on Kudelka’s version of Firebird later. Just because the ballet critics in Toronto are so predictable, I’ll look into my crystal ball and give you their reviews. Michael Crabb (National Post) = Big thumbs up!!! John Coulbourn (Toronto Sun) = Big thumbs up!!! Susan Walker (Toronto Star) = Thumbs up but not all the way. Deirdre Kelly (Globe & Mail) = Both thumbs down!!! Off with his head! <P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth<P>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited November 11, 2000).]<P>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited November 11, 2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited November 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 1:43 am 

Michael said to grace:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You have much better taste than Stuart Sweeney.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>We hold these truths to be self evident.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:49 am 

Stuart is quoting the American Declaration of Independence? What would King George III think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 9:48 am 

Not so loud, Basheva. King George III hates being reminded that we've lost The Colonies....even if it is only temporarily.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 9:59 am 

Stuart - at the rate this presidential election is going - you might get the colonies back..............

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 6:48 pm 

Well, Michael, I guess we are going to have to accept the fact that life is going to go on after Glasco virtually the same as before.There will be a paper trail following every dancer now, so I guess they will have the advantage of early warning before a termination, so that is an improvement for them. At the first sign of trouble they could seek employment elsewhere (unless the ballet mafia puts out the word not to hire them.) But as far as the bad guys getting what they deserve, it's not likely to happen. I know there was some interest in a book covering these events that would bring forward a lot more details on the affidavits filed with the arbitrator. It is to be hoped that this still happpens, but as the weeks pass I wonder. Perhaps you and I are the only ones who really give a damn. <BR>By the way where do we post impressions of Firebird? I'd be interested in reading others reactions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:39 pm 

I hope a book is published as well. I would be very interested in reading the full transcript of Karen Kain’s critique of Kimberly Glasco’s dancing. By what she said, it’s a wonder Glasco lasted 18 years at the NBoC. This whole thing is ridiculous! I’m posting my mini review of Kudelka’s Firebird in the “ballet” section. <P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail