public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cape Cod Ballet out in the cold
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2001 11:58 pm 

'Evicted ballet company has nowhere to dance.' By KAREN JEFFREY for the Cape Cod Times. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>With just two months to go before its new home is ready for occupancy, the Cape Cod Ballet finds itself out in the cold.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>As far as I can tell Cape Cod Ballet is a school that puts on 'The Nutcracker' each year. It does sound as though personality clashes have got in the way of what's best for the community. <P><BR> <A HREF="http://www.capecodtimes.com/cctimes/evictedballet2.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.capecodtimes.com/cctimes/evictedballet2.htm</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cape Cod Ballet out in the cold
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2001 5:19 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><I>It does sound as though personality clashes have got in the way of what's best for the community.</I><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>At a civic ballet company?! I'm SHOCKED!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2001 10:56 am 

Sounds like the story of ballet in San Diego........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2001 11:04 am 

Ah yes!<P>The story of dance in San Diego....<P>"what fools these mortals be..." (Puck, MSND)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2001 2:25 pm 

And yet it is a test of our humanity that we be fools, is it not?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 7:15 am 

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 11:39 pm 

Is this the Cape Cod ballet Academy in Hyannis, MA? Yes they're evicted, but no...they're not a ballet company. They're a school (with VERY sparse classes, they offer two advanced classes a week....and that's about all). They also offer more prominent music and theatre classes. Its second studio in Falmouth, MA offers a lot more ballet, but that school isn't evicted of their place.<P>They don't put on the Nutcracker, either. Their studio in Falmouth used to send its advanced students to a studio that did put it on, but that alliance fell through. They never produced their own. Though many places on the Cape does. I couldn't read the article (it was a 404) but I'm assuming this is the school I heard about, since there's only one that got evicted. ^_^<BR>-Emily

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 11:51 pm 

Okay, replying to my own post. I actually found the article in the archives. They are COMPLETELY misrepresenting the Academy. In the brochure I read, they had about 40-50 dance students, and only offering two classes. They don't have a company, either. I'm sure it's the same place. This is very odd.<BR>-Emily

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 9:01 am 

The Cape Cod Ballet Company is Not the Cape Cod Ballet Academy in Hyannis. The Cape Cod Ballet Company is in Barnstable, very close to Hyannis. There are two parts to Cape Cod Ballet, the school and the company. The school has hundreds of kids. Some of these kids are part of the company too. CCB puts on the Nutcracker every year in both Martha's Vinyard and on Cape Cod in the Barnstable High School Theater. In the Barnstable theater productions, the Cape Cod Symphony provides the music.<BR>CCB does quite a bit more than just the Nutcracker. There is also a spring performance. Last year, this included a night of excerpts and the premiere of a new ballet and Alice in Wonderland.<BR>As for the school, it does many good works. They hold classes in Martha's Vinyard as well as on the cape. They have a wonderful outreach program too.<BR>Their lease on the old school did run out but they have been building a new school and training facility. The grand opening is supposed to be in May, I believe, but am not totally sure of that. <BR>CCB productions have been extremely well received by the public. I also have a number of newspaper articles that are very complimentary of CCB.<BR>Wendy - Costumer - CCB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:05 am 

Wendy, thank you for the clarification. Also, I'd be very interested in those newspaper articles you mentioned. Would it be possible to link to them from here?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 11:41 am 

Wendy - welcome to our board - it's great to have you join us!!<P>And great information too......

Profile E-mail