public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perspectives: People vs. Dancers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:37 am 

I know my name is on this thread - BUT - it is really Zoe's thread. She found this and wanted to paste it in here - but didn't know how and so she sent it to me and this is hers:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"For hundreds of years dancers have been looked upon as models of perfection, enacting fairy tales on stage and also dealing with subjects that most people wouldn't want to touch. But what is it that drives a dancer to dance? It's not physical pleasure, for it has been said that "dance is a look good business, not a feel good business."What does it take to become a dancer?And what is it like to be a dancer? "<P>I found it at The-Ballet.com under The Dancer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Perspectives: People vs. Dancers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:46 am 

I thought this was cool because I've never really considered how people look at dancers if they've never been there. I asked a friend who does not dance but watched other dance a lot how he sees us in general, and he said, "You are too perfectionistic, but it pays off because there is such an illusion of fantasy when you are on stage - like a living movie that breaks the audience off from the world". He said he thinks we dance to express emotions and keep in shape. I think we do it for those reasons, but also because it is so thrilling to be on stage in our own world with reality outside watching and wondering what it feels like. It is impossible for a non-dancer to know what it feels like and what is required to be a dancer, but wouldn't it be cool if they could feel it themselves, even in a dream? What do you all think? <BR>-Zoe Image<p>[This message has been edited by Zoe (edited June 14, 2001).]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 4:06 pm 

It is an intriguing subject, Zoe. Usually I find that people - people who are not connected to dance and dancers - have no idea how much work, study, effort, and dedication goes into dancing.<P>That a four minute solo is the culmination of years of work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:07 pm 

I think that dance definetly attracts perfectionists, especially ballet. The frustrating thing is that RARELY do we get it perfect, or even CLOSE. Maybe that is what can make us neurotic, the simoultaneous pursuit and frustration of this pursiut. But when it DOES happen, it feels so great! As Woody Allen said in one of his movies (gosh, I can't believe I'm quoting Woody Allen...sorry lolol) "We want to get things right in art, because rarely do we get things exactly right in life". The organization of chaos into form, so to speak.<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited June 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail