public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who's No. 1 in dance: S.F. or N.Y.?
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 7:34 am 

What about Kansas City:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>A MECCA OF MODERN DANCE?<BR>KC's central location and sophisticated audiences support a strong dance scene</B><P>PAUL HORSLEY, Kansas City Star<P>Lithe explorations of stories from everyday life. Movements that alter electronic sounds which, in turn, inspire different motions by the dancer. Tightly clad women who put a choreographer's tale in front of you. <P>Such is the stuff of modern dance -- and Kansas City seems to get more than its share.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/printer.pat,fyi/3acca844.509,.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 9:50 am 

Just for the record, I wonder if any city worldwide can rival the international dance riches that London will enjoy in 2001:<P>The Bolshoi<BR>The Kirov<BR>Cullberg Ballet<BR>San Francisco Ballet<BR>La Scala Ballet<BR>Ballett Frankfurt<BR>Dutch National Ballet<BR>Mark Morris Dance Group<BR>Alvin Ailey<P>and of course the cream of the home grown companies:<P>The Royal Ballet (resident)<BR>Birmingham Royal Ballet ((two visits)<BR>English National Ballet (two visits)<BR>Rambert Dance Company (two visits)<BR>Northern Ballet Theatre<P>and perhaps another 200 or so other companies. Phew!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 4:38 pm 

All I can say is that SF and NY are different. But the notion that some people have held - the notion that NY is only the cultural center that can have national companies (ABT and NYCB) -- is simply outdated. In fact, it seems to me that at the moment, SFB enjoys a far better reputation in Europe than these 2 companies, especially with their ongoing European tours. Perhaps there should be more "ballet-/dance interaction" between NY and SF in the near future to understand that both have wonderful companies and serve as US dance representatives in this world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 7:17 pm 

I do love London, for its arts scene. Besides the dance companies, it has an incredible number of first-rate orchestras, opera companies, theater companies, museums, etc. You simply can't get bored in London.<P>And, oh, one thing interesting about watching the Royal Ballet in London: I remember sitting in a box with my aunt and uncle, taking in the premiere of the full-length ballet "Anastasia" while enjoying ice cream...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 8:00 am 

Ice cream during the performance, Azlan? The closest I've come to that was as a kid, going to see the Moiseyev at the OLD Madison Square Garden, and eating peanuts and throwing the shells on the floor during the performance. Everyone was doing it, and it was freaky fun, but it felt kind of sacrilegious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 9:08 am 
WHAT ABOUT CHICAGO???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 9:43 am 

don't know if it's still done, but ice cream has always been sold at covent garden.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 3:31 pm 

Actually, let me make a correction. I didn't really eat the ice cream. I don't eat ice cream at a performance... A relative purchased it for everyone in the box. To be nice, I had a couple of spoons and then offered it to someone else. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 3:46 pm 
Did you crack walnuts instead at the performance AZLAN???LOLOL!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 5:52 pm 

In Sadler's Wells you can take an ice cream or a drink in a plastic glass into the auditorium. And I do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 6:01 pm 

It was a performance of Anastasia. I was cracking other things instead...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:52 am 
OH OH!!!!(Azlan)