public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Top 20 Ballet Companies?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 11:47 am 

Christina - I just tried your link - and it works just FINE!!

Here is the link to the thread for summer intensives - as Jane Grey says you have to read all the way through it - as additional information appears in subsequent posts:

SUMMER INTENSIVES

<font size = -2><center>(Edited by salzberg to fix link)</center></font>

<small>[ 08-10-2002, 17:28: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:49 pm 

From the Princeton/ARB site:<P>Further Opportunities:<BR>Workshop students are eligible to be chosen for traineeships with American Repertory Ballet. Trainees take classes, rehearse and perform with the company and have a full one-year scholarship to Princeton Ballet School. They receive a stipend and pointe shoe allowance, and tour with the Company as casting demands.<BR> Recent ballets incorporating trainees include The Nutcracker, Septime Webre's Romeo and Juliet and Swan Lake, George Balanchine's Concerto Barocco, Serenade and Four Temperaments, and Graham Lustig's Midsummer Night's Dream. Trainees who have joined the company via Summer Workshop include students from Princeton Ballet School, the Harid Conservatory, and the Fiorello LaGuardia High School of Performing Arts. <P>From the BI site:<P>Company audition dates: <A HREF="http://www.balletinternationale.org/2001%20Audition%20Dates.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.balletinternationale.org/2001%20Audition%20Dates.htm</A> <P>I haven't really "explored" those sites in a long time. There USED to be a link to an article on the BI site that tickled me. It was a story about how the AD used an ex Kirov "costumer friend" in Russia to build his costumes for BI, and by renting them to other companies, he was able continue to expand the BI wardrobe in a most impressive fashion and in a very economical manner. Resourceful in any event Image Must be a well DRESSED bunch of dancers.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited March 09, 2001).]

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 1:56 pm 

Wow---some folks are incredibly knowledgeable about regional ballet. I'm impressed!<BR>I think the main thing I've learned from reading this thread is the following: artistic directors change companies quicker than some people change shoes! And policies about contracts/apprentices/trainees seem to vary so widely, it seems like luck and timing (and talent of course) play a big part in that first "big break"!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 2:48 pm 

Trina I actually PREFER it.<P>Regional ballet or even "non pro".<P>If I lived in Russia I'd probably be one of those folks that forked over two weeks wages to see the graduating class perform, but never buy a ticket to see the company perform.<P>But that's probably because I never danced myself. My dancer daughter most DEFINITELY has a different opinion.<P>I LOVE watching kids "do that well" while marveling at them also balancing school, adolesence and everything else.<P>And lots of regional ballet dancers also have families that don't involve "nannies" (babysitters at best sometimes) and manage to get up there and look wonderful.<P>If I enjoyed sports (which I don't) I'd probably follow college ball.<P>To ME, if somebody is given the luxury of spending every waking moment of their LIFE perfecting what they do, I just kind of EXPECT them to perfect.<P>If they aren't they should be fired. <P>Just kidding. Just kidding.<P>I will always be grateful for having seen Kirov do Swan Lake. I've never seen COLOR like that. It was amazing. But other than that - - - - - - - I'd just as soon watch the workshop performances at SAB. More exciting.

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 4:08 pm 

Jane Grey, now that you mention it, I too used to enjoy the workshop/school performances at SAB. I remember one in l981 (I think) when a graduating 15/16 yr. old named Darci Kistler danced "Flower Festival at Genanzo" (Bournonville, forgive any mispelling; coached and re-staged by Stanley Williams,some peoplem may know who he was). It's fun to see students because they have SO much enthusiasm, with none of the "star-hype" which comes later.<P>OOPs //sorry for digression. This has NOTHING to do with "Top 20 Ballet Companies"!<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited March 09, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 4:39 pm 

In the tapes "Backstage at the Kirov" and "Children of Theater Street" there is footage of the graduation performance from the school....and that enthusiasm and joyousness is palpable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 7:18 pm 

An important factor to consider is also repertory in relation to your daughter's interests. I know that ARB is a company with a commitedly eclectic repertory. One dancer I worked with left it because she felt she was trained as a ballet dancer, and was doing almost no ballet. On the other hand, if your daughter is interested in more contemporary repertory, she may find that congenial.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2001 3:56 pm 

From viewings over the past year or so (the latest being a performance last night of New Jersey Ballet's full-length -- or almost full-length -- Sleeping Beauty), and from the point of view of quality of the dancers, I'd go for American Repertory Ballet over New Jersey Ballet right now. The pendulum swings, but NJB seems to be in a slump. Their top dancers looked either over-the-hill or under-coached. ARB looks alive and excited. Elaine Kudo, who was a soloist with ABT, is a ballet mistress there, and seems to be doing good work. This week, ARB is presenting a program of works by female choreographers (including Kudo), called "Dancing Through the Ceiling." However, if a more classical rep is what you are looking for, this may not be the answer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 11:25 am 

Thanks again to all of you for your replies. At this point - it is probably more a matter of getting them to pick her rather than the other way around - but this helps a lot in terms of where to try to target her efforts. <BR> To broaden the "regions" of the question - here are some others. What do you know about the strength and reputation of the following: Ballet Austin, Ballet Memphis, Richmond Ballet, Kansas City, Eugene Ballet or Oregon Ballet Theater, Colorado Ballet, or Dance Connecticut (I know they've gone through changes, have they settled down?) Any others that deserve a good look that I haven't mentioned? CarolC<BR> <BR><P>------------------<BR>CarolC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 11:39 am 

Here is a trainee/apprentice link for Richmond Ballet.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.richmondballet.com/cfd/taa.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.richmondballet.com/cfd/taa.asp</A> <P>It only gives basic information, and it is lumped together with the summer program info. But it DOES give you an email contact.<P>Interestingly, my daughter knows a girl that danced with Richmond briefly, Ballet Austin and then Ballet Internationale (for a few years now).<P>I've never spoken to her though, so I can't give you any inside scoop on them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 12:11 pm 

Comments about commpanies: Eugene Ballet is directed by Toni Pimble (I believe) a very highly regarded female choreographer. Kansas City Ballet was Balanchine-influenced, but Todd Bolender has retired and new AD is William Whitener, a former Twyla Tharp dancer. Oregon Ballet Theatre is very much in the old style Joffrey mold. Directed by James Canfield (former Joffrey dancer)who's very much into the avant-garde, rock ballet genre. He is considered controversial because his works are so different the "traditional ballet" asesthetic; he's caught a bit of local flak on that score. Hope this helps you in your research. With the way ADs change companies, some of the above info. may be obsolete.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 12:13 pm 

I know some about Oregon Ballet Theatre. One thing that is kind of interesting is that there are no principals, solosits or corps dancers. There are just the company and apprentices. However, even the apprentices sometimes dance solos. The school company have just moved into a much nicer faucility so it's great for rehersals. I know the school director is leaving at the end of the year but I don't think that will affect the company much. I've also heard that the artistic director (James Canfield) may be leaving but I don't know for sure. OBT puts on the Nutcracker every year and usually one or two other story ballets. Then they usually do a couple choreographers showcases. These usually have three dances in them. One dance is usually classical. And then there are two others that are more modern or contemperary. Some of these can be REALLY strange. This would be a good company if you enjoy more modern works. However, if you enjoy classical ballet more this company wouldn't be for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 2:35 pm 

Old post, sry guys, but i thought i'd just add my two cents. Here are some that come to mind right away:<P>NYCB<BR>ABT<BR>Boston Ballet<BR>San Fransico Ballet<BR>Miama City Ballet<BR>Joffrey Ballet<BR>Pennsylvania Ballet<BR>Atlanta Ballet<BR>Milwaulki Ballet<P>Ok well i thought i could think of more but i just blanked out,sry!! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:42 am 
Its fine TwinkleToes-this topic is fun!!!