public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Local critics favoring local companies
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 2:09 pm 

Has anyone noticed a trend concerning local dance critics favoring local choreographers? Or rather, inflating the review to rave about a choreographer or piece that might be just so-so. For instance, I noticed from the Alvin Ailey/San Francisco tour, that the Alonzo King piece got RAVE reviews from SF critics. I just didn't feel, in my opinion, that the piece "Following the Subtle Current Upstream" warranted the rave reviews. It was "ok", but the not exemplary. Since Alonzo King is a local choreographer, do critics feel compelled to support the "home team"? I can think of some exceptions. Wasn't there a NY critic, (I'm not sure which one) who despised Peter Martins' choreography?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Local critics favoring local companies
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 2:30 pm 

Perhaps a case could be made for just the opposite - that the "foreigner" is seen as more capable......something to the effect of the prophet being unsung in his own land.<P>That is what happened, as we discussed in another thread to many American dancers when the Russians were defecting to the West. And, when a dancer had to have a Russian name. It was not just the audience that was at fault but also the critics, as I recall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 3:32 pm 

I think sometimes there is an urge to make a star out of the person with home-field advantage, but I think there is equally a sense that if it comes from somewhere else, it must be good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 4:38 pm 

Keahi - welcome - I said hello in the "About Criticaldance" forum - but hello again here.<P>Maybe you could start a thread and tell us about dance in Hawaii - and what island you are on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 4:52 pm 

Yes Keahi---aloha! What island are you on? I honeymooned on Kauii, so I have a soft spot for that heavenly place!<BR>Yes, I can see that you and Basheva have a point. "If it's from somewhere else, it must be better" mentality!<BR>Do tell us more about dance in Hawaii, especially native hula dance!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 3:18 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Perhaps a case could be made for just the opposite - that the "foreigner" is seen as more capable......something to the effect of the prophet being unsung in his own land.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Then there are those cities which seem to have the worst of both worlds -- the big local ballet company and the touring companies get all the press while the smaller local companies are ignored.<p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited March 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:02 am 

I have noticed here in San Diego for many years, when the local newspaper critic critiques the local ballet company, if anything is said that is in the least bit negative the newspaper is flooded with letters. These letters take the critic severely to task.<P>It becomes very obvious when one reads these "Letters to the Arts Section" that it is the work of the parents/supporters of that local company. It reminds me of the "clacquers" (sp?) who used to only clap for a particular ballet dancer and loudly hiss and boo at all the others. It became a war of the "clacquers" - almost to the destruction of the ballet in the Paris of the mid-to late 1800's.<P>I think it has helped to keep ballet from true growth in this city.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:07 pm 

For those of you who seem enthusiastic about Hawaii and dance in Hawaii -- prior to dealing with cancer, I was quite interested in University of Hawaii-Manoa's graduate dance program. Did you know they offer FIVE dance graduate degrees? There's one in particular that appealed to me which concentrates on ethnic dances of the region. <BR> <A HREF="http://www2.hawaii.edu/~uhmdance/about_02.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www2.hawaii.edu/~uhmdance/about_02.htm</A>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 10:42 pm 

Trina, FYI, Alonzo King also got rave reviews at Jacob's Pillow. However, I suspect the raves will simmer down after a few more seasons. Interestingly, many who see his company for the first time are amazed but then when they've seen enough, they'd rather move on. I'm still scratching my head over his popularity when so many in the dance community have confided in me, off the record, that they are bored by his repetitiveness. Part of it could be that, through his Dance Center, he is a champion and supporter of ballet in the SF Bay Area. How can you fault a guy for having that kind of vision?

Profile E-mail