public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dance as a universal language
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 5:41 am 

this is almost a cliche, but how do you perceive the phrase:<P> dance is a universal language<P>or do you see dance and its influences on world society in a different context?<P>I find dance is a universal language because it consummately conveys so many valuable stories, lessons, cultural mores and an intense feeling of unity, of both physical, emotional and mental elements. The other unity dance creates is of the world. No matter what someones background is, one can watch, admire and appreciate another's dancing methods and figure out how it relates to a particular society as a whole. Moreover, observing someone else's dancing traditions also helps us to reflect and question the value of not only our own dance methods, but our core values and beliefs that are explicitly demonstrated through dance. Furthermore, dance is an integral part of human behaviour and affects all individuals, thus, dance is an important cultural indicator of a society's values and beliefs. Also, the impulse to move is instilled in all humans and is one of the oldest traditions in the world. Dance, is therefore universal in this way.<P>Please let me know how you feel on this subject. I am dying to hear both passionate sides to this argument, so don't be afraid to post your opinion! whatever it may be!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: dance as a universal language
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 10:33 am 

As far as I understand it, current dance research is moving away from Universality ideas and looking more at individual dance phenomena in detail. Previous attempts at grand theories are out of favour.<P>Having said that I can see that worldwide folk like to dance.

Profile E-mail