public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Diary - Monday, Day 1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 2:29 pm 

A warm, sticky day in London and I suspect that we'll all be cursing the inadequacy of the less than two year old ROH air conditioning system this evening. Later - we did!<P>The Company took class on the Auditorium stage today and from 2 to 5 there was a Dress Rehearsal there, which was also the opportunity for a photo shoot. It was the first time that the dancers had performed with The Royal Ballet Sinfonia, the orchestra of Birmingham Royal Ballet, but the press people told me that it all went well. The problem with the size of studios available now has also been solved.<P>An interesting rumour from outside the Company that they may be back for a third visit before too many more years have passed. Jolly good say I. <P><BR>There is one change of casting for this evening, Joan Boada is not fully fit and will dance in 'Fanfare', but not in 'Magrittomania' or 'Symphony in Three Movements'.<P>At the performance there was a good audience - not full, but maybe 80% at a guess. A few famous faces around including Wayne Sleep and Bruce Samson back in his old theatre with his new Company. Good news for present day ballet choreographers as the recent works by Mark Morris and Yuri Possokhov came out well ahead of two off-day pieces from the Greats Balanchine and Robbins, with 'Magrittomania' getting the warmest applause. The applause was muted for the understated 'A Garden', but it is an elegant, high quality work in my book.<P>If I had to pick two dancers from the many fine ones on display this evening I'd have to go with Yuan Yuan Tan in 'Magrittomania' and Roman Rykine in the same piece and Symphony in Three Movements'.<P>All in all the first night lived up to our high expectations. Welcome back SFB!<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited August 13, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Diary - Monday, Day 1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:00 pm 

I believe the SF audience had about the same reaction for the above works.<P>And, Bruce Sansom keeps popping up everywhere, doesn't he? Image

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]