public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Reflections on the Nutcracker Season 2001
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:56 am 

An amusing and enlightening article (thank you, Mr Bale):<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Critic cracks under pressure of `Nutcracker'<P>Theodore Bale, Boston Herald<P>...<P>I'll admit right off that it has taken me more than three decades to eagerly anticipate what has become the most habitually performed ballet in dance history. During my childhood in the 1960s, there weren't many live performances of ``Nutcracker'' to attend in the quiet corner of Connecticut where I was raised.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/danc11302001.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:03 am 

Another personal perspective, this one from Jordan Levin:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>`Nutcracker' a leap down memory lane<P>Jordan Levin, Miami Herald<P>I didn't see The Nutcracker, the quintessential children's ballet, until I was an adult. There were no ballet companies near the small Vermont town where I grew up, and by the time I had moved to New York City, I usually chose modern over classical dance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.miami.com/herald/content/features/critics/dance/digdocs/100309.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 7:12 am 

Hello all, I have renamed this thread from "Nutcracker 2001" to "Reflections on the Nutcracker Season 2001" to better reflect the direction of the discussion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:38 am 

An Article in The Guardian (found via the FT site) on the history of The Nutcracker and why it is still so popular.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Christmas is coming and around Britain at least four companies are fattening up their budgets on box office takings from The Nutcracker. Hundreds more around the world will be raking in the profits too. During the ballet's 109 years, its ability to shift tickets has grown dramatically - rather than diminished - with age.<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=011210001031&query=ballet" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:08 am 

Who's she talking about? Image<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>'Nutcracker' brings out the grouches<P>Janet Konttinen, SF Chronicle<P>GROUCHY PEOPLE. THEY'RE the ones with the hard-set mouths and furrowed foreheads. If you look at them and smile, they return your gesture with a leering glare, brought on by some malicious triumph in their personal battle of psychological warfare. And around Christmastime, you can find them in droves at the "Nutcracker" ballet -- a San Francisco family holiday tradition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/10/DD188829.DTL target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:27 am 

From the Boston Globe:<P><B>'The Nutcracker' conjures magic the old-fashioned way</B><P><BR>By Sam Allis, Globe Staff, 12/17/2001<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Forget ''Harry Potter,'' ''The Nutcracker'' is still the best kids show in town. This has nothing to do with Christmas and everything to do with magic.<P>Like ''Harry,'' ''The Nutcracker'' is about kids, for kids. But where the movie is magic, the ballet is magical. The genius of its magic is its primitiveness. Hollywood special effects are so astonishing that they no longer astonish us. Will we yawn at ''Terminator 3''?<P>The special effects at the Wang Center, in contrast, are so pedestrian they enchant us. They take adults back to a time when people routinely cranked things offstage to make things onstage fly. (Remember the scene behind the curtain in ''The Wizard of Oz''?) We can almost hear the hydraulics driving the Christmas tree up toward the ceiling as it grows before our eyes during Clara's dream on Christmas Eve.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/351/living/_The_Nutcracker_conjures_magic_the_old_fashioned_way+.shtml" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 6:07 am 

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:<P><B>A holiday obsession <P>For many Phila.-area families, 'The Nutcracker' is a way of life.</B> <BR> <BR>By Chris Gray <BR>INQUIRER STAFF WRITER <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Nutcracker fever crept up slowly on the Andersons of Mullica Hill.<P>It started in September, when Ballet South of New Jersey gave the three Anderson girls prime parts. Then the troupe drafted mother Vinnie as costume mistress and cast father Lee as Herr Drosselmeyer. Suddenly, their lives became all Nutcracker, all the time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/12/18/local_news/SNUT18.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:27 pm 

Article found via the FT site on a production in South Africa.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>THE great thing about The Nutcracker is its durability. This ballet has survived more than a century of various kinds of revolution and continues to usher in Christmas with its special brand of wistful celebration.<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=011219008019&query=ballet" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3