CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: VCR Alert: Royal Ballet's Nutcracker
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 10:53 am 

The RB version of the Nutcracker will be shown on PBS on the 26th. Check your local listings for times. It stars Alina Cojocaru, Yoshida, Cope, Putrov and Dowell.

&nbsp

<font size=-2>[Stuart did a little work on spellings]

[Azlan edited the VCR Alert in the title]</font>

<small>[ 24 December 2002, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Post subject: Re: VCR Alert: Royal Ballet's Nutcracker
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 11:23 am 

I haven't seen the filmed version, but the stage production is a treat. Sir Peter Wright revised his already successful production for the Royal Ballet in 2000 and put in more dancing for Clara and the Nutcracker. The cast in this TV version is very strong and you'd have to have a heart of stone not to enjoy Cojocaru and Putrov as the young duo. <P>Sir Peter Wright at 75(?) continues to be a key figure in world ballet and one of the most loved. I had an e-mail today from an ex-Birmingham Royal Ballet dancer who said, 'Peter Wright is a LOVELY man. When I was at BRB and he would come to see the stage calls he was always so attentive and made everyone feel like working even <BR>harder.' That's the way to do it!<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 24, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 11:10 pm 

On ballet.co, Brendan McCarthy, an experienced TV Producer, goes behind the scenes for the recording of the RB 'Don Q' for the BBC. Well worth a look as you prepare to watch the TV recording.<P>Here is the <A HREF="http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/happening/2377.html" TARGET=_blank><B>link to the article.</B></A>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 2:08 am 

<B>Children's Work Performed as if Intended for Adults</B><BR>By JENNIFER DUNNING in The NY Times<BR> <BR> <BR>Peter Wright's production of "The Nutcracker," which will be broadcast tonight, may surprise dancegoers who are used to George Balanchine's version of this holiday classic. Performed by the Royal Ballet of Britain, this televised "Nutcracker" is interestingly bleak and far less cozy than the Balanchine staging; this is a ballet for adults more than for children.<P>The Wright production departs from the norm by giving the story a psychological frame, though blessedly less dark a one than Rudolf Nureyev's Freudian version in 1967. The Wright "Nutcracker" opens with a story-setting scene in the workshop of Herr Drosselmeyer, a sad and mysterious old inventor. He mourns his beloved nephew, Hans-Peter, who was turned into a nutcracker by a mouse queen after Drosselmeyer invented a trap that killed off many of the mice in the palace. Only a young girl's love can restore him. <P><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/25/arts/television/25DUNN.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 7:22 pm 

<B>KPBS failed to get rights to air 'Nutcracker' early</B><BR>From The San Diego UNION-TRIBUNE <P><BR>A broadcast of "Great Performances: The Nutcracker from the Royal Ballet" on KPBS/Channel 15 did not occur as scheduled Friday night because the station did not obtain permission to air it. <P>Permission was required from the program's co-producer, Thirteen/WNET New York, to air the ballet five days before its scheduled national telecast. <P>A spokeswoman for KPBS said program director Keith York assumed he was going to get a pre-release from WNET, but the authorization did not arrive. The broadcast has been rescheduled for 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. today on KPBS. <P><A HREF="http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20011225-9999_1m25kpbs.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 8:04 pm 

Yes, we finally did get to see this film (and tape it)- it was aired twice today.<P>I really did enjoy it. This was the first time I have seen Alina Cojocaru and she is a lovely dancer, indeed, free and easy technique and captivating personality. All of the dancing was a treat. <P>It was also my first time to see Miyako Yoshida. I did like her too, though I felt she was not fluid enough - legato - to match the music of the Sugar Plum Fairy grand pas de deux. Jonathan Cope and Ivan Putrov were very fine.<P>The company as a whole is looking grand. And, of course, it is always a treat to see Dowell in any role. I believe this was filmed (according to the titles) in 2000.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited December 25, 2001).]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 11:05 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A sumptuous Nutcracker' leaps onto the small screen<P>Wilma Salisbury, Cleveland Plain Dealer<P>"The Nutcracker" traditionally opens on a Christmas party where a Victorian family and their guests await the arrival of the eccentric toymaker, Godfather Drosselmeyer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/entertainment/1009367701152661.xml target=_blank>More</a>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:52 am 

Fastforward to 2002: I think it's being broadcast this week on PBS again. Check your local listings.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]