public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ABT - Nutcracker - California Performances - 2002
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:05 pm 

American Ballet Theatre will be dancing "Nutcracker" at the Orange County Performing Arts Center, Costa Mesa, California on December 18-22, 2002.

Get your tickets early, I have mine.

<small>[ 12-07-2002, 10:21: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ABT - Nutcracker - California Performances - 2002
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:27 am 

Perhaps it's because I've only been watching dance for a few years, but I feel that I never tire of the "Nutcracker."

I've budgeted the McKenzie version for at least 3 if not 4 viewings starting this upcoming Sunday at the Kodak Theater at Hollywood and Highland. This amazing version (vision?) of this holiday perennial arrives at the Kodak this weekend 12/6 to 12/15 then moves on towards slightly warmer climes at the Orange County Performing Arts Center 12/18 to 12/22. I'm sure ballet diehards like I'm sure many southern Calfornia CD'ers are won't want to miss that amazing Unicorn and a chance to muse on its gender permeability...

I was too busy to get the Sunday LA Times. Does anybody know if casting information has been released yet? I didn't see it on their website.

And, to remind you of how much we all enjoyed last year's visit...

ABT Nutcracker 2001 in L.A.

psst... Moderators, can you fix the spelling of this post's heading to "...California Performances..."

Stuart adds: Your word is my command.

<small>[ 12-07-2002, 10:22: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:01 am 

Jeff,

I'm thinking of seeing ABT at Kodak tomorrow (Sunday). Any suggestions for seating? Is the orchestra section too close, or is the parterre section better? I don't want to be so close that I can't appreciate the entire stage design, and choreography. There don't seem to be very good seating charts available for the theater.

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:15 pm 

For the Kodak, I suggest sitting in the Parterre section, which is basically a slightly raised rear orchestra. If you want to sit closer, avoid the sides of the theater in the front, as the theater is very wide and the proscenium will block a good chunk of the stage. Seating runs from number 1 to number X starting from the right of the theater (audience's perspective). Example: Orchestra R, seat 1 is the extreme right of the theater. Orchestra L, seat 1 is the right side of the left orchestra, meaning its on one of the center aisles. Hope that makes sense.

I say play it safe and sit in the Parterre - even the sides are great there. The mezzanine is a bit too high. But the view from the parterre is just right. Also, in the parterre, the sound from the orchestra has had a chance to appropriately mix - something that doesn't happen in the orchestra.

If you can make it to the Orange County run, the acoustics are much better and the theater is much nicer for viewing dance. It is also much easier to get into and out of...

<small>[ 12-07-2002, 14:32: Message edited by: art076 ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:30 pm 

Here is the casting I have for ABT's Southern California runs, both for the Kodak and for Orange County.

NUTCRACKER CASTING, KODAK THEATRE

Friday, December 6 at 7:30 pm
Sugar Plum Fairy - Paloma Herrera
Cavalier - Marcelo Gomes
Clara - To be cast
Nutcracker Joaquin De Luz
Drosselmeyer Victor Barbee

Saturday, December 7 at 2:00 pm
Sugar Plum Fairy - Michele Wiles (debut)
Cavalier - David Hallberg (debut)
Clara - Elizabeth Gaither
Nutcracker - Herman Cornejo
Drosselmeyer - Guillaume Graffin

Saturday, December 7 at 7:30 pm
Sugar Plum Fairy - Irina Dvorovenko
Cavalier - Maxim Belotserkovsky
Clara - Maria Riccetto
Nutcracker - Gennadi Saveliev
Drosselmeyer - Ethan Brown

Sunday, December 8 at 2:00 pm
Sugar Plum Fairy - Stella Abera
Cavalier - Carlos Molina
Clara - Erica Cornejo
Nutcracker - Sascha Radetsky

Sunday, December 8 at 7:30 pm
Cavalier - Marcelo Gomes
Clara - To be cast
Nutcracker - Joaquin De Luz
Drosselmeyer - Victor Barbee

Tuesday, December 10 at 7:30 pm
Sugar Plum Fairy - Irina Dvorovenko;
Cavalier - Maxim Belotserkovsky

Wednesday, December 11 at 7:30 pm
Sugar Plum Fairy - To be cast
Cavalier - Gennadi Saveliev
Clara - Anne Milewski
Nutcracker - Craig Salstein

Thursday, December 12 at 7:30 pm
Sugar Plum Fairy - Michele Wiles
Cavalier - David Hallberg
Clara - Maria Riccetto
Nutcracker - Gennadi Saveliev

Friday, December 13 at 7:30 pm
Sugar Plum Fairy - Julie Kent
Cavalier - Angel Corella
Clara - To be cast
Nutcracker - Joaquin De Luz

Saturday, December 14 at 2:00 pm
Sugar Plum Fairy - Stella Abera
Cavalier - Carlos Molina
Clara - Renata Pavam
Nutcracker - Carlos Lopez

Saturday, December 14 at 7:30 pm
Cavalier - Marcelo Gomes
Clara - Erica Cornejo
Nutcracker - Sascha Radetsky

Sunday, December 15 at 2:00 pm
Cavalier - Angel Corella
Clara - Anne Milewski
Nutcracker - Craig Salstein

NUTCRACKER CASTING, ORANGE COUNTY

Wednesday, December 18 at 8 p.m.
Clara: Maria Riccetto
The Nutcracker: Gennadi Saveliev
Sugar Plum Fairy: Paloma Herrera
Cavalier: Marcelo Gomes
Drosselmeyer: Victor Barbee

Thursday, December 19 at 8 p.m.
Clara: Elizabeth Gaither
The Nutcracker: Herman Cornejo
Sugar Plum Fairy: Julie Kent
Cavalier: Angel Corella
Drosselmeyer: Ethan Brown

Friday, December 20 at 8 p.m.
Clara: Erica Cornejo
The Nutcracker: Joaquin De Luz
Sugar Plum Fairy: Veronika Part
Drosselmeyer: Guillaume Graffin

Saturday, December 21 at 2 p.m.
Clara: Sandra Brown
The Nutcracker: Sascha Radetsky
Sugar Plum Fairy: Gillian Murphy
Cavalier: Ethan Stiefel

Saturday, December 21 at 8 p.m.
Clara: Renata Pavam
The Nutcracker: Carlos Lopez
Sugar Plum Fairy: Stella Abrera
Cavalier: Gennadi Saveliev
Drosselmeyer: Victor Barbee

Sunday, December 22 at 2 p.m.
Clara: Anne Milewski
The Nutcracker: Craig Salstein
Sugar Plum Fairy: Veronika Part
Drosselmeyer: Ethan Brown

Sunday, December 22 at 7:30 p.m.
Clara: Elizabeth Gaither
The Nutcracker: Herman Cornejo
Sugar Plum Fairy: Gillian Murphy
Cavalier: Ethan Stiefel

--------

I feel like the more interesting casting comes in Orange County, with Veronika Part (ABT's new acquisition from the Kirov) and Gillian Murphy showing up to do Sugar Plum, along with Ethan Stiefel. There are also a few interesting Clara/Nutcracker combinations in OC. The most interesting part of the Kodak run will be Michele Wiles and David Halberg's debuts as Sugar Plum and the Cavalier. Wiles did a great Medora out here in Los Angeles, and of course, the pair went to the Bruhn competition together last spring (which Wiles won). Looks like she's right on track to become a principal!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:14 pm 

Art076,

Many thanks for the venue advice as well as the cast list. Par terre tomorrow afternoon it is.

I was hoping to see Angel Corella and Julie Kent, but I guess that will wait until they come back to OC in July.

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:01 am 

You are remarkably well informed, Art076, both in on seating and especially the cast lists. It would be hard to add much to your seating recs though I personally still prefer the orchestra section because I like to see some free space below the dancers when they jump.

On the other hand, I recognize that "Nutcracker" still retains some of the spatial-graphical qualities of the early ballets which were meant to be seen from galleries perched above the dance floor. Perhaps this accounts in some little way for the antique flavor of this holiday favorite.

I saw Paloma Herrera and Marcelo Gomes as Sugar Plum and Friend last year and I look forward to them tomorrow. My schedule book tells me that for my visions of Sugar Plums, there will be also Julie Kent and Veronika Part. Can anybody tell us a little about this (for me) new name, Veronika Part?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:06 am 

I've never seen Veronika Part, but this is what I know. She is from the Kirov. Initially she was involved in artistic gymnastics, and has the typical build of that type of gymnast - very flexible, with hyperextended knees and very arched feet.

I also read, more than once, that she's an Ava Gardner look-alike. I guess she looks more like Ava Gardner than like Marilyn Monroe, but I think it's kind of a stretch.

I was going to post links to some pictures of her, but I'm running out of steam.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:14 am 

After seeing two performances of “Nutcracker” at the Kodak, here’s what I have to say: it’s a sweet production, but a flawed one. I liked both casts; but I’ll start nitpicking later on...

I saw two casts (they’re already fiddling with the Kodak casting, as you’ll see from my lists below). The company was likely exhausted at these two performances. Word around the theater on Friday was that apparently, thanks to the East Coast snowstorms, they ended up getting to L.A. on Friday at 1 p.m. – 6.5 hours before performance time. This when they were supposed to have been here since Wednesday evening!!

Friday 12/6 – Paloma Herrera (Sugar Plum), Marcelo Gomes (Cavalier), Erica Cornejo (Clara), and Joaquin De Luz (Nutcracker)

Saturday 12/7 at 2 p.m. – Michele Wiles (Sugar Plum), David Hallberg (Cavalier), Sandra Brown (Clara), and Sascha Radetsky (Nutcracker)

Paloma Herrera was sublime as Sugar Plum. Sugar Plum’s role in this production is minimal; she’s kind of tossed aside and gets inserted at random places before coming back to do the Grand Pas de Deux. And so, without any real connection to the plot, the Sugar Plum’s role becomes focused solely on the big dance. Paloma shines quite brightly in the Grand Pdd. Though I feel she lacks expressiveness in many of her other roles, Sugar Plum doesn’t really ask for much of that, so all she has to do is dance beautifully and the audience is hooked. And boy can she spin (even if we only get to see one impressive passage of “spinning”- during the adagio of the Grand Pdd. The “big spinning” section that is usually at the end of the Sugar Plum variation is mysteriously sliced out of the score in this production...hm...). Michele Wiles, making her debut in the role on Saturday, was a nice enough Sugar Plum, though being her first time in the role, you have to give her some leeway. I said earlier that her casting would be very interesting to watch in this run, mostly because I thought she did so great as Medora this past July. And while she did fine here, there was something slightly lacking – she was like a technically clean porcelain doll. Pretty, but somewhat lifeless. I’m sure she’ll grow into it with time, but an overall very good debut I’d say. As their Cavaliers, Marcelo Gomes partnered Paloma exquisitely. In his variation, it was like he was floating. On Saturday afternoon, however, Hallberg had a few mishaps partnering Wiles, showing some difficulty with the lifts. The poor guy just looked exhausted by the end of the whole thing; again, however, I think this may have had to do with “first time” nerves. He was great in the variations and coda.

The Nutcracker and Clara have a strange role in this production: a now you see them, now you don’t sort of thing. They pop up in strange places during the Waltz of the Flowers, jump around a bit, then float away again. But done well, dancers can definitely make their mark. McKenzie’s choreography for the Act I pas de deux (after the battle scene) is very athletic, involving lots of big jumps and complicated lifts. As such, it has the tendency to revert to a big series of tricks instead of a pretty, romantic-feeling pas de deux. On Friday, the Act I pas de deux (after the battle scene) was a little ragged; Erica Cornejo and Joaquin De Luz were definitely just trying to get through all the lifts – but again, these people had been in airports and on planes all day and the day before that. Saturday afternoon, Sandra Brown and Sascha Radetsky made the pas de deux flow much better. In the individual roles themselves, Cornejo was more girlish and better suited to Clara; Brown was quite tall, and while she danced beautifully, made for a slightly unconvincing little girl. Joaquin De Luz had much more stage presence than Radetsky; Radetsky has what my professor called a “camera face,” that is that he didn’t quite project out to the audience quite as well as De Luz did.

In the smaller roles, Stella Abrera made quite a mark with her brief appearance as the Snow Queen on Saturday afternoon, outshining the previous night’s Queen. On Friday, Michele Wiles was slightly subdued in the same role; though when she first entered the stage, the first thing I thought was that she was really really tall – she seemed to tower over everyone.

The divertissements were danced well on both nights; but they don’t really have a point in McKenzie’s version. They’re just kind of there...Waltz of the Flowers was very pretty. And it gave the corps a chance to shine. The corps was excellent on Friday; they were great on Saturday, too. However, at the beginning of the waltz at the matinee, a baby started crying REALLY loudly at the beginning and this seemed to throw a few of the dancers off guard. One corps member stood out (in a good way): Misty Copeland. She has a wonderful smile and had great stage presence among the corps.

Confusing aspects of this production: why the Sugar Plum doesn’t do a thing with Clara and the Nutcracker, instead running away from them most of the time. The unicorn: what in the world is THAT doing there? Drosselmeyer: pops up out of nowhere in very random places; also talks to the wooden Nutcracker and thinks it has a beating heart. This is almost like a holdover from some versions of Nutcracker where the doll is Drosselmeyer’s nephew that has been trapped in doll form by a spell. But there is no indication of that in McKenzie’s production, so the references are somewhat odd.

Charming aspects of this production: the colorful sets (which include inflating flowers and beautifully painted “snowy” act curtains), the Pacific Symphony Orchestra’s playing of the Tchaikovsky score, the Walt of the Snowflakes (even though the children’s choir was embarrassingly out of pitch – yikes), the Walt of the Flowers, and the dancers having their own fun in the opening living room scene.

The production is somewhat messy and lacks narrative cohesion. As a result, Act 2 drags on forever (kids started crying and getting restless midway through Act II at both performances). However, the Walt of the Snowflakes and the Waltz of the Flowers were both great and that’s what you’re likely to leave remembering. With the right dancers, the effect of the show is a sweet one, what with all the skilled dancers that ABT has.

So that’s my early report (Wow that was long...). Not quite as well written as the fantastic reports everyone else has been doing, but here nonetheless! We’ll see if I can manage to see any other casts (I really want to see some of the OC casting!).

--Art

<small>[ 12-09-2002, 01:43: Message edited by: art076 ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:56 pm 

Interesting that you note the Orange County shows have more "A" list cast members. Theres a very good reason. Recognizing the importance of marquee name talent and the draw they have for the audience, the Orange County Performing Arts Center makes touring companies guarantee certain names will appear during the run. The Kodak, in another tip of the hat to the fact it's run by sport promoters and not an arts management organization, does not require "A" list names be attached to touring shows.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:34 pm 

Quote:
A 'Nutcracker' fortunate to make dreams come true

Lewis Segal, LA Times

The mechanical balloon on the proscenium is temporarily grounded. The airbags that inflate to become flowers have a mind of their own. By mistake, Child-Mouse #11 turns on Child-Mouse #10's cue, and it keeps snowing in the parlor.

No matter. Despite such glitches -- and the company's delayed, storm-tossed arrival -- the dancers of American Ballet Theatre have enough skill and spirit to make Kevin McKenzie's familiar, undistinguished "Nutcracker" full of memorable moments at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood.
more

<small>[ 12-09-2002, 08:41: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:11 pm 

Show: Sunday, December 8, 2PM at the Kodak Theatre
Cast:
Clara: Sandra Brown
Nucracker Prince: Sascha Radetsky
Sugar Plum Doll: Misty Copeland
Toy Soldier Doll: Carlos Lopez
Snowflakes: Erin Ackert, Maria Bystrova, Amanda Cobb, Carmen Corella, Ashley Ellis, Elizabeth Gaither, Yuriko Kajiya, Simone Messmer, Luciana Paris, Renata Pavam, Carrie Peterson, Angela Snow, Sarawanee Tanatanit, Melissa Thomas, Kelley Waddell, Jennifer Whalen
Snow Queen: Anna Liceica
Sugar Plum Fairy: Stella Abrera
Cavalier: Carlos Molina

Seeking their annual fix of ballet magic on a Sunday afternoon, Nutcracker showgoers made the lobby of the Kodak Theatre an improbable contrast to its slick, synthetic Hollywood Boulevard surroundings of a sidewalk of stars with street vendors hawking maps to the homes of movie stars, a kitsch faux-Chinese movie theater, and an elephant statue that would better belong in Las Vegas. Would American Ballet Theatre's Nutcracker once again cast its spell successfully, and offer its audience a real piece of wonder?

Through a couple of pieces, some outstanding solo dancing, and good corps work, ABT succeeded very well. At the top of the list is the corps dancing in the Land of the Snow. Suggesting swirling snow flurries better than any stage effect, the dancing and the soft, romantic tutus of the all-female corps group worked in concert with fast, but fairly simple, and very musical choreography to fill the stage with living, moving snowfall. A steel-limbed Anna Liceica with sharp, precise technique added the requisite iciness to the soft snow as the Snow Queen. I found myself holding my breath throughout the piece, and was so fascinated by the movement that I often forgot about Sandra Brown's Clara and Sascha Radetsky's Nutcracker Prince, who were dancing away in the snow.

This doesn't mean Brown's dancing was anonymous. Brown's smallish size helped her fit in with the children on-stage, though her studied movement and polished technique made her stand out as more of an experienced older sister to the other kids. Her battement derriere into arabesque was especially beautiful, suggesting long and soft graceful lines, working in concert with the soft drape of her nightgown.

Radetsky offered solid, but unspectacular dancing. The many complicated and difficult lifts in Act I felt complicated and difficult. He didn't place a technical step wrong, but did not inspire with his dancing.

The other Act I highlight is Carlos Lopez's short dance as the Toy Soldier Doll. Characterized by sharp, fast, and almost machine-like beats and small jumps, Lopez, along with Misty Copeland's Sugar Plum Doll dance, was welcome relief in the overdrawn first scene introducing Clara and her family, which was made longer by being almost devoid of substantial dancing.

Act II offered Stella Abrera as the Sugar Plum Fairy, and Carlos Molina as her long- and plastic-limbed cavalier. Abrera had good technique in a solid balance and fully articulated feet and arms even in the fastest choreography. Molina supported her well, and was light and looked effortless in his solo work.

Of the various national dances, Erica Cornejo's and Isaac Stappas' sensual, adult Arabian adagio with some truly difficult partnering moves made for edge-of-the-seat excitement.

The corps once again danced well in the Waltz of the Flowers, and, when they didn't upstage the soloists sharing the stage with them, were their equal.

The Pacific Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Charles Barker, provided solid accompaniment, even though there were a few technical problems in some of the solo work. The orchestra provided flowing accounts of the more melodious moments, but could have more sharply characterized some of the faster music. For example, the Russian dance, and much of the music in the first scene of Act I were too soft in their attacks, relegating the music, which was also somewhat soft in volume, to background accompaniment.

The sets were appropriately colorful and festive. Especially memorable are the blooming flowers as winter turned into spring, and the successful suggestion of Clara shrinking down to mouse scale. Costumes were rich and colorful, except for the Act II unicorn which somehow looked slightly bare and incomplete.

ABT's Nutcracker succeeds in the most important sense --- transmitting the wonder of the Nutcracker through its dancing, especially its corps dancing. Having that is enough to make any other concerns about the production minor in comparison. Go see it.

--Andre

<small>[ 12-08-2002, 23:42: Message edited by: Andre Yew ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:21 am 

Saw ABT's Nutcracker at the Orange County Performing Arts Center Thursday night - and its certainly a holiday treat. OCPAC is a far superior hall to the Kodak, and the acoustical environment just made the entire show far better than it ever was in the "Hollywood Cave." Having the music unamplified and sound perfect, right next to you, just brings you in that much more - and the Pacific Symphony played wonderfully (not to mention the children's chorus during the Snowflakes scene was in tune here in Orange County!).

Here was the principal cast list:
Cavalier - Angel Corella

The best thing about the performance was the Act II Grand Pas de Deux. Julie Kent was simply exquisite, with each movement deliticately matching the music. And she never used her obvious virtuosity as a circus trick - it all flowed together so gracefully and looked completely effortless. Angel Corella added his own special flair to the role of the Cavalier, using pirouettes a la seconde during his variation in place of the normal choreography. And he partnered Kent wonderfully.

As Clara and the Prince, Elizabeth Gaither and Herman Cornejo lacked the flash and character of previous Claras and Nutcrackers, but performed admirably enough. Cornejo wowed with the occasional huge jump and perfect turns; Gaither was a bit wooden, but warmed up as the performance progressed. In the solo roles, Sascha Radetsky and Stella Abrera impressed with the Arabian Dance.

Overall, I was mighty impressed by how differently "Nutcracker" played in Orange County. The theater really does make a difference, and Segerstrom Hall just made the whole production that much cozier. Nutcracker just seemed to get lost in the immense Kodak, while the acoustical issues didn't help. In Orange County, everything worked magically. The production is definitely a sweet one; it made me smile and think Christmas-y things.

Contemplating a return visit to see either Veronika Part or Gillian Murphy....hm...

--art

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:48 am 

Interesting article on Veronika Part in the Orange County Register, written as a preview piece for ABT's Orange County Nutcracker run...

Quote:
Reaching new heights

By LAURA BLEIBERG
The Orange County Register

'I saw her dance the Lilac Fairy with the Kirov three years ago. While everyone else may have been focused on the ballerinas, I was riveted by her presence and wondered, 'Who is THAT girl?'"

- Kevin McKenzie, artistic director, American Ballet Theatre

Veronika Part is that girl (with apologies to Marlo Thomas).
more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:44 am 

Thanks for the comments, guys! I love it when a company tours Sou Cal -- we get so many impressions!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next