public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nutcracker Children
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 4:57 pm 

The children make it special:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Four local young dancers land plum part in Radio City show<P>Wilma Salisbury, Cleveland Plain Dealer<P>Olivia Gray Be was so nervous when she auditioned for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular that her toes went numb. A sixth-grader at Roxboro Middle School in Cleveland Heights, she was one of 139 Northeast Ohio ballet students vying for the role of Clara in a scene from "The Nutcracker."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/entertainment/100720264051792.xml target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nutcracker Children
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 4:57 pm 

The children at NYCB:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Keeping Her Charges On Their (Tiny) Toes</B><P>JENNIFER DUNNING, NY Times<P>THOSE who love the New York City Ballet production of "The Nutcracker" — and there are legions of closeted adult fans — tend to talk about the choreography and homey special effects in this standard-setting version. But there is another vital ingredient. And that is the children.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/02/arts/dance/02DUNN.html target=_blank><B>More</B></a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 5:04 pm 

According to what I have been reading of the history of this ballet children were included from the very first performance.<P> They were the children of Theater Street, from the School of the Mariinsky Ballet.<P>By the way, if you have never seen the film/tape of "The Children Of Theater Street", it is superb. The sequel is "Backstage at the Kirov." I have both tapes and they are a real delight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 5:22 pm 

Copied from a post by WordFox in the Backstage forum:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Running the show with the darlings has its own set of "special needs." "Jaded" grew out of REHEARSING five different casts of thIRty or so each for the same season. Even then, though, there were moments that made it worthwhile. One instance:<BR>In the midst of a somewhat tense all-day rehearsal; now into the third cast, with all the other youngsters sitting and watching; (and most of their parents sitting on the observation level wondering if I would make it through the afternoon without exploding). A total of perhaps 150 in the studio area - from Bon Bons to Snowflakes.<P>The third cast could NOT get the counts right. (Nothing worse than Soldiers marching in counterpoint). Could not turn at the same time; or point their guns in the correct direction. (Tension mounting)<P>When in the far, back, right-hand corner, the littlest of the first cast soldiers (approx. 5 yrs old), stood up from her group and began to walk slowly across the back of the room. (This, after several admonitions to everyone else to sit still and be quiet). As she progressed, more and more people became aware of her, and the proverbial "hush" fell over the room - no one knowing what I might do. <P>Reaching the far back left-hand corner, she turned and progressed toward the front of the studio - this taking her THROUGH the current batch of 21 soldiers lined up to march. Then, reaching the front left-hand corner, she turned and headed for me, sitting in the middle. By now, I had ALL of the silence I had asked for all day.<P>Upon reaching my chair, she very directly seated herself on my lap, looked up with a pained expression and said: "Mr. _____, my head hurts." (After several hours of rehearsal, so did mine, so I could sympathize.) I asked: "Well, _________, why does your head hurt." <P>After a momentary pause, thinking, she answered; "Because my mommy made my bun too tight." <P>The entire room went into hysterics, and after finding a Snowflake to help loosen her bun, we continued. <P>So now, whenever I see myself or anyone else taking what we do TOO seriously, I think back to that moment. Some people may think it is being jaded. What it really boils down to, though, is that "LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE A BUN THAT'S TOO TIGHT."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:50 am 

Someone sent this to me - from the Miami Herald:<P><B>`Nutcracker' a leap down memory lane</B><BR>by Jordan Levin<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I didn't see The Nutcracker, the quintessential children's ballet, until I was an adult. There were no ballet companies near the small Vermont town where I grew up, and by the time I had moved to New York City, I usually chose modern over classical dance.<P>But as I began to write about dance in Miami I had to review Nutcracker performances, sometimes several times in a weekend. So I began to take children with me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.miami.com/herald/content/features/arts/digdocs/100309.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:48 am 

The children at SFB, under Gloria Govrin's tutelage:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Young 'Nutcracker' stars have adult dedication to their art<P>Octavio Roca, SF Chronicle<P>It is a safe bet that the "Nutcracker" will make a lot of children happy this month, but few will be happier than Kianna Simensen and Jenny Winton, San Francisco Ballet's newest stars.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/03/DD79938.DTL target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:51 am 

The kids of SAB:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Tiny Dancers<P>EMILY EAKIN, NY Times<P>... from now until the end of the year, at the New York State Theater in Lincoln Center, audiences can glimpse some of the school's most promising works in progress: the 102 pint-size S.A.B. students hired to round out the cast of party guests, soldiers, mice, candy canes and angels in the City Ballet's lavish annual holiday production of ''The Nutcracker.''<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/02/magazine/02PHENOM.html?searchpv=past7days target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 7:05 am 

Copied from another thread:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Dreaming of taking a step up<BR>Journey to prized 'Nutcracker' role starts early</B><P>MARY LOUISE SCHUMACHER, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel<P>Three willowy girls in black leotards and pale pink tights prop themselves up on their pointe shoes every moment or two as they wait for rehearsal to begin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/arts/nov01/nutkids25112101.asp target=_blank><B>More</B></a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:01 pm 

This has nothing to do with the Nutcracker but it does talk about the gruelling holiday schedules of young performers:

Quote:
Young actors thrive on double duty
Teens juggle roles in 2 holiday productions

Elaine Schmidt, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Each day contains only 24 hours. But two area teenagers are challenging the clock this holiday season by holding roles in both the Milwaukee Repertory Theater's production of "A Christmas Carol" and First Stage Children's Theatre's production of "The Little Match Girl's Christmas Gift."
<a href=http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/arts/nov02/99642.asp target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]