CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pacific Northwest Ballet Nutcracker, 2002
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:05 pm 

Quote:
For ballet master, 'Nutcracker' season always comes early

by R.M. Campbell

For PNB's "Nutcracker," which opens tomorrow night at the Paramount Theatre, children take over the life of Otto Neubert, the company's ballet master. He devotes all of his fall to them, starting with auditions in September and extending through the end of the year.
more

Post subject: Re: Pacific Northwest Ballet Nutcracker, 2002
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:49 pm 

Andre..thankyou for posting the article on Otto Neubert. The company is fortunate to have Mr. Neubert. I am going out to Seattle to see the Nutcracker.I have enjoyed this company's version and feel priveleged to experience this beautiful production again!! I'll give you my critique when I return! :eek:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:01 pm 

momofPNBdancer,

You're welcome! What little I've seen of PNB (Midsummer Night's Dream live and on DVD) makes me want to see them again soon. Of the PNB dancers I've seen dance, I'm quite smitten by Patricia Barker and Olivier Weavers.

--Andre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:16 pm 

One more preview, by Young Chang in the Seattle Times:

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=nutcracker28&date=20021128

Reviews of Saturday, November 30 performances:

R. M. Campbell in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/classical/97989_nut02q.shtml

Mary Murfin Bayley in the Seattle Times:

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=nutcracker02&date=20021202

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:53 pm 

Casting is now available at:

http://www.pnb.org/season/nutcracker/nutcasting.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:43 pm 

Another review from Carole Beers in the Eastside Journal:

http://www.eastsidejournal.com/sited/story/html/113945

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:31 pm 

I attended the Saturday evening performance on December 7 and am pleased to report that the transfer from the Opera House to the Paramount stage works very well from the audience perspective. The ambience of the theatre and its location in the midst of the downtown holiday hubbub adds excitement to the experience overall.

The performance on Saturday evening was on a consistently high level. Flemming Halby's Drosselmeyer is always admirable for the amount and depth of subtle detail in his characterization. Kylee Kitchens and Stanko Milov were an impressive host and hostess in the party scene; Maria Chapman and Jordan Pacitti were fine as the Ballerina Doll and Sword Doll; and Rebecca Johnston continually caught my notice, first in the Mozart Masque, and later in Snow. Jonathan Poretta was impressive as the Warrior Mouse, but most especially in the second act Commedia (aka: Mirlitons).

As the adult Clara and Nutcracker Prince, Carrie Imler and Batkhurel Bold are still working on their partnership. Both are outstanding as individuals and are well matched in skill and ability. This performance appears to have been their third together -- things should get stronger and more assured as the month progresses.

Ariana Lallone was radiant as Flora in Waltz of the Flowers. The children's roles were done to perfection and the orchestra played well for Alan Dameron.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:47 pm 

A review from the Everett Herald:

http://www.heraldnet.com/ae/story.cfm?sectionname=THEATER&file=02120616185627.cfm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:22 am 

'Nutcracker' dazzles kids
By Paula Horton - Daily World Writer

Visions of the Space Needle, the Monorail and the Mouse King in the "Nutcracker" ballet danced in the heads of Elma fifth - graders as they set out for a holiday to remember in Seattle.

"The kids are so excited," teacher Carol Boyer said as everyone gathered in the classroom for last - minute instructions Dec. 5. "I'm excited. I haven't been (to the ballet) in 10 years."

Though many students were looking forward to zooming above Seattle's busy streets on the Monorail and seeing "Sue" the largest, most complete T - Rex fossil in existence, at the Pacific Science Center, the day's main attraction was attending the Pacific Northwest Ballet's "Nutcracker" at the Paramount Theatre. The award - winning production features costumes and sets designed by Maurice Sendak.

click for more

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:13 pm 

PNBs Nutcracker last night ( 12/12 ) was very well done. I was particularily impressed with the Corps, and Noelani Pantastico, one of our soloists really shined as Clara. You could sense how much she loves dancing! The Paramount's stage wasa perhaps a little small, but that will be rectified by next year. Great job, PNB!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:14 pm 

So you got Noelani and Jeff Stanton on 12/12 (instead of Patricia Barker and Stanko Milov)? Noelani is a most effervescent and exuberant performer who, I am sure, is charming in this role. Jeff's partnering skills are very much in demand. I believe the performance dimensions of the Paramount stage are very nearly the same as the Opera House stage. What is different is the lack of wing space (and dressing room space).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]