public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Clara vs. Marie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:41 pm 

I've noticed that some Nutcracker stories/dioramas/ballets/etc use the name Clara, and some use Marie. What's going on here?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Clara vs. Marie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:53 pm 

I believe Marie is the name used in the original story version by E.T.A. Hoffman titled "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King". <P>"When Marius Petipa had the idea to choreograph the story into a play, it was actually based on the book that had been revised by Alexander Dumas. His version reflects more of what we have come to love as the Nutcracker Ballet". From the<A HREF="http://www.nutcrackerballet.net/html/nutcracker_story.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Nutcracker Ballet Website</B></A>.<P>I believe Dumas is the one who changed the name to Clara..but I have yet to verify that for sure..it seems most likely though.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:38 pm 

Here is the previous thread we had on this that deals a bit with Nutcracker history - it was in the Holiday Performance Forum - you might be interested in reading it:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum20/HTML/000019.html><B>From Casse Noisette to Nutcracker</B></A><P>The Russians sometimes use the name "Masha" too, but I believe that is their diminutive for "Marie."<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:56 am 

Clara is the name of the doll in Hoffmann's story. It's actually an easy read, and good short story...check it out!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]