public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ballet San Jose's 'Nutcracker' 2001
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 4:37 pm 

Not too soon to plan for the Nutcracker:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>`Nutcracker' heads for Flint Center<P>ANITA AMIRREZVANI, San Jose Mercury News<P>Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley has announced that it is changing the location for its popular production of ``The Nutcracker.'' This year, it will be performed Dec. 7-23 at the Flint Center in Cupertino.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/ballet2.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ballet San Jose's 'Nutcracker' 2001
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 4:39 pm 

Follow this link to the <a href=../../../ubb/Forum13/HTML/000295.html target=_blank>press release</a>.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 11:47 am 
Azlan who was your favorite MARIA in SJ nutcracker-Karen Gabay?Nancy Latoszewski?Grethel Domingo?-who where the better dancers in general?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 12:25 pm 

Angela, I've never seen this company's Nut... There's only so much Nut I can take, what with dancer/choreographer friends wanting me to see theirs. However, of those three dancers, based on most current form, I would have to say Grethel Domingo is my fav.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 6:49 am 
....and shes now at the Diablo Ballet. Current form meaning Balanchince???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:49 am 

I meant in all works. Solid performance in both classical and contemporary, from start to finish, from head to toe. The only thing is Domingo is definitely on the tiny side of the scale...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 12:18 pm 
She is-but I'd LOOOVVE to see her dance!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:01 pm 

A couple of pictures to whet your appetite for the Nutcracker... Image and:<BR> Image <p>[This message has been edited by mehunt (edited November 13, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2001 11:37 pm 

I believe the Maria pictured is Dalia Rawson and she was the best Maria of all. Nancy Latoszewski remained in Cleveland and is now teaching dance. We in Cleveland miss this company a great deal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:59 am 

A view from the company's former home base:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Nutcracker' isn't the same as company fills new shoes in San Jose<P>Wilma Salisbury, Cleveland Plain Dealer<P>The production is the spectacular version choreographed for Cleveland Ballet by artistic director Dennis Nahat with sets and costumes by resident designer David Guthrie. The San Jose casts, however, look dramatically different from those in Cleveland.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/entertainment/10078074271519170.xml target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:01 am 

A pair of reviews:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Dancing brings 'Nutcracker' to life <BR>San Jose company shows skill, verve<P>Allan Ulrich, SF Chronicle Dance<P>Ballet San Jose of Silicon Valley brought its savory seasonal treat, Dennis Nahat's "Nutcracker," to a new venue, Cupertino's Flint Center, on Friday evening, and for all the fuss, the production, now settled into a 17- day run in these unfamiliar surroundings, looked spry and emotionally generous.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/10/DD225403.DTL target=_blank>More</a><P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>S.J. troupe serves treat<BR>BALLET'S CONFECTION IS EVEN SWEETER IN NEW VENUE<P>LESLEY VALDES, SJ Mercury News <P>Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley has dressed the Flint Center interior like a Christmas package and the festive scarlet decor and lobby boutiques add entertainment value to the company's ``Nutcracker,'' which is a gift on its own.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/nutcracker10.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:15 am 
Its funny that Todd Fox feels the new co. has lost its high quality,while the reviews here feel its the best dancing they've seen in a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:41 pm 

Hmm, maybe I should have gone... but on the other hand, a local critic said to me that one wouldn't want to wish me on Ballet San Jose...<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited December 11, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:14 pm 
Maybe you should anyway Azlan,and compare...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 10:41 am 
METROACTIVE also gave the dancing good/better reviews.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next