CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: NYCB Nutcracker
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:03 pm 

Brief notes and observations from the 12/15 evening performance... I had a fourth ring seat, but forgot my binoculars, so these observations are truely from a distance!

Adam Hendrickson appears to be a wonderful Drosselmeier. I think it's unusual for a dancer so young (22 or 23??) and still in the corps to be cast in this role-and it must be an honor. Then again, he's also the only corps dancer in recent years to dance the role of Puck in Midsummer's Night Dream.
Hendrickson's on the short side, but his Drosselmeier stood out for his characterization. Hendrickson's mime has an honest sense and smooth flow. Kudos to him, and I hope this bodes well for his career.

Antonio Carmena was an excellent in Tea-his consecutive split jumps are unforced, high and easily up to 180 each time. I hope to see him get quality roles during the rest of the season.

As usual Dan Ulbricht literally flew-this time as the lead Candycane. Not only, however, do his jumps have great amplitude, but his dancing is so precise and crisp-no blurring the steps. Aside from the SugerPlum & her Cavalier, lead candycane must be the most varied cast of any role with a principal, Ben Millipied, three soloists, Jared Angle, Kip Houston and Tom Gold, and a handful of corps members, Dan Ulbricht, Adam Hendrickson and Sean Suozzi, performing the role.
As an aside, I often wonder why Millipied has not been cast as the Cavalier (not sure if he has danced the role in the past). Injury? Too short? Not an experienced enough partner?

Kudos also the dancers in Hot Chocolate-seven of the eight "corps" dancers were apprentices (it appears that the following are apprentices, based on the fact that they are dancing in the Nutcracker: Sterling Hyltin, Stephanie Zungre, Georgina Pazcoguin, Ashley Laracey, Jessica Flynn, Adrain Danchig-Waring, Allen Pfeiffer and Austin Laurent. Christian Tworzyanski is still an apprentice.

Maria Kowrowski and Philip Neal were excellent together in the grand pas de deux. Not a sign of hesitation in the leap to shoulder lifts, and nary a wobble in the "dragged" arabasque. However, as solid and supportive a partner as he is, Neal is not a natural turner. His turns a la seconde looked labored and the final turns in attitude ended off balance. It's probably in part due to his proportions-when you're well over 6ft, it;s got be hard to get that long leg up and stay balanced. But, it's the partnering that makes the pas de deux, and it was wonderful.

The kids, as usual, were wonderful and well rehearsed. Tyler Gurfein, as someone else desribed him, is reminiscent of young Peter Boal.
Flora Wildes (Marie) has excellent aim-she's the only Marie I've seen who's actually hit the Mouse King (right on his furry rear end) with her slipper.
Kate

Post subject: Re: NYCB Nutcracker
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:47 am 

Did anyone else catch the story about NYCB's Nutcracker on 20/20 last night? It mostly followed the audition process for the children; first the fall audition to get into SAB, and then the audition for Nut itself. There were some really charming interviews with three or four children, as well as some excellent footage.

Post subject: Re: NYCB Nutcracker
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:10 pm 

Hi, I'm combining this thread with the other:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000113 target=_blank>New York City Ballet – Nutcracker 2002</a>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]