CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Macauly Culkin in Nutcracker!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:41 am 

Did any one else watch Macauly Culkin (sp?)as the prince in Balanchines Nutcracker shown on BBC2 on Sunday 22nd December?? It wasn't bad , but for someone who doesn't do ballet you could understand him when he tells the sugar plum fairy what happened with the mice etc, etc.
I still prefer the Royal Ballet Nutcracker , but that performance on sunday wasn't bad. The sugar plum fairy was a bit heavy dancing wise , not sure about some of the other dancers either some of the names were changed.All in all i would watch it again!

Post subject: Re: Macauly Culkin in Nutcracker!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:25 am 

I've seen the Balanchine film lots of times. Overall, it's my favorite Nutcracker on video. Something I noticed, comparing Macauley Culkin to the other kids, is that even young ballet students have the ability to hold their bodies very still when they are supposed to, whereas Culkin always looked slightly twitchy.

I'm not sure what you meant by the Sugar Plum Fairy being a bit heavy dancing wise.

Post subject: Re: Macauly Culkin in Nutcracker!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:22 am 

Well i have only ever seen the Royal Ballets Nutcracker and the sugar plum fairy in that is so light on her feet and takes tiny , tiny steps.The sugar plum fairy in the Balanchine performance seems to take giant steps that seem hurried , not dainty..
But saying all that i liked the ballet and would watch it again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]