public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Smuin Ballet :The Christmas Ballet 2003
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:06 pm 

From the Contra Costa Times.

Quote:
Smuin's seasonal show has shaky start
By Mary Ellen Hunt
TIMES CORRESPONDENT

Smuin Ballet kicked off the chilly holiday season with a post-Thanksgiving run of "The Christmas Ballet" Friday night at the Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts in Walnut Creek.

The hard-working and ubiquitous troupe returned this season sporting a number of new faces, many of them familiar to East Bay dance-goers. For newcomers to Smuin Ballet, the company's annual "Christmas Ballet" made for some pleasantly diverting entertainment mixed in with the excitement of Michael Smuin's flamboyant championship ballroom dancing moves. However, if you were a fan of the company you might have thrown your program insert into the aisle in despair, since it was chock full of errors, generally listing the wrong performers and putting the pieces in the wrong order -- even leaving out some dancers and at least one of the numbers. This reviewer spent half the evening trying to unravel the casting and program changes, which were not announced prior to the show.
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Smuin Ballet :The Christmas Ballet 2003
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:13 pm 

I too hate it when the program notes are in disarray. Could it be that the company is taking SF East Bay fans for granted? How else would you explain it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:33 pm 

Or is it just that they themselves are so disorganized that they can't get their program notes in order. When I saw the Xmas ballet two years ago it was the same thing. I had trouble following the program.

Did they have that cheesy piano player this year after intermission? He was talented, but sooooo "show-biz" .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:58 pm 

Oh, yes. I do recall now that there were some juggling around of vignettes a few years back as well...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:37 pm 

They're in Mountain View this week. From the SF Chronicle.

Quote:
Smuin's sweet, saucy 'Christmas' treat Dancers turn up heat with cool yule

Janice Berman, Special to The Chronicle

"I don't want Mountain View to feel like we're giving them a second- class show," Michael Smuin said Wednesday night in the Mountain View Center for the Performing Arts' lobby. Though Smuin Ballet has been dancing in Silicon Valley almost since its inception nine years ago, Smuin's "The Christmas Ballet" tends to remain under the radar until its opening in San Francisco, where it will run from Wednesday through Dec. 28 at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater.

Now, a few minutes before show time, Smuin fretted about what the Mountain View audience wouldn't see because of the intimate-scale theater's technical limitations: "You can't fly anything in. You can't use projections. There's no front scrim. But I get mail every year: 'Please keep coming to Mountain View.' "
more...

<small>[ 05 December 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: LMCtech ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]