public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rockettes 2004
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:18 am 

From Iris Fanger in the Boston Phoenix: Getting our kicks - The Rockettes’ Christmas Spectacular comes to Boston
Quote:
Those of you still smarting from the displacement of Boston Ballet’s Nutcracker in favor of the buckets of money the Wang Center expects to make from the Rockettes can walk yourselves over to the Colonial Theatre. Otherwise, you can watch one of the most beloved of show-biz legends. The Rockettes kicked their way into Radio City Music Hall at its opening-night program, December 27, 1932, along with vaudeville stars, an opera diva, a ballet troupe, the Flying Wallendas, and the Martha Graham Dance Company.

Post subject: Re: Rockettes 2004
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:28 am 

Cross-posted from the Boston Globe: Toe-to-toe: Rockettes vs. ‘Nutcracker’: Let the dancing begin
Quote:
Forget the Red Sox and the Yankees - there’s a new Boston-New York rivalry in town. .... Like their hometowns, “The Nutcracker” and the “Christmas Spectacular” are as different as clam chowder and cheesecake, the Hancock Tower and the Empire State Building. Call it a holiday dance-off between high art and high kicks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:49 am 

From Lauren Beckham Falcone in the Boston Herald: Leggy luminaries of Radio City kick up a storm at Hub debut
Quote:
“The Radio City Christmas Spectacular Starring the Rockettes” is finally in Boston, and while the show isn’t as big as Manhattan’s, it’s a spectacle, to be sure, a visual fruitcake of color and song that will hype audiences for Christmas faster than a candy cane drip.
From Ed Siegel, in the Boston Globe: There’s no spirit in this ‘Spectacular’
Quote:
This is a show that’s all about merchandising and commodification. It’s a two-hour ode to shopping with canned music, enhanced singing, and simulated joy. Even the girl who’s brought onstage from the audience is a plant. The only genuine emotion onstage comes from the camels and sheep at the end of the show.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:48 am 

In the Boston Herald Tenley Woodman reports on shadowing the Rockettes for a day: Just for kicks: Rockette-for-a-day steps out with the Radio City Music Hall pros

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:07 am 

The first part of this Boston Phoenix article by Jeffrey Gantz is about the Rockettes in Boston: Snow job; growing pains - The Rockettes at the Wang, The Nutcracker at the Colonial
Quote:
.... Now a touring version of the Christmas Spectacular has come to Boston, replacing Boston Ballet’s Nutcracker at the Wang Theatre, and the good news is that these touring "Rockettes" hold up their end. .... The bad news is that the rest of the show is dominated by a "hip" St. Nick who after his DOA "Santa’s Gonna Rock and Roll" assures us, "I love Boston. The Freedom Trail. The lights on Newbury Street. And how about that early Christmas present, a world championship from the Red Sox!"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:31 am 

Quote:
Jump, Kick, Ball, Change, Bevel, Bevel, Oo, Oh, Ow . . .

By GIA KOURLAS
the New York Times

Q. How would you rate the workout aspect of the "Christmas Spectacular"?

A. My dad is a former college basketball coach, so when I found out that I got the Rockettes job, the first thing he said was, "You need endurance training." I was running on the treadmill five or six miles a day and lifting five-pound weights. ... It requires a completely different kind of agility. I'm a gym rat, but I was too tired to go. It got me. It really did.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:36 am 

Quote:
The road to Rockette

by ELANA ASHANTI JEFFERSON
the Denver Post

"We all feel like we've arrived, but we still have to find work throughout the year," Griffith said.
Advertisement

Her gigs before becoming a Rockette two years ago included a stint in the touring cast of "Contact," the Tony-winning Broadway musical, and assisting David Copperfield with his magic show.
more

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]