CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bolshoi Nutcracker
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:56 pm 

The Bolshoi tour finished in Minneapolis with Nutcracker and continues with Nutcracker at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. from December 11-15. A review of the Minneapolis performance:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/389/3482485.html

Post subject: Re: Bolshoi Nutcracker
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:46 pm 

A review from the Bolshoi's Nutcracker performance in Washington, DC by Sarah Kaufman in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48215-2002Dec12.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:51 pm 

Hmmm, sounds like they didn't like it much. I wonder if this in one of those cultural difference things, when something that flies in one country crashes in another.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:51 am 

'Nutcracker' without sugar
By Jean Battey Lewis for The Washington Times

The Bolshoi Ballet of Moscow is back in Washington for the second time this year. Again it has brought a revision of a 19th-century classic, and this time it is — what else? — "The Nutcracker."

All three full-length ballets the company has danced here this year have been staged by the same choreographer, Yuri Grigorovich. His "Swan Lake" and "La Bayadere" share with his idiosyncratic "Nutcracker" an emphasis on spectacular heavy scenery, an absence of mime, and choreography that is full of standard steps and heavy on repeated movement motifs.

Mr. Grigorovich has a concept of "Nutcracker" that is at odds with most interpretations. As the program notes point out, "There is nothing touching or sweet about his 'Nutcracker.'"

click for more

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:30 am 

Hello, we're moving all the Nutcracker posts from the Bolshoi in US thread to here (thanks especially to Arina and zabela for their posts):

&nbsp
Arina:
Quote:
I’ve heard all The Nutcrackers in the Kennedy Center were sold out. And I envy those who will see these performances, because it’s one of my most favorite ballets. I suppose to those who have seen The Nutcracker of Kirov Ballet set and costumes of the Bolshoi’s Nutcracker may seem dull. But I adore the Waltz of flowers, which in the Grigorovich version become Blue – dancers wear light-blue costumes and dance with the candelabrums with long handles. They form up with these candelabrums the altar of the temple for the wedding ceremony of Prince and Masha (the name of Clara in Russian ballet). And Prince-Nutcracker in the scarlet costume is the main hero of this performance.
By the way Nikolai Tsiskaridze who dance Prince in the first cast in Washington told an interesting thing about this role in one TV program: the complication of this role is in that fact that Prince isn’t a real man, he is a dream of Masha, her imagination. When Tsiskaridze danced this role first time Grigorovich said him: “You have to remember it and you can’t make any jerky movement, everything should be very easy, fluent and logical. Only one thing may remind about your puppet past is your variation, when you have to make pirouettes very neatly as you crack the nuts”. I think it is a clue to understand this role and this performance. Tsiskaridze is such Prince – handsome, elegant, with unbelievable soft, gentle plasticity, with weightless jumps and light landings, with fast and exact tours and pirouettes – prince who’s name is Dream, dressed in red unwinding cloak, flying in grand jete to the front row. Adagio of the 2-nd act is a culmination of Grigorovich’s choreography for this ballet and the prayer of the hands lifted up is an apotheosis of the Masha’s dreaming. How it must be bitterly to lose such dream!
This ballet is a symbol, a fairy tale and one needs to have faith in it.
&nbsp
djb:
Quote:
Arina, I saw the Grigorovich Nutcracker in San Francisco many years ago, with Maximova and Vasiliev in the leading roles. I did like the concept of the grand pas de deux as Masha's fantasy wedding. The music for the adagio is so grand, that it fits the strong emotions two people would feel when getting married. And I think you are right about the ending of the ballet. I remember very clearly how Maximova looked so lost and confused when her dream was suddenly ended, and how happy she was when she found her toy nutcracker again. It actually brought tears to my eyes!
&nbsp
Arina:
Quote:
From Bolshoi 'Nutcracker' a swimming marriage of movement, music by Rohan Preston, The Star Tribune:

"Russia's eminent Bolshoi Ballet, which earlier bowled over Twin Cities arts lovers with its rich, resplendent rendition of "Swan Lake," has turned "The Nutcracker" into an extended joy.
Onstage at the University of Minnesota's Northrop Auditorium, the Bolshoi dancers seem to swim and flutter in Tchaikovsky's music, letting it ripple crisply from their skittering toes into their languid or rigid arms and, finally off their expressive faces.
It's all a long, stylized kiss."

MORE...
&nbsp
zabela:
Quote:
By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 13, 2002:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48215-2002Dec12.html
&nbsp
Arina:
Quote:
From 'Nutcracker' without sugar by Jean Battey Lewis, The Washington Times:
Quote:
To emphasize that this is not a "Nutcracker" aimed at children, Mr. Grigorovich has a witch and a devil as part of the first act entertainment who would be at home in Las Vegas.
The Bolshoi's version is long on dancing — yards and yards of it, for the most part a stringing out of basic, spectacular steps performed, as always by this company, spectacularly. The dancers take to the air in soaring split leaps and barrel turns and fill the stage with grand gestures.
MORE

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]