public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Dance machines ,What on earth!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:30 am 

hi, im new to this forum (and dance in general) but i felt i had to comment on the Dance Dance Revolution machines as i have done an essay on them for my dance course

i found that they are a perfect way for peope who wouldnt normally dance to build confidence in themselves and their body (which is always a good thing) there are even little groups scattered all around the world (mainly in japan though) that compete in competitions and they have even built up their own dance vocabulary

also as a test i brought in a portale machine into college and tried it out on all of the 'trained dancers' and they all got worse scores than the people who were new to dance, mainly because they were too focused on shape and form etc. than having fun

anyway i think they are great!!!!! and there should be one in every arcade across the universe
(at least it gets geeks like me up and moving :o ))

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:33 pm 

Very good point, friedgold, and welcome! I have yet to see a machine myself. I guess I don't frequent arcades much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:03 pm 

They have one in the lobby of our local movie theater. I watched as a pre-teen boy try to master it. I was so happy that he was doing this rather than the violent video games just around the corner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:07 pm 

Perhaps this is revealing too much, but DDR is pretty popular as a party game amongst my friends. They play it on a Sony Playstation One, and own multiple dance mats --- one of them bought a PS1 just to play DDR, and I don't think she has any other PS1 games. There's someone (a guy) who is particularly good at it, usually playing at the highest speeds and complexity (using multiple mats sometimes), and it's entertaining to just watch him go at it.

Playing the game itself, there's really no form or lines above the waist --- you intensely stare at the screen while moving your feet about. But apparently, there are DDR competitions where style and ornamentation counts --- instead of just stamping around, there are spins, jumps, and other tricks done between steps. The machine only records where and when you stepped, so it doesn't care what you do in between, but human judges rate your overall dancing.

Like normal dancing, some people need to be coaxed onto the mat, but it doesn't seem to be split in any meaningful way between men and women.

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:22 am 

It's getting serious!

Along the boardwalk, a teen dance revolution
By Amy S. Rosenberg
Inquirer Staff Writer

One in an occasional summer series.

OCEAN CITY, N.J. - The local kids await the return of Rob Holt. He is the best in their midst, and their crowd - call them goth, punks, freaks, whatever, they don't really care - tends to outclass the summer people.

When he shows up on the boardwalk at 7:25 p.m. - dressed all in black, boots laced up to his knees under heavy pants, hair dyed black but eyes still baby blue - the wispy Holt, 17, generates an immediate buzz.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:22 pm 

It's taking over!

Dance game is one wild music-blaring, heart-pounding, foot-stomping video trip
By Jessica Belasco for The San Antonio Express-News

It's 4 p.m. on a Thursday and the place is hopping. People are dancing and a dozen more are crowded around to watch, the flashing lights illuminating their intent faces. The music is throbbing and the dancers are panting.

The Dance Dance Revolution video game is wildly, wildly popular and is fast achieving cult status. David Hunter, 21 (left, top photo), and Dallas Cobb, 23, play the game at Cyberzone Arcade in Ingram Park Mall.
Nicole Frugeé/Express-News

But it's not a club. It's a video game. It's Dance Dance Revolution.

click for more

<small>[ 14 July 2003, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:57 am 

These dance mats are great fun. I have had many professional dancers on it and they dont do any better than non trained dancers. I think its a skill that has to be learnt in itself and hey why not consider it a new kind of dance? Well maybe not, it is a good party toy though.
Word of warning: the canvas mats you buy in the shops tend to fold up underneath you so you may think you are stepping on the right arrow but chances are you're not. I just splashed out £100 to get Logic 3 mat from the HMV, its just like the ones from the arcade and so you can find out how good you really are without the mat moving around as you dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:37 am 

Welcome to CriticalDance phil and many thanks for an insider's view on Arcade Dance machines.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2