public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Red Face
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 4:27 am 

How?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:21 am 

HMMMMM - let's see if I can explain this. I was walking from ballet class to get some lunch across a street in downtown San Diego. On this street only trolleys travel - no cars. There are two tracks and the trolley's are fairly silent. <P>One trolley was stopped picking up passengers and I was walking across in front of it....when suddenly on the second track, behind it, came another trolley. It was silent and I couldn't see it until I was just about on the track.<P>There was no way the trolley could have stopped, and I had a choice to leap backwards or forwards. In a flash my mind decided that I could leap faster and farther if I went forwards. So that's what I did - a grand jeté across that second track.<P>In the middle of my leap I saw the face of the driver above me over my shoulder and I could see the look of utter surprise on his face. It all happened so fast, but when it was over, I was really shaking.<P>Good thing I didn't have my ballet bag with me at the time ....it was back in the studio. <P>There was a second time, too. Also downtown going to ballet class, a car ran a redlight and hit me - I was walking with a bunch of people across the street. But there was no grand jeté involved.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 06, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:29 pm 

Wow! Ballet sure is helpful in more than the obvious ways! Once I was in a restaurant and realized how grateful I was for my flexibility..I got up from the table to leave and there was quite a large spill on the floor but is was clear liquid on tile floor (a deadly combination) so I didn't see it. However, Somehow, lucky for me I gracefully slid right into a split over the top of the spill...Honestly it was not planned, it just happened but thank goodness that I'm a dancer, that could have really hurt somone else! Image Everyone laughed because it looked so pre-planned! So listen up, anyone that doesn't take ballet! It might just save your life one of these days! hee hee!<P>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Misa_danseuse (edited June 06, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:38 pm 

Is that why I keep running into things...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:54 am 

To answer your question, Azlan...No.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:24 pm 

When I've been to the grocery store and have loaded the bags into my arms, it is hard for me to close the trunk door. So I just developpe my leg up there and use my foot to push it down.<P>I also practice releves and balancing in church. I try to go up and down slowly so no one notices. Or just stay up for as long as I can, hoping the people behind me think I'm just really tall. <P>Let's not even talk about how many places I break out dancing... but if you really want to know, ask my sister: she keeps tabs on all the zillion times I've embarassed her in public!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:06 am 

LOL Katheryn- does your sister also dance?<P>------------------<BR>The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything...<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 5:50 am 

Being able to stand on tiptoe is very handy for watching parades and things.<P>If I have the right pair of sneakers on (no, I don't recommend this LOL), and I need to see over someone else's head, I can stand on my tiptoes. It does help if my husband is standing next to me and I can use him as a barre.<P>That's what a good husband is for, anyhow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 8:18 am 

I remember one day at a rehearsal waiting for my director to come back...a friendly stagehand had gone with her to pick up a few things at the grocery store. When they returned the stagehand ran over to me looking for sympathy <P>"OH Marisa, IT was sooo embarassing! She was rehearsing/going over steps in the aisles! " <P>lol..we are such a special breed of people..dancers that is Image<P>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:30 am 

Anastasia, No my sister does not dance. That is the problem!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:50 am 

Ok, you have to find a strategy... And get her into ballet class... and then you guys can embarrase eachother!!! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 9:15 am 

Anastasia,<P>My sister is here visiting me and reading this, and she says she has, and I quote, "no rhythm." (We are both here eating sugar cookies for breakfast!)<P>But the reason I showed her this thread was because she said to me, "so I'm not too old to start dancing?" and I saw an opportunity, a moment of weakness... I'll get her to ballet class yet! <P>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 8:30 am 

Within the past couple of years I've spent a good deal of time consulting chiropractors and physical therapists for some back problems. I love the initial evaluation, when they ask you to bend forward, as if you were trying to touch your toes. Well...I told you I'm a dancer! I've had three of them actually laugh at me as I've folded in half. Glad to be so entertaining...<P>I used to choreograph on the subways of New York. Just sitting there, minding my own business, hands marking out steps a mile a minute. I think people just assumed I was a New York "crazy person" and they kept their distance. So it ended up being protective in a way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 8:46 am 

Sometimes at the library when several of us go over to a certain section of books to inspect them - for the possibility of seeing which to withdraw, or what condition that section is in, etc., some of the books are on the bottom two shelves.<P>So there we are mostly women around my age or younger, and I just naturaly without thinking about it flop down on the floor, sit cross legged, and begin to pull out books. It never occurred to me that ladies my age, don't do that...generally speaking. <P>And, when riding my bike around the lake - it is not unusual for me to suddenly stop, get off the bike and work out a turn combination....you mean everyone doesn't do these things?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 11:54 am 

When I'm visiting my parents, I'll go around the corner to a deserted gravel road with a great view of the sky to work out combinations. Of course it seems a little strange when people come by occasionally. Once my dad went jogging and turned round that corner. He was very suprised to see me and gave me some funny looks as he went by, along the lines of "what are you doing here standing in the middle of a deserted road?" I don't know if it helped any when I explained that I was choreographing. I think he still thinks me crazy. Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next