public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Red Face
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 6:45 am 

Today I was caught marking steps while at the copy machine. How many of you other "reasonable adults" liven up your workday by doing releves in the lunchroom, plies in the bathroom, leg swings in your office? Sometimes I just have to MOVE! At least so far I have not been caught doing grand jetes (but that long hall is SO tempting) :-)<BR>

Post subject: Re: Red Face
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 7:47 am 

Well, Sissonne - I have done pas de bourée down the hall of a medical office building where I was the administrative assistant. Yes, in high heels and tight skirt.<P>I have done a penché at the mailbox to get the mail, didn't notice the postman was still there....he was rather surprised.<P>As a passenger in a car, I have stuck my feet out the window on a very long drive so I could stretch, point and flex my feet.<P>I do relevés in the line at the grocery store. My hand gestures while speaking look more like port de bras......and woe betide any crockery that happens to be anywhere near.<P>But, I do have some talents too.....I am great at those campfire games...like the one hand circling the stomach while the other pats the head. I can even reverse that...to the wonderment of the entire campfire crowd. Just don't ask me to sing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:04 am 

Hey! I can do that too!<P>How about the one where you point your index fingers towards each other in front of your chest, then rotate one clockwise and the other anti-clockwise? Dead easy, but my husband can't do it!<P>For the record, I wave my arms around a bit if I'm in a queue for the till. People must think I'm dippy. I alsoget the urge to singalong and dancealong to music in the supermarket. It was the Beatles today: 'Let It Be'. Who can resist singing along to that?<P>The Italians are rather less outgoing in that sense (that surprised you all didn't it? It's true! They're really straight-laced when they aren't in their own stomping grounds!), and I got a few funny looks...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 4:01 pm 

Oh I do so love ballerinas in high heels and tight skirts Basheva.<P>When I'm at work I try hard not to be conspicuous but I have a couple tricks. We have a heavy door at the entrance of the building. When I approach the door I step on my right foot and grab the handle with my right hand. Now most people here will pull open the door then rotate around onto their left foot. But this takes an extra beat because opening the door pulls you to the right and it is awkward to get your left foot around. <P>I open the door, allow the momentum take me to the right but then just do a little pas de burre (nothing fancy - just allow the left foot to step behind the right) and pull myself through. I don't have to fight the momentum of the door to rotate back around to the left. Done properly I don't even slow down going through that entrance. This move saves about half a second every time I enter the door. Most people watching will see something that looks a bit askew - but won't be able to figure out exactly what was so strange. But they know I'm odd anyway.<P><p>[This message has been edited by pan (edited June 04, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 4:11 pm 

Here's another thing I do at work. The flush handles on the mens urinals are about 4 1/2 feet high. Sometimes, instead of flushing with my hand I flush with my foot. Now I do not battlement and crash down onto the handle - that would be brutish - no - I lift the knee, developee (concentrating on the supporting leg and torso), place my foot on the 4 1/2 handle, flush, lift the foot, bring it down and walk away.<P>Every now and then (rarely) I will do that when someone else is there. One guy laughed and said it was really neat - nobody else has ever said anything. But they do give me a wide berth when I walk down the hallway.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by pan (edited June 04, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 5:49 am 

When I was studying piano, I would often put one foot up on the side of the keyboard - that piece of wood that lines the side, and that way get a stretch whilst practicing my scales. (I didn't get much beyond scales - I only studied for 8 years, but I was GREAT at scales). LOL<P>My son took ballet classes for three years from about 8 - ll yrs. old. Years later when he went into the Air Force he had a great deal of difficulty learning to march (luckily the Air Force doesn't march very much LOL). Because, in ballet class he had learned to turn on the ball of his foot, whereas in marching they need to turn on their heels. <P>And four years ago when I retired and thought I would never go to ballet class again - I thought I would be a "normal" person and set up a "normal" exercise routine. So I asked the doctor "how long does the normal person exercise every day"? He looked at me very strangely, and said "normal people don't exercise every day".<P>Sometimes dancers forget just how different we are...........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 7:30 am 

LOL, Basheva - I can just see that doctor's face! Apparently "normal" people also don't just bend from the waist to pick something up from the floor - I've gotten strange looks doing that too. And have done plenty of arabesque penches around the house myself!<BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 8:38 am 

When I drop stuff, I just bend from the waist also! For only being 5' I have fairly long legs , so wen I bend over from the waist, my little wee bumper is right out there. Idid that one time not knowing my friend Ethan was behind me. All of a sudden I heard, "Whoa! Cait get your butt out of the air!" You have to understand that Ethan is 14 (bah how I hate hormones) and turns bright red when he comes within two feet of a girl. So me being the little antagonist I am, started humming and doing a dance while still tying my shoes. just shoved me out of his way and I stood up. "Oh I'm sorry Ethan! I didn't see ya!" teehee<P>Bansheva- I've taken piano for almost eight years also, but I won't be able to quit until I've taken it for twelve (that's when I'm eighteen) and I do the same thing! Also when we change for gym I find myself doing tap on the floor in my socks. Also if I'm lying on my back and I notice my shoes untied, instead of sitting up, I bring my leg up so it's almost like I'm doing the splits on my back. This brings a lot of strange looks Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 9:47 am 

Then there was the time I went to a new doctor for an annual checkup - as part of all those questions the doctor asks the conversation went something like this:<P>Doctor: "Do you have any aches, pains and such? Does anything hurt you?"<P>Basheva: "Doctor, I am a <B><I>ballet dancer</I></B>".<P>Doctor: "Oh, I see...yes it's part of your life style".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:38 am 

All of you that stretched while at the piano are lucky!!!! I tried that and couldn't get away with it-my grandmother was the teacher, a former professional pianist, she always cuaght my trying to stretch and play..and she was always asking me during my lesson "Why can't you keep your feet still?"..it seems I was always letting my feet dance with the song hee hee since the rest of my body was stuck on the piano bench. Image<P>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:44 am 

The real problem I had with the piano - ok, ok - I had LOTS of problems with the piano - LOL - was that after practicing for an hour or more, it just didn't "feel" right.<P>I wasn't panting, I wasn't hurting, I wasn't sweaty, I wasn't tired......I would look at the clock to make sure I really, really had sat there for over an hour. I was soooooo used to being sweaty/hot/hurting/tired - that I felt guilty walking away from the piano - cool as a breeze.<P>I started piano lessons as an adult (very old adult) to enhance my teaching and dancing capabilities as a ballet dancer/teacher. But I could see that I would have loved it had I started as a child.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 2:57 pm 

I started when I was six, and I've hated it up until now. Now I'm finally getting songs that sound cool and are interesting to play. I used to feel the same way Bansheva, but I got this one song called "Soffigetto' (i know I misspelled that. Anyway, It's one long run that's three pages long and trust me, once you play it up to tempo a few times you DEFINITLY feel it Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 3:38 pm 

I hated practicing/taking piano (I started at age 5) until I got to a song when I was about 8 years old called Swans On the Lake and the picture reminded me of Swan Lake (the one big think I associated ballet with) & after that I was hooked!! Image Basheva, its funny you didn't feel you had worked enough and I felt EXHAUSTED from sitting still! Image I was the ultimate squirmer.. Image<P>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:07 am 

RE: At least so far I have not been caught doing grand jetes (but that long hall is SO tempting) Image<P>Ah! When I had performance for the class tournament at school (you know basheva the one I told you about, with the tiny stage), to jump a bit, i made hunderds of those beautiful longgggggg grand jetés trough the school hall... In my pink tutu!!! Well ok i have to admit that the whole school was staring at me like I was some kind of monster, but on the other hand that feeling of the wind trough my hair, teachers that jump away..... That's where long halls are made for!!!!!!!!! Image<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:10 am 

Well, I have to tell you a grand jeté once saved my life.......

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next