public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ballet in the Eisenbeck beer ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:29 am 

This was posted recently to the alt.arts.ballet newsgroup, and caused a lot of people to LOL

http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=14791

I'd love to know what you guys think of this. The a.a.b. thread can be found here!

Tex.

Post subject: Re: Ballet in the Eisenbeck beer ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:01 am 

Thanks for pointing this out Maria. This ad is from Argentina, which I'm told is one of the most macho societies you are likely to find these days.

Overall, I found the ad gross, which is not a word I use often. Basically, it's crude male fantasy stuff, which I didn't find funny at all.

<small>[ 14 August 2004, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:38 am 

I thought the ad was awesome! It made me laugh. I didn't think it was gross at all. Actually stuff we have joked around about in class looking back on when we started taking ballet. I bet a lot of people on this board will be offended by the ad. Its usually pretty stuffy here, makes you wonder why ballet is dying out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:55 am 

It dodn't offend me at all, but it was certainly more explicit than is seen on most US television (except for Spike TV, the 1st network for stupid men). I'll probably be using it often to dispel at least one common steretype about ballet.

Trabhtor, what about this forum do you find "stuffy"? How would you change it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:14 am 

LOL, I love my Spike TV. I guess that makes me a stupid man. For my stuffy comment, if you can't see it, there is no use explainin' it. Nothing that could be changed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:30 am 

Quote:
Originally posted by trabhtor:
For my stuffy comment, if you can't see it, there is no use explainin' it. Nothing that could be changed.
I think some of us see it. I think Salzberg sees it.

However, there are many personalities in this forum and comments from neutral members help the moderators advise each other. Your input is very important, even if it's stating the obvious, as it is a barometer of the status of the forum.

If you look at the very first posts in this forum, you will see that it is continually changing based on the membership.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:37 am 

Actually, that ad is rather funny in the context of beer commercials. Most beer commercials are, shall we say, simplistic to begin with. This one actually tries to be amusing in a less machismo way. And to be honest, being with beautiful women is one reason some straight men began ballet. Didn't Edward Villella make some comment to that effect?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:00 pm 

Quote:
Your input is very important, even if it's stating the obvious, as it is a barometer of the status of the forum.
If everyone in a forum says, for instance, "Blue," and everyone who would like to say, "Red," stays away, then by default, the forum becomes a place where people only say, "Blue."

As Jed Bartlet says, "Decisions are made by those who show up."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:11 pm 

Azlan wrote:

Quote:
...amusing in a less machismo way.
I'd say treating women as sex objects is a prime characteristic of machismo.

I see the rationale of the ad and the audience it is intended for. It has a good fit with the new generation of UK men's magazines that are achieving great success in the UK. Hope it's a passing fad.

<small>[ 14 August 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:53 pm 

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Sweeney:
I'd say treating women as sex objects is a prime characteristic of machismo.
In the US, many beer commercials of the ilk tend to be outright sexist and play directly to men's fantasies: in these commercials, women are almost nothing more than dumb bimbos. And even the smart ones are okay with their boyfriends dating their roommates.

In this Argentine commercial, the guy has to work for it by attending ballet class. It's almost romantic in that way. And what's more, his choice even inspires his friends to take up ballet at the end of the commercial.

I'm not saying it's a great ad but it does not treat women nearly as bad as many US beer commercials do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:21 pm 

I think there's a difference between recognizing ourselves as sexual beings and treating people as objects.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:37 pm 

I agree entirely Salzberg and there is no denying the physicality of dance and the eroticism of dances such as "Scheherezade" and "The Prodigal Son". Indeed, in the latter, the Siren's pirouette with one leg around the Son's waist is one of the most erotic scenes I have ever seen in the theatre.

However, for me the approach of the boy in the ad is different as he treats the girls in the ballet class as sex objects to be leered at and touches them with clear intentions that have more to do with groping rather than partnering. The male fantasy part is underlined by the fact that the girls are happy for him to do this.

I'm interested to hear how some of our female readers view the ad.

I also wonder whether this topic would be better placed in "Issues".

<small>[ 14 August 2004, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:03 am 

I have to say, I thought the ad was pretty funny. Okay, the upside split part was a little bit much, but like some of the other posters, I have often thought straight guys would flock to ballet class if they ever figured out what partnering involved.

And I think most dancers have had at least one moment where they've found themselves in a rehearsal in some bizarre partnering position and suddenly cracked up at how indecent it would look to the outside eye.

Oh and I gotta say, he's tall and not partnering badly at all for a novice. Some company will probably offer him a contract.

<small>[ 15 August 2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: mehunt ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:41 am 

Given that it's unlikely that the commercial will cause young, beer-drinking straight men to objectify women more than we...er...they already do, the odds are high that its only effect (other than selling more beer) will be positive -- that some people will learn a new respect for ballet in general and male dancers specifically.

<small>[ 15 August 2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:56 am 

I thought this commercial was really funny. Now I'm going to report myself to the political correctness police!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next