public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dancing Lights.......
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 6:39 am 

Though I have never been to Fairbanks, I have been to Alaska twice and I did see this magnificant wonder. I know it is not directly dancing, but I couldn't resist putting this in. Forgive me.....<P><BR>From the Los Angeles Times:<P><B>In Fairbanks, the Light Fantastic <BR> Bearing the discomforts of the Arctic North for a ringside seat at the electrifying aurora borealis springtime show.</B> <P><BR>By JOAN SPRINGHETTI<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>FAIRBANKS, Alaska--Just south of the Arctic Circle, as spring arrives, the forecast on the front page of the newspaper is cheery: "Another sunny, chilly day." That means we're looking for a high of 12 and a low of -20. <BR> The low end of that forecast means something to me and my fellow travelers: We will spend the midnight hours and beyond outside, in the wind, on a mountaintop 20 miles north of town. It also matters that the skies will be clear. We are here to see the Northern Lights, the aurora borealis, the greatest light show on Earth. (Actually, it is one of two such shows. Its mirror version, aurora australis, goes on at the South Pole, where, it should be noted, -20 would be warm.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.latimes.com/travel/otherdest/stories/20010415/t000031953.html" TARGET=_blank><B>MUCH MORE...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dancing Lights.......
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:42 pm 

Dear Basheva, <P>I'm very happy you put this thread in. Lately, I've been spending lots of time learning about the aurora -- so much information on the internet! And I've been lucky enough to see them three times in the past month after never having seen them ever. I looked all winter, and then suddenly lots of luck! ah, happy katie! I get all tingly every time I see them. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 10:03 am 

Last night there was a geomagnetic storm, and I stayed up all night watching aurora. It grew to be the best I'd ever seen, with bright light over the entire northern half of the sky with green at the bottom moving to a purply red higher in the sky. I've never seen so much color before, and it was hard to take it all in. And then I drove home as the dawn was brightening, the crescent moon rising, the stars fading, and the lakes reflecting the pink tinges of the sky. Happy day. Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:34 am 

I was once on a flight from the states to Europe. We took the polar route at night. We had an amazing view out of the plane windows. Fantastic!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 12:01 pm 

I would love to see the aurora from an airplane. Makes me want to have an airplane of my own so I could go out whenever I wanted. Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 12:53 pm 

The first time I saw the northern lights was just outside of New York City.<P>But the time I really remember it was on a cruise up the inside passage in Alaska. We were on a smaller cruise ship so we could take the Wrangell Narrows, which weaves in and out of islands. <P> The shore line is very close to the ship and as we stood on the darkened deck we could see the miles and miles of forest - masses of black trees outlined against the night sky. In the water were orcas playing, diving and throwing themselves skyward. Dancing? Such a stunningly beautiful creature - except if one is a seal.<P>We could hear wolves howling on the shore and there up above were the dancing lights. It was one of those truly transcendental moments that one never forgets.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]