CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Former ballet dancer in NBA draft?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:59 am 

Just wanted to alert my fellow basketball-loving Critical Dancers (are any of you out there?) that many sportswriters are predicting that 19-year-old Nickoloz Tskitishvili of Georgia (the European Georgia, not the U.S. Georgia) is likely to be a top-15 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.<P>Nickoloz, who is 19 years old and 7' tall, currently plays for a team in Italy. What makes his story especially remarkable is that he has only played competitive basketball for four years. Up until age 15, he trained as a ballet dancer in Georgia, but when he grew too tall for partnering, he switched to basketball.<P>I'm guessing there will be more features on his dancing past in the press in the near future, especially as so many in the sports world mistakenly see ballet as the antithesis of athleticism.<P>Anyway, I know I'll be rooting for him. Unless he gets drafted by the Lakers. Image

Post subject: Re: Former ballet dancer in NBA draft?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:47 am 

One sportswriter commented that most basketball players want to "be like Mike". He wanted to be like Mikhail.<BR>Agree with you on the Lakers:-( But that's OT.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:36 am 

A guy too tall for partnering; now there's a switch. <Snort!>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:26 pm 

Well, Nikoloz was the number five draft pick for the Denver Nuggets (maybe he'll do promo appearances with Colorado Ballet?).<P>He appeared to diss ballet in his short interview, saying "ballet is for women." He then explained that while growing up, he trained in what he described as Georgian National Dancing, in which he danced holding a big spear. He also said that he thought his background in dance has helped him with his footwork and his elasticity.<P>I'm curious to see which is correct-- was he covering up the fact that he is a former ballet dancer? It wouldn't surprise me, what with the announcers condescendingly chuckling at the idea that a former dancer could play basketball. On the other hand, maybe the early press reports got the translation wrong. In any event, I'll be interested to learn more about his background. And I guess I'll still root for him!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:48 am 

Stephon Marbury, an NBA player with the Phoenix Suns, studies ballet in off-season to help him with balance and foot work. Since he's a point guard he is not too tall to find a partner. Chamique Holdsclaw star college and WNBA player, also studied ballet. Her grandmother hoped she'd be a professional dancer but Chamique preferred sports, and since she ended up 6'2" she's probably better off with basketball than ballet. I understand a couple of baseball players have also studied dance to help with balance and coordination.<BR>It's hardly a disgrace to be a pro athlete and study dance; for many, it's a help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:18 am 

When I taught at the college there were several sports athletes (male) in class. The football players were especially fearsome. Well, they were so <B><big>BIG !</big></B> Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]