public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Resolutions for the New Year...................
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 10:05 am 

I am going to admit that I stole this idea from Christina - but she's so nice - I don't think she will mind at all.....<P>What do you think a good dancer or dance teacher, or lover of dance should resolve to do in this coming New Year?<P>I RESOLVE while watching Swan Lake, third act, <B>NOT</B> to count to see if the ballerina is doing the full 32 fouettes. (and snicker happily if she doesn't)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Resolutions for the New Year...................
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 10:09 am 

Or to bear down on your seat with your hands and push your face out when watching burdensome lifts?<P>And hey, who told you I was nice! Boy, don't let THAT get around. I might have to live up to it. I'm glad you included dancers AND teachers -- we all need to improve our act from time to time. I'll ponder this a bit and get back to ya.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 2:30 pm 

Some serious offerings -- in the interest of good health in the year 2001, here's my 10:<P>1. (For women over 40) get that mammogram!<P>2. Get your 5-7 (minimum) of vegies and fruits daily, raw or steamed.<P>3. Nothing against your favorite local coffee shop, but instead of java and pastry before class, why not save that for a once a week get together afterwards and instead opt for a homemade smoothie. Plain yogurt, OJ and bananas in a blender is easy and good. Can add some protein or vitamin powder.<P>4. Work against using plastic wrap, particularly if you're heating food. People on the go who are also watching weight love to nuke those all in one dinners that come in a plastic container with a thin layer of plastic on top. STOP. Plastic -- especially in thinnest layers, when heated, leaches dioxin into the food. <P>5. We're all using computers, but are we ensuring that we're keeping an arm's length away from the screen? Watch the radiation.<P>6. When possible, opt for natural approaches to healing ourselves. Example -- many dancers let orthopods give them cortisone shots for aches and pains. A couple of weeks off or working a little lower and smaller could alleviate problems, while the cortisone over time could result in joint aches (ironic!), among other travails.<P>7. Many of us have longer hair we need to pin up. A hair dryer seems like a nice, quick way to help get the hair ready for the day. But with the possibility that EMFs close to the body pose some risk of harm, why not wash hair at night, and allow to air dry? Easier on the hair too. <P>8. Cell phones are just for emergencies. Cell phones are just for emergencies. Cell phones are just for emergencies. Watch the time on the cordless as well. <P>9. Sleep deprivation leads to shorter lives (not to mention crabbier people). It's a wonderful healer. Don't scrimp here.<P>10. Remember to ENJOY class. As a colleague says, approach with grace and purpose, and I'll add "gratitude."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 4:30 pm 

Christina, Christina - that checkup is not in my list of "Fun Stuff" to do..LOL<P>So.....<P>I RESOLVE that after doing all the things that Christina says - I am going to PARTY!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 5:00 pm 

christina: "EMF's"?<P>and i'm with you on #8 (i don't even HAVE one, but i'm beginning to think i am the ONLY person in the developed world who can say that.....)<P>but then, i don't pollute the world with a car either!!!!!!!! i'm just <I>too</I> pure.... Image<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 5:53 am 

Ok - I am going to admit to a lot of backwardness here -<P>I don't have a cell phone<BR>I don't have a hair dryer<BR>I only have one telephone line<BR>I have a clothes dryer - but only for rainy days - otherwise it's out on the clothes line<P>I surely am not pure - just backwards -soooo<P>I RESOLVE in the New Year to be even more backward.......how about that?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 9:53 am 

EMFs are electromagnetic fields. The National Breast Cancer Fund (headquartered in SF,CA) has literature on this (and a powerful documentary film, "Rachel's Daughters), as well as how other aspects of 20th century life may contribute to breast cancer -- if not individually, then cumulatively. Research has shown that, for example, people whose work takes them into direct, regular contact with EMFs (telephone line workers, etc.) may be more at risk. It's recommended, as a precaution, to limit lifetime exposure to such items as hair dryers, electric blankets -- such things that come into very close contact with the body. It's also recommended to not have your bed touching a wall with an electric power source.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 11:32 am 

Sometimes avoidance is difficult, so moderation in all things, except, sometimes chocolate.<P>Grace, back to that pure thing again! I recall you mentioning that several months ago. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 12:49 pm 

I was hoping for some fun type resolutions...............<P>I RESOLVE to eat just as much chocolate this year as last year. So there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 1:14 pm 

But I was trying to show I was capable of serious, contemplative thought. Nuts!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 4:21 pm 

oh! electro-magnetic fields! yes - i understand about them, but i had no idea that a hairdryer was something to think of, that way - thanks for the caution! at present, in 40 degree heat, believe me, the sun does the drying pretty fast!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 5:19 pm 

That's funny Grace, it was recently about 40 degrees here in Alaska too. Just a different kind of degree, I guess since if my hair gets dried outside these days it's freeze-dried!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 11:14 pm 

haha priscilla! i'd rather have MY 40 degrees than YOUR 40 degrees any day, thanks! freeze-dried, indeed! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 12:55 pm 

I have two resolutions, and I'd be very surprised if I keep either of them.<P>Like Basheva, I resolve not to count the 32 fouettes in Act 3 of Swan Lake. Not much hope here - I've been counting them for as long as I can remember. In fact, until I read Basheva's brilliant idea it had never crossed my mind that it was possible not to count them. As soon as I hear that music I start muttering "One, two, three..." Can I break the habit of a lifetime?<P>My second resolution has nothing to do with fouettes, or any other acrobatic trick, but a lot to do with everything else. I resolve never again to say "Of course, Fonteyn was better". No hope at all of keeping this one!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 3:11 pm 

To tie those two statements about the fouettes and Fonteyn. I remember reading about her talking about one of her performances of Swan Lake, maybe one she performed in Australia. She was describing how she took a Cook's tour of the stage while attempting those (horrid) 32 fouettes. <P>And another thing. Counting those fouettes is compulsive behaviour, and the only way we can stop is to seek professional help!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next