public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dancers Sidetracked by Other Careers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 5:55 am 
3 very sexy ladies from the old BATMAN TV series:Julie Newmar(Catwoman),Eartha Kitt(also Catwoman,danced for Kathryn Dunham-spell wrg),Yvonne Craig(Batgirl,trained in ballet,I believe was in a co. as well).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 11:23 am 

Image <P><BR>Right, Angela. Yvonne Craig joined the Ballet Russe in 1954. She also collects African masks that were used in ceremonial dancing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 3:10 pm 
WOW--thanks MAGGIE!!!So it was the Ballet Russe?Seeing her in that costume again motivates me to DEFINITELY continue my lessons!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 3:11 pm 

Yes, Angela. Then you can get a costume just like it! I wonder what it was made of.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:19 pm 
LOL-Maggie)<BR>The Tilly sisters also danced Meg(Big Chill) and Jennifer(Bullets Over Broadway)--Meg was on her way to ABT from Canada ,I believed when she was 1st side tracked by a back injury....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:53 am 
CARMEN ELECTRA was/is a dancer.You know her--from that VERY INFORMATIVE show about lifeguards,Baywatch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:57 am 

Has anyone mentioned Michelle Yeoh of "Croaching Tiger..." fame. She was at the Royal Academy and had to quit when the also developed a back injury. She then went on the do the much less strenuous art of Hong Kong action films...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:57 am 
Thats right LMCtech-I remember reading that too!Hasnt done so bad,has she?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:52 am 

Zhang Ziyi (Who played Jen, Jade Fox's protegee) was also ballet trained as a child in Beijing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:10 pm 

Seems like the transition might be an easy one. Maybe I should try that next...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 9:34 am 

And then there was Lucille Ball:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>'I Love Lucy': Coolly Confident, Timelessly Funny<P>JOYCE MILLMAN, NY Times<P>...<P>Trained as a dancer, she took pratfalls, contorted herself into pretzels and arches, and it all made for a thrilling lesson in the strength and agility of the female body. (Decades later, physical comedians like Lily Tomlin and Gilda Radner finished what Ball started, turning chaotic energy into a feminist statement.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/14/arts/television/14MILL.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 6:37 am 
Lucy was on TWICE in the morning here --than it was replaced by this stupid show SEX WARS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:04 pm 
Actress JASMINE GUY from series A DIFFERENT WORLD--she danced in the Broadway cast of the WIZ.<BR> And the late,beautiful ANITA MORRIS;who was in the Broadway hit NINE(in that famous, blacklace, see-through outfit),and made many TV,movies appearances.She was married to GROVER DALE--who also and continues to dance--besides being a columnist for DANCE MAGAZINE and publisher of DANCE FITNESS.He was part of the original WEST SIDE STORY,and many other wonderful Broadway and movie musicals.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:10 pm 
ZELDA FITZGERALD;I'm watching a documentary on F.Scott Fitzgerald-its very sad.<BR> Basically she gave up her dancing and her OWN writing talent to be his wife(she tried to break into the pro ballet circuit and had at least one book published);she was intentionally overshadowed by him and if you ask me thats probably the REAL reason she became crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 4:22 pm 

yeah, Jasmine guy is currently teaching dance in california.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next