public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: TODAY IS.......
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 7:30 am 

Today is....raining!! This is very unusual for San Diego. We seldom get rain at all between the end of April and the beginning of November or even December.<P>Today is also Memorial Day, a national holiday, in the United States. A day we remember the sacrifices and efforts of those in our history.<P>It is often celebrated not only with remembrance types of ceremonies but also with picnics, outings, and lots of outdoor activity. Especially here in San Diego, almost everything is done outdoors. We do have a couple of enclosed shopping malls, but most are open.<P>The city is filled with tourists, which is a major industry here. San Diego is a prime tourist destination. So, all of those people who came from thousands of miles away and spent so much time, money and effort to get here will be disappointed by the weather. Even if it stops raining, its just dripping a bit now, the beaches and parks will be wet. <P>What is it doing in your part of the world?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TODAY IS.......
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 7:40 am 

Somewhat farther up the coast, it is threatening, but yet to precipitate. The type of day to take a walk along a rocky shoreline and watch the pelicans fight the wind and surf for their supper.<P>Unfortunately, the rocky shoreline is much further north.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 8:36 am 

Vancouver, BC is rain, rain, rain. We actually had a dry spell and this is the first day of rain in awhile so I'm sure the plants are enjoying it. I'm just glad Monday is my day off. Lol, did I just say day off? Oh, that's funny.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 8:45 am 

Summer is just kicking off here (at last). Husband has gone for his evening pre-supper run along the beach, and we will be eating our pasta when he returns. I see us on the beach this weekend. Which means my annual angst over wearing a swimming costume. And no, I didn't retain the figure once I gave up dancing/teaching! Image<P>Our equivalent to memorial day is the 11th hour of the 11th day of the eleventh month each year, except it gets transferred to the nearest Sunday for convenience. The Queen and most of her family, all the major politicians, Forces commanders and Ambassadors lay wreathes on the Cenotaph (near The Houses of Parliament), followed by a huge parade of ex-servicemen and veterans. Very moving it all is too.<p>[This message has been edited by Red Shoes (edited May 28, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 12:34 pm 

It is very humid as I sit at my computer at 10.30p.m. in the UK. It has at last been a gorgeous Bank Holiday weekend in the UK. We have been down by the river today and it was lovely, apart from some youth who thought it was funny to throw stones at a pair of ducks, but once we'd dispatched him it was truly lovely.<P>At Last!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 1:34 pm 

Red Shoes, we have that, too. It was originally called "Armistice Day" and after WWII was renamed "Veterans' Day". Of course, as with Memorial Day, many Americans don't stop to think about what it really means.<P>XXVII. "Is my team ploughing..."<BR>by A. E. Housman (1859-1936) <P>'Is my team ploughing,<BR>That I was used to drive<BR>And hear the harness jingle<BR>When I was man alive?' <P>Ay, the horses trample,<BR>The harness jingles now;<BR>No change though you lie under<BR>The land you used to plough. <P>'Is football playing<BR>Along the river shore,<BR>With lads to chase the leather,<BR>Now I stand up no more?' <P>Ay, the ball is flying,<BR>The lads play heart and soul;<BR>The goal stands up, the keeper<BR>Stands up to keep the goal. <P>'Is my girl happy,<BR>That I thought hard to leave,<BR>And has she tired of weeping<BR>As she lies down at eve?' <P>Ay, she lies down lightly,<BR>She lies not down to weep:<BR>Your girl is well contented.<BR>Be still, my lad, and sleep. <P>'Is my friend hearty,<BR>Now I am thin and pine,<BR>And has he found to sleep in<BR>A better bed than mine?' <P>Yes, lad, I lie easy,<BR>I lie as lads would choose;<BR>I cheer a dead man's sweetheart,<BR>Never ask me whose.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 3:42 pm 

There was an excellent program on TV last night held at the Library of Congress (I believe it was) in Washington DC. It was based on a book that was recently published which contains letters from soldiers from all the wars from the American Revolution to this day. Previously unpublished letters.<P>They were read as far as possible by renowned veterans still alive today. For instance Senator McCain read letters from Vietnam veterans. Senator Inoway (sp.?)from Hawaii who is of Japanese descent and was severely injured in the Second WW in Italy. He read letters from the battalion that was comprised entirely of Japanese American citizens - the most highly decorated combat unit in the war. <P>It was very moving...a view from the trenches. So different from the view of historians. <BR> <BR>But, I don't think they would want us to be sad....I think they would want us to celebrate what we have and who we are.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:20 am 

In London, there is a well observed two minutes silence, ended with a volley of cannons. People DO actually stand still, and stay silent. Similar ceremonies are held at the same time all over the country and at the War Graves worldwide (I live very near Anzio, Nettuno and Montecassino, three names which should be sadly familiar to all).<P>The Soldier (1914)<P>If I should die, think only this of me:<BR>That there's some corner of a foreign field<BR>That is forever England. There shall be<BR>In that dust a richer dust concealed;<BR>A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,<BR>Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam.<BR>,<BR>A body of England, breathing English air.<BR>Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.<P>And think, this heart, all evil shed away,<BR>A pulse in the eternal mind, no less<BR>Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;<BR>Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;<BR>And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,<BR>In hearts at peace, under an English Heaven.<P><BR> RUPERT BROOKE (1887-1915)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 10:34 am 

That's very lovely Red Shoes, thank you....<P><BR>......................<P>And today is another day.....after ballet class I went to the lake. The swans are still sitting on their nest. They do this every year, but there have been no successful birthings yet for this pair. A number of naturalists have been consulted. Everything has been tried - to no avail.<P>But the squirrels are busy with the schooling of their babies. The crows are calling and you can hear the answering higher pitched calls of their young. The rabbits are tearing around with their housekeeping. And the falcon circles over it all and watches....and waits.<P>Life continues, the animals know no other way. Thank the Lord.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 11:44 am 

Want to see my nearest lake? It's not a brilliant pic, but here goes:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.latinaweb.net" TARGET=_blank>www.latinaweb.net</A> <P>click on cartoline at the top.<BR>then click on the last one. Laghi.<BR>After that click on Il litorale. That's the beach where we will be sunbathing tomorrow!<BR>AT LAST!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 12:11 pm 

Is this it Red Shoes?:<P> Image <P>Can I come? You bring the food - I adore Italian food.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 12:18 pm 

!!!!!!!! Aren't you clever!!!!!<P>Lago di Fogliano - 'made' by Mussolini, and backs right on to the sea. Plenty of wildlife, including water buffalo. Real Mozzarella is made from water buffalo milk.<P>Latina was also a pet hobby of Mussolini's, and most of the original inhabitants were migrants from the north east of Italy. Before he reclaimed the plain and built Latina, the whole area was mosquito-infested marshes. We still have quite a few mosquitos, but they no longer give you malaria, happily.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 12:19 pm 

..but I was kind of hoping you'd put the beach pic up as well, if I ask nicely..?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 1:29 pm 

Red Shoes - Here it is - just bring some cannoli.....and some tiramasu ....and some eggplant parmigiana, angel hair pasta on the side, some crunchy bread....<P> Image <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 2:32 pm 

Yummy! Good food, nice beach, I'm there!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next