CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: How bout 'STAR TREK--THE BALLET'???
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:56 am 
Hey,they're making everything else into a ballet........whataya's think???

Post subject: Re: How bout 'STAR TREK--THE BALLET'???
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:32 am 

I think the "Hollywoodization" of Broadway has been a travesty. No longer will we see many truly original Broadway shows, but only re-makes of movies and TV shows. In the 1940's, we had "Oklahoma". In the 1980's we got "Cats". Today, "The Lion King" is the biggest Broadway hit around. Sorry, but I already saw the original film; why should I spend $100 to see it on Broadway?<P>If this trend continues into the Ballet world, it will only serve to confirm what everyone already suspects: that Ballet is quite irrelevant.<BR>

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:37 am 

how 'bout NOT. :p

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:45 am 
but....but......we'd make $$$$$$$$$$$$$!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:47 am 

For some people it is impossible due to location for them to ever get to see a Broadway Show - so a movie is one way to at least taste a bit of what the rave is about. For others, a movie can never take the place of a live Broadway show. So, we make choices.<P><BR>I can't agree that people suspect that ballet is irrelevant, any more so than symphonic music, opera, paintings, sculpture. The bottom line is the only truly 'relevant' things are food, shelter and clothing.<P>But, a totally relevant life, based on the above definition, is not one I would relish. So bring on some 'irrelevant' stuff. And let's enjoy it all.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:56 am 

Oh, well, if we could make $$$$$... How about <I>Friday the 13th - The Movie</I>? I believe it has even more sequels that can be turned into ballets. That would provide a lot of work for a lot of dancers -- and the person cast as Jason would have his life's work cut out for him!<p>[This message has been edited by djb (edited May 29, 2002).]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:34 am 

My point is about the integrety of a piece of art, as originally conceived. Some shows started out on stage, some on film.<P>My instinct is to leave them as is, if at all possible. This especially makes sense if the original version was done in a cheap, highly distributed medium, such as film or TV.<P>In general, you risk to lose when you move from film to live action. And why bother with the expense?<P><BR>

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:09 am 
I get everyone elses drift,but djb's idea is a RIOT Image Image Image!<BR>LOLOL!!!<BR>JASON IN TIGHTS.<p>[This message has been edited by angela (edited May 29, 2002).]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:35 pm 

I realized that although there are more <I>Friday the 13th</I> sequels, the casts of the <I>Star Trek</I> movies are much larger, and would be better for employing large numbers of dancers. Of course, you'd need the stage of the Bolshoi Theater.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:22 pm 

And remember, Star Trek always has that "expendable" extra around. It would make for a great little solo. I can see it now. He gets chased by the alien creature, zapped with his death ray and has to dance a frenzied death dance to the audiences delight and despair. I think Spock would make for an uninspired dance character. Perhaps Matthew Bourne would want to take this porject on, hmmm? Then again, how would one play such great lines like, "He's dead, Jim," or "I'm giving it all I can Captain. Anymore and she'll break apart."<P>How 'bout the cast of Star Trek end up on the Planet of the Friday the 13th People? <P>I'd pay to see this one. Then again, I love "B: movies so I'd see just about anything with a hint of schlock to it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:03 pm 

I think those stock lines could be handled by mime (what's a 3-act ballet without some mime?). It would be handy also for McCoy's famous line: "I'm a doctor, not a [substitute various non-medical professions]."

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:07 pm 

I want to know who will dance the part of the Tribbles...<P>

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:10 pm 

The little kids in the school, of course!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:19 pm 

Should 'Romeo and Juliet' have been left as a play and not made it into a ballet? I'm rather glad that it was balleticized.<P>One well-known dance professional in London thought that the choreography for 'The Lion King' was better than most he had seen that year. The current London dance captain used to dance in the Martha Graham Dance Company. <P>I'm looking forward to the forthcoming ballet version of 'The Simpsons'. Can't say more now....sworn to secrecy.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 29, 2002).]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:23 pm 

Oh, Stuart, do tell!!! Who is cast?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next