public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Did You Ever.......?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 6:42 am 

Did you ever meet someone famous? By "meet" I don't mean just seen from a distance. I mean <P> shake hands with<BR> <BR> OR <BR>actually say hello<P> OR <P> get an autograph........<P>Who was the most famous person you ever met? (doesn't have to be a dancer)<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited October 24, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Did You Ever.......?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:08 am 

Baryshnikov and Kirkland after a dream performance of Giselle ( I actually took a book about ABT to the show-the name escapes me now)and I had Kirkland sign it many times.<P>Thomas Hampson and Renee Fleming (it was at a very intimate recital with a reception afterward.)<P>Anthony Dowell<BR>Makarova<BR>Most of the Royal Ballet Co. when they were in Berkeley, CA in the late 70's.<BR>Peggy Fleming<BR>Dorothy Hamill<BR>Brian Boitano<P>I could go on and on, but I won't. You get the gist. :-) <P>DH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 10:18 am 

Well David - WOW - Can I be your friend and follow you around?????????? Gelsey Kirkland was such a treasure - I saw her do an exquisite La Sylphide.<P>I met, spoke to and got the autograph of opera Diva Joan Sutherland - who is my very favorite soprano.<P>Prima Ballerina Assoluta Alicia Alonso<P>the late ABT Principal dancer Patrict Bissel<P> Danish Royal Ballet Prima Ballerina Margarethe Schanne<P> Valery and Galina Panov<P>NYCB Principal Jillana<P>the late Robert Rodham, Principal, NYCB<P>Royal Ballet: Keith Martin, Elaine Thomas<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 10:57 pm 

Does the Energizer Bunny count?<P> Image <P>I didn't shake his hand, or say hello, or ask for his autograph. But I did touch his ears.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 1:12 am 

Well, I've met Howdy Doody and Kermit the Frog.<P><BR>Oh, and a bunch of actors, singers, and dancers. . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 8:47 am 

Salzberg - you couldn't have met Hoody Doody - you couldn't be that old - only I am that old - It's Hoody Doody time, it's Hoody Doody time - it's time to start the show - soooooooooooo kids lets gooooooooooo !!!!<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited October 25, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 3:24 am 

WOW! the energiser bunny! Image<P>once when i was in a gift shop in covent garden i spoke to kylie minogue!!!!<P>btw, she's REALLY BEAUTIFUL up close...<P>and i used to know joan baez...<P>i knew someone who used to date prince andrew - she was heaps more exciting than 'fergie' too...that was way back before the wedding...<P>ooh yes: anthony hopkins (now Sir)....also in covent garden...<P>really dredging my brain, now....<P>ooh yes - i spoke with one of the beachboys at the monterey folk festival, way back when....giving away my age now, eh? i could mention a few other funny rock type connections, but my age would appear to be getting worse and worse, if i did...i notice that judith mackrell commented that this dancer vanity about age presented a problem when compiling the new Concise Oxford Dictionary of Dance - so many dancers won't tell the truth.... Image<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 3:26 am 

hey, i have to mention THIS one - i was in a tiny and expensive Double Bay shoe store (that's sydney's beverley hills) when tina turner came in! her hotel was just round the corner. i was just about to leave when she arrived - i didn't hang about - but i was impressed. gutsy lady! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:01 am 

I met kim mitchell in a beer store in collingwood ontario about 10 years ago.<BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:19 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><I>Salzberg - you couldn't have met Hoody Doody - you couldn't be that old - only I am that old</I><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, Mr. Doody had long since retired from the screen at the time that I met him in 1972, but I'm old enough to remember watching the show.<P>My dad has a picture of me "working" the puppet. Really.<P>As far as dancers, singers, and actors, I've met Peter Boal, Helene Alexopoulis, Albert Evans, Bill T. Jones, Jessye Norman, k. d. lang, Johnny Rotten, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Patrick Bissell, Shirley MacLaine, and Mary Carpenter.<p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited October 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 9:46 am 

I believe that the creator of Howdy Doody died not that long ago. <P>Patrick Bissel's untimely death was a real tragedy. I saw him teaching an all men's ballet class - talk about impressive -

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 9:54 am 

Well I can't claim any such encounters with the famous, but my Mum danced with a man who danced with a girl who danced with the Prince of Wales.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 3:24 pm 

salzberg: LOVE jessye norman! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 4:18 pm 

But, but - Stuart - you know us - and we are ALL famous - so there you go !!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:43 pm 

Alicia Markova.<P>Margot Fonteyn, several times. She was always very sweet to everybody, exactly the same offstage as on.<P>Rudolf Nureyev, also several times. He was also very nice to fans when he was young.<P>Erik Bruhn. I only met him once, when he was waiting for Margot and Rudi outside the Royal Opera House in London. He too was friendly, and spoke English with a slight American accent. The three of them then all drove off in the same car. I wondered what would happen to ballet if it crashed!<P>Frederick Ashton. Anthony Dowell.<P>Non-ballet people: Sir Harold Wilson, British Prime Minister.<P>Singers Peter Pears, Michael Chance, Willard White.<P>British TV personalities Richard Briers, Richard Baker.<P>One or two of these may not be known outside Britain - I haven't heard of some of the other people mentioned on this thread. I also realise that apart from Michael Chance (well-known English counter-tenor)and Anthony Dowell, there is nobody very recent on this list. Well, I don't live in London now, which makes a big difference, and I don't hang round stage doors any more!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next