public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet Peeve List
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 6:32 am 
RossenRachel,I actually like Disco too....but I'll be nice to you as far as the bungie jumping-GEE ARE YOU BRAVE!!!Your my hero,etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 7:03 am 

My latest pet peeve is 14 year old boys who barge in front of you at the theatre bar. Because as you all know, no one can make it through the second act of a ballet without some b-b-q chips...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:00 pm 
Well Marie,at least they're not trying to get a beer.......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:02 pm 
Which brings me to ANOTHER pet peeve....CHEAP BEER;and woo woo boys(those boys/men who wear backwards baseball caps,rolling their fist in a circle,in the air,crying out WOO WOO WOO!)who get drunk off of it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:21 pm 

Red Shoes, if you poison pigeons, I'm not sure you'll be able to eat them afterwards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:35 pm 

Maybe not Azlan, but we could do the Wienerschnitzel Waltz or the Masochism Tango instead... Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:02 am 

My pet peeve is people who think they know about a subject you are something of an expert in, and tell you things in such certain terms that there is absolutely no point in trying to argue. My friend told me that pointe shoes had blocks of wood in them, and when I said that they didn't, she said "well they used to when I was young" (i.e. 15 years ago) in such a way that I couldn't contradict her. Another friend was telling me all about nuclear power and how her dad (who is a medical doctor) said this that and the other about it. I have a DEGREE IN PHYSICS but apparently I know less than nothing about the subject. That one actually isn't a peeve, more of a thing which makes me so cross I have to leave the room and calm down. Image<P>Other peeves - the sound of people typing loudly especially when they hit the enter key really hard (like that will make the data go in better). And the sound of people eating with their mouth open, smacking their lips, etc. <P>And now I have made myself sound like a lunatic, so I will stop now. I think I am turning into Victor Meldrew in my old age.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:28 am 

Another one: critics who acknowledge that a lights/sets/costumes/whatever are an integral part of a dance piece, yet doesn't mention the names of the artists who created them.<P>------------------<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>"Shang-a-lang, feel the <I>sturm und drang</I> in the air!"<BR>Online portfolio: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:32 am 

Welll, Hoxy, I can tell you for sure that 15 years ago there was no wood in pointe shoes, because 15 yrs ago I was already dancing for over 15 yrs. Tell your friend that.<P>Now, as to nuclear power....well, of course I know about that too - the word nu-clear means the power is clear which means it's nice and shiny because its 'nu', and you can see through it and it makes little noises that go 'blip-blip', whereas electricity goes 'ziz-ziz'. <P>But you can't touch nu-clear power because if you do you will get 'radiation' which means that every radio in your house will turn on. Which isn't good. So never use nuclear energy for radios.<P>I also know that nuclear energy is very old, because the thingies that make it - those roddy things - last for 500,000 years. And that's old. Even older than me. Always respect your elders, so I respect nuclear energy.<P>Are you convinced about how knowledgeable I am about nuclear energy?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:00 am 

I am very impressed by your expert knowledge, basheva. It isnearly as good as my sister's description of evolution which I paste here:<BR>"I have a good knowlegde of evolutionary theory. What happened was that first we were mud, and then we were fish and the fish grew legs and wore shoes and socks and smoked pipes, and then we were monkeys and then hairy men, and then we invented the wheel and became humans. And then mr darwin found some fossils in a cliff face and the ones at the bottom were older than the ones at the top and religion disappeared. Do you understand now?"<P>Now THAT is expert knowledge!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 4:29 am 

Hoxy, could you ask your sister if I can quote her in my phylogeny term paper? I would like her to clarify though: did the fish smoke through their gills or had they already developed higher respiratory systems?<P>Pet peeves just keep popping into my mind... oh gee... well in my first year of university my only professor who spoke enough English to be able to lecture effectively was my advanced French prof. That was incredibly frustrating of course, because the whole reason I chose to go to an English university even though I am francophone is to LEARN ENGLISH. I actually gave in and bought the French version of my biopsychology textbook (don't tell my parents, they'd kill me!) because I figure if the prof can't speak English then I shouldn't have to either. <P>One final note - professors whose first language is not English invariably have fatal typos and grammatical errors on final exams, sometimes causing an entire class of 300 to misinterpret an (80% value) essay question and fail a course.<P>Sure, it's not dance related exactly. But when I got an F in a class that I knew inside and out, I'll bet my students had a brutal class that night. Image<P><BR>PS - the university investigated the mass failure and our grades were adjusted by outside markers according to how the question had been worded.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 6:15 am 

The generation gap....<P>The other day I just had to have two slices of pizza for lunch (it was one of those things) and I stopped into a take-out pizza type place and asked for two slices of plain cheese pizza. I have done this several times before.<P>Me: "I would like two slices of plain cheese pizza, please."<P>The clerk says to me "there is only one piece of plain cheeze pizza left."<P>So I said, "how come every time I come in here you only have one piece? Why don't you make more, since it seems to be so popular?"<P>He says, "you are the only one who buys plain cheese slices."<P>Me: "Well, how could that be? If you only have one slice left, then what happened to the rest of the pizza?"<P>Clerk: cloudy look in his eyes.<P>I am missing something here, I just know I am, it couldn't be this simple.<P>(and don't tell me I shouldn't be eating pizza, I know that already)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:52 am 
...which brings me to another pet peeve Basheva.....LIARS!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 8:43 am 

Especially snot-nosed teens in customer service positions who lie to save their butts.<P>The Gap in notorious for this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:03 am 

Pet Peeve: Generation Gap, continued.<P>I'm a snot-nosed teen for another 28 days. Image My job is as a youth intern for a government computer access program. I'm supposed to organize and teach computer courses. Tonight I am teaching "basic computer literacy skills for seniors." It doesn't matter that I've studied computer science at the university level. I work with someone twice my age with half my nerdiness and they like her just fine. They don't listen to me because I'm just a kid (hey, I might have 19 on my birth certificate but I have 14 on my face) and they are automatically suspicious of anything I say or do. <P>Me - "OK, now use the LEFT mouse button to click on the Submit button"<P>Lady - "I think it's easier to click with the RIGHT button though"<P>Me - "The right button doesn't do the same thing though, if you want to submit your form you need to use the LEFT button."<P>Lady - "I don't see why you insist on making this so difficult. Why can't you just make it work with the right button?"<P>Me - (resisting the urge to wrap my fingers around Lady's neck) "I didn't make the computer, that's just the way it works. The right mouse button does different things, I can show you some later."<P>Lady - "Well I have never heard of anything so ridiculous in all my life. I want to use a different computer."<P><BR>Now, I will agree with you that lying teenagers are probably 6 times as annoying as lying adults, particularly in customer service. But please PLEASE remember that not all of us are sneaky and trying to cheat you!! I hate the way they look at me suspiciously every time I suggest that maybe something would work better if they did "X" instead of "Y" as if I programmed the computer myself to be finicky.<P>My posts on this subject are straying farther and farther from dance; I think this is because dancing is my way of blowing off steam and putting things back into perspective after I am incessantly annoyed by the people around me all day long. Where are my tap shoes? I think I need them right now. Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next