public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Pet Peeve List
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:13 am 

Sarah - I can relate to that - I think most of us can.....we were all young once. My sister had a terrible time when she first started teaching, the parents didn't want to talk to her because they thought she was one of the students.<P>And it goes the other way too - and this is dance related. This happened when I had been dancing and teaching for many, many years - I was obviously not a beginner.<P>I was teaching the ballet component in a dance section of a college summer session given to high schoolers called "College for Kids." The first day of class with a group of 16 yr. olds - most of whom had never been in a dance class - or ballet class - before.<P>At one point I said, "If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask."<P>Well, one young thing, with her hands on her hips and her nose in the air replied:<P>"And what makes you think you'll have the answer?"<P>Me: "Try me."<P>ok, I know that wasn't a diplomatic answer, but at the moment I wasn't feeling especially diplomatic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:49 am 

I will sgree that the other side of my pet peeve is also a pet peeve.<P>I look and sound very young for my age. I get really miffed when parents/ older adults/ box office personnel treat me like a lying snot-nosed teen, when in fact I am a very well-informed, honest dry-nosed 30-yr. old. This may be why I am very empathetic to the plight of the teen-ager. They get blamed for all of societies ills. However, my empathy turns to annoyance the minute you lie to me. And actually that goes for adults too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:51 am 
...which brings another pet peeve;when adults DO blame Teens for all societies ills.I'm not a parent true,but after taking care of kids/youngsters over the years I believe that teens are a big reflection of whats happening in their homes and in the world overall-whether they are polite,rude,unhappy,disconnected,etc.<BR>And getting to know kids/teens AND THEIR PARENTS closely,I'm way convinced of this.Why do adults expect teens to have pristine values,flawless behavior when adults themselves dont???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 9:31 am 

Every teacher I know (dance and academic) says that when you meet a parent for the first time ALL IS EXPLAINED.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:44 am 

Here's one: You put your heart and soul into choreographing a ballet and choose the dancer's...all agree to commit, then complain when they are expected to work!! One of the girls always says she doesn't want to practice in her pointe shoes...but the dance is on pointe!! What gives? <P>Another one is girls who say they've been dancing ballet for 10 years but have no technique...they might of taken classes on and off during that time..but they still count the years they weren't dancing at all, just to show off. They don't realize that this makes them look worse than if they just said they've been dancing four years all together (or whatever)!! Hmmm...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:45 am 
Thats a good(bad)one Christie.<BR>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:19 pm 

Lack of commitment in dancers is apet peeve for all choreographers I would think. But I find it hard to demand absolute commitment when you can't pay.<P>But on that same thread. If you can pay your dancers, the ones who think they should be getting MORE pay than the others for no apparent reason are always annoying. (Then they wonder why no one is using them anymore.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:57 pm 

LMCTech said <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Every teacher I know (dance and academic) says that when you meet a parent for the first time ALL IS EXPLAINED.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How true, How true!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:51 pm 

How about critics who try to pull the wool over the eyes of their readers?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:04 pm 

LMCtech and Joanne - I disagree with that statement. I think it's true for a LOT of the time, but not every time.<P>I've had great pupils with terrible parents, I've had horrible pupils with lovely parents, and nice pupils with nice parents, and yeuch pupils with even yeuchier mums, but it's a bit sweeping to say that meeting mum and/or dad explains everything.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 3:25 am 

I have obviously lead a charmed life where everything is black and white because in my experience meeting the parents usually explains a lot of things.<P>Bear in mind though that a lot of the statements in this thread are generalisations - but is fun and I don't think anyone means anyone else any harm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 5:28 am 

ok - I have another....<P>I volunteer at the local branch library and I just can't believe the many time I have seen parents bring in a small child, and then sit there and <B>watch</B> the child pull books off the shelves, litter the floor, say nothing, do nothing, and then walk away.<P>One 6 yr. old did this while dad was watching. She pulled a couple of hundred books randomly off the shelves and piled them up on the floor. When the librarian asked her what she was doing, she replied, "I am building a castle."<P>Well, she is only six - but dad is older and presumably should know better. He just sat there and smiled. It took us a good couple of hours to sort out the books and reshelve them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 7:12 am 

I think that even the exceptions are explained when you meet their parents. Either they are chips off the old block or they are rebelling against what they see at home.<P>I love meeting the parents, especially of the teenagers. They always tell us the most interesting things...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 9:06 am 
AH-another Library person(in Basheva);The childrens section is the HARDEST to keep up because of what you just said!<BR> Which brings me to yet another pet peeve-when parents say" you dont like children"or ARE YOU A PARENT!? when you try to enforce the rules of your library,place of business,etc.A number of us experienced that when we tried to tell parentrs that the children shouldnt run,pull down books,sit on top of the tables,etc.<BR>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 9:09 am 
AZLAN what are some examples of how critics try to pull the wool over the eyes of readers-just curious.You mean when they write that a performance was really good when it really stunk???

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8