public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Pet Peeve List
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:03 pm 

You all have them right? Pet peeves? Those things that get under your skin and drive you nuts, slowly (or sometimes quickly) chipping away at your sanity!<P>I have had an ongoing list accumulating over the past several years. This list serves many purposes...<P>Helps me keep track of my ever increasing number of pet peeves and gives me sanity by naming and dismissing the frustrations that I am suddenly experiencing. <P>Like to hear it? Here it goes...<P>#1 WIRE HANGERS - these of course are an all time crime at my house! Who can stand these things. My blood pressure rises just thinking about them! Getting all tangled in the closet and leaving knobbies on the shoulders of my shirts. (you know what I mean)<P>#2 LAME EXCUSES - really any excuse is a lame excuse. Just another reason why you didn't do what you were supposed to do...usually resulting in passing the blame onto someone else...never taking responsibility for anything.<P>.......there are lots more......<P>#12 SMACKING GUM! - what else do I have to say...<P>#15 DIGGING OUT KEYS FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PURSE - then everything on top has to fall out everywhere...<P>.......more and more.......<P>#30 something... ANY KIND OF BODY ODERS...perfume or otherwise...too much is too much. This is a fashion feuxpaux and must be extinguished. Don't they know we have to smell them... Image (Right Christina?)<P>#50 something... REPETATIVE NOISES - like the alarm clock beeping more than 2 times.<P>Well there are tons more...share some of yours and we can all get a good laugh!<P>I'll be back to share some more of mine later, if anyone is interested!<P> Image<P><p>[This message has been edited by Shy-AnneDirector (edited August 29, 2001).]

Post subject: Re: Pet Peeve List
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:48 pm 

My pet peeves are the teeny bopper sales clerks behind the counter who let loose with their font of knowledge...for instance....<P>I went into Barnes and Nobles Bookstore (a huge one) and asked for a certain author. The youngster asked me if the author was alive or dead - when I replied "dead" - he told me they only carried "live" authors.<P>I asked him - this store doesn't have any Shakespeare? Twain? Maugham? Tolstoy? Scott? Tennyson? Wharton? Voltaire? and on and on....<P>He said "of couse we do!!" <P>I said - "well, guess what - they are all dead".<P>His reply? "oh"<BR>.......................................<P>When I went into a huge supermarket deli to buy some sliced roast beef and was told by the teeny bopper behind the counter - they were out of it.....her exact words:<P>"We always have it, but we are out of it".<P>It was the fourth time I tried to buy it there. When I mentioned that fact, she said "oh no that can't be right - we ALWAYS have it, but we are out of it right now".<P>I gave up. And, just hope she doesn't want to dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:27 pm 
Shy-Anne,#1 makes you sound like Mommie Dearest!YIKES!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:36 pm 
My peeves are typical-things I think ANYONE would get mad at.<BR>Like people getting on the subway car before others are able to get out....one lady w/a cane swapped a guy when he tried to do it--she was a little thing too;I usually say a pray before the steam rises.<BR> Certain aspects of popular media like shock radio;reality shows in which they pretend to be your friend just to screw you and win money;those old beer commercials w/ the "Swedish Bikini Team"-knowing that if they drank all that beer they wouldnt look like THAT!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 10:34 am 

This is my first post...but i've read every subject on most of the boards!! I love this site!! Anyhoo, my pet peeves are:<P>#1 Hot Shots & show offs!! You know, the egomaniacs who think it's all about THEM!!!<P>#2 Pointe shoes that look oh so great in the dance shop but murder your arch line in class!!<P>#3 Last but not least, negative thinking. There is nothing that ruins the day more than someone else's or your own negative thoughts or input!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 10:39 am 

A: Dancers who treat designers and stagehands with anything other than respect.<P>B: Designers and stagehands who treat dancers with anything other than respect.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 11:07 am 

Welcome to the board Christie - great to have you join us.<P>I would add to your post about pointe shoes looking wonderful until they get on the feet...<P>One of my pet peeves is the person who is fitting on the pointe shoes in the store who hasn't the foggiest notion of what they are doing.<P>Like the time I went in and asked for a pair of Nicolini's and was told they only carried Capezios.<P>That's like asking for a Mustang and being told they only have Fords.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:15 am 

Pet Peeves... oh my, you don't want to get me started. Too late. I can feel my blood beginning to boil.<P>My absolute biggest pet peeve in the entire world is the ancient British system of inches and yards and pounds. What is that?? If you ever want to do anything scientific you need to convert to metric anyway. <P>My second biggest pet peeve is a professor who is hired from an American university and comes to Canada to teach Chemistry at my university and insists that we all buy the textbook that he co-authored. The textbook with no trace of metric ANYWHERE. He thought it would be useful for us to learn to do the conversion to "American". WHY???<P>My third biggest pet peeve? It's probably an 8-way tie, depending on what's happening at the moment that annoys me. I don't like people touching me. I don't mean people that I know and trust, but just people who are talking to me and stand really close and touch my arm. Or my leg. That's even worse.<P>I can't stand being out of step with someone when we walk beside each other. Have to do that extra little hop/skip/jump thing to get on the same foot. A dancer thing? Maybe. If I'm walking behind someone it's the same thing, gotta move my right when they do.<P>Now, this is a big one. Pay attention.<P>"ppl who dont no how 2 type rite. i dont no of NEthing sum1 could do 2 bug me more."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:33 pm 

1) also wire hangers esp when they get tangled and clang together<P>2) this is my biggest one(and I honestly have nevr heard of anyone else being bugged by it-although I cant be the only one can I??) but silveware being scraped together-ooh my god this drives me insane<P>3) people who dont know how to drive(dont use signal lights, slam on brakes, cut you off etc...)<P>4) people who talk down to me like i'm stupid. I happen to be pretty small(5'3 and less than 110 lbs) and I look young I'm 24 but I look more like 16, so I constantly have people talking to me like i'm a kid<P>5) that my dance studio only has one ballet class I can take, and yeah there is another studio where I am taking a class(so I now have two classes in ballet) but I wish I could do more.(I do more dance, just not more ballet, I also do tap and jazz)<P>6) there is this cd or soundtrack I would do just about anything for or even for some of the songs on it, and I have tried every cd store(in person and online) and I cannot find it, I dont know if the soundtrack was ever released but I mean the groups who did the songs on the movie had to have released some sort of album or something. Oh and the soudtrack I want is to Girls Just want to Have Fun(the movie from the 80s with SJ Parker and Helen Hunt)

Joey: That's it, you hide my underwear i'm gonna do the exact opposite to you.<br><BR>Chandler: what, what are you going to show me my clothes?<br><BR>Joey: Hey, opposite is... opposite<br><BR>FRIENDS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:53 am 

Hello RossnRachael - welcome to the board - it's great to have you join us.<P>One of your peeves reminded me of one of mine.<P>Well two actually:<P>Being in a restaurant where the waiters are clanging the dishes as they clear the tables. Drives me crazy.<P>When it takes longer to get a check and pay the bill at the restaurant than it took to eat the meal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 10:54 am 

Too funny...<P>Sarah...I like you already!<P>I can not stand when people breathe on me. Or if I have to breathe other peple's stale air! (this does make snuggling somewhat of an issue for me, but I work around it!)<P>HAHA<P>I saw Mommie dearsest long ago, and truly, that was not the onset of my disease re: hangers. Actually, i can't stand anything that gets tangled for even 2 seconds of my time.<P>Hmmm...# 40something is when people say words incorrectly and keep doing it and I try to stay quit4e and not correct them because I don't want them to feel stupid or anything....so I have to just leave if it get's too bad.<P>My husband says "ValentiMe's Day" instead of TINE's. Always without fail! I have mentioned it so now I guess he does it just to bug me.<P>Which brings onanother one. People who HAVE to do something because they KNOW it BUGS you! What is that?<P>Back to the incorrect words thing....Supposebly instead of Supposedly...it was even on "Friends." I could sooooo relate to Chandler on that one.<P>You know, I was a Speech communication major in college and back then and still now...I hate verbal garbage..um...like...ya' know...what im sayin'...<P>I taught speech for 2 years between dance programs and I was constantly in the habit of counting um's. I do it almost automatically after I hear the first 2 in a speech.<P>Our principal at the high school is the WORST. He gets on the PA system and says uh....over 15 times. Something has to be done. <P>I agree about negativity...although my pet peeves seems to sound so negative...I am a very optimistic and positive person.<P>My high mantenance-ness comes in because I like somethings the way I like them...peaceful and in order...<P>As I'm sure we all do. There are times when I don't tell people about them, but there are those precious moments when I have my heart set on something so perfect...a tragic flaw I know...then my world comes to a crashing halt with reality when that doesn't work out. <P>Sonic is a prime example...(if you don't have one...it's a hamburger restaurant) Bless there little hearts...they are all pretty much highschool students working at the one hear my house. If you think they don't listen in class, imagine giving instructions through a little voice box with a lot of external noise surrounding them and hope they get it right.<P>Usually, if I order loud and clear and in the right order that they can enter it into the computer, we are successful.....BUT...if my husband is ordering...forget it!<P>Did you know that if they don't punch in cheese for the burger at the beginning, then you say cheese at the end...they have to start ALL OVER! Oh my gosh! then the battle is on as to whether or not they remember everything and they get defensive if you ask them to read it back to you!<P>Good greif!<P>Okay, that is enough for now!<P>Bye! <P>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:03 pm 

(This is a dance board, remember?)<P>One of my pet peeves is kids who, when asked what types of dance they do, reply, "pointe and ballet".<P>I often reply that I'm thinking of taking up painting AND watercolor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:11 pm 

Well, maybe the hangers are dancing in the closet. Or the waiters clanging dishes could use a few dance lessons. <P>(Salzberg - your post came in three times - I took the liberty of deleting two of them - hope that's ok)<P>(if not, I will promise to type them back in 200 times - my fingers will really be dancing)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 7:01 am 

Pet peeves......<P>1) people talking to me like I'm 5. I know I look 8, but I"M ALMOST IN HIGHSCHOOL YOU IDIOTS! The worst thing is going into kidsgap (yes I still have to buy from the kids clothes) and asking for a dressing room. The saleslady can't be much more than a year older than me, but she leans down anbout two inches from my face and asks, "Are you sure your mommy wants you to try those on? how many clothes do you have?" I reply through gritted teeth, "I have two shirts and yes, my MOTHER would want me to try these on.That's why she DROPPED ME OFF AND LEFT ME HERE BY MYSELF and told me to buy some back to school clothes!" <P>2 Saying like and um. THe "you knows" and "wells" don't bug me as much but as soon as you say um or like than I start counting or correcting.<P>3 people touching my hair. I have really short curly hair like shirly temple and people are constantly coming up and and patting my head, or, even worse, taking ahold of one of my curls, pulls it straigh and then lets go. They seem to think it's the funniest thing ever.<P>Okay and now since I don't like being negative, I'll add three things I love<P><BR>1 going over to talk to my neighbor Nelly. She's 79 and the coolest person ever! SHe's still 20 at heart and always has stories to tell.<P>2 finding the EXACT book I want at the library<P>3 sleeping in

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:02 am 

Oh Man, Besheva, i laughed so hard over the guy at barns and noble saying they only carried live authors. LOLOLOL i had to share this one with my co-workers. there are some real winners out there, huh? i think my pet peeves are 1) people who don't read and correct misspellings and grammer errors on their e-mails before they send them out. of course, we all have misspellings, but every other word?? then half the time, you can't figure out what in the world they are trying to say. it takes 2 seconds to look over your message, and make corrections. 2) bad drivers who pull out in front of others, tailgate (I HATE TAILGATERS!!!), run red lights, etc. how hard is it to be careful when you drive? i don't like wire hangers, because i'm not the most tiddiest person around. i leave them on the floor, and then they get tangled around my feet. i try to walk around with my head raised so it will become a habit and i won't have to worry about doing it in ballet class. it's just one less thing i have to worry about. so since i'm not looking down when i'm walking, the hangers have a way of finding themselves around my feet, and then i trip on them. ARGGG!! (i know, i know, clean up after yourself and you won't have that problem, but i'm a certified slob. what can i say?)<P>athenacait, i really feel for you. i remember when i was a teen everyone thought i was much younger then i really was. it drove me up a wall when people treated me like i was 5!! but just remember, when you're 30 people will think you're 24. so hang in there!<BR>kim

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next