public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Critics - don't you love them?
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 6:02 am 

Clement Crisp doesn't know me, but we do say hello from time to time in theatre lobbies. I bought him a coffee once when he was staring anxiously at a long queue for drinks.<P>He is much more vitriolic in his views face to face!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 6:21 am 

and some of my personal favorites:<P><BR>Critic James Agate once congratulated actress Lilian Braithwaite for being London's second-best actress. She responded, saying that meant a lot to her, coming from London's second-best critic.<P>* W.S. Gilbert burst into an actor's dressing room after a horrible performance and said to the man, "My dear chap! GOOD isn't the word!"<P>* Critic Heywood Broun said of one Broadway show, "It opened at 8:40 sharp and closed at 10:40 dull."<P>* Alexander Woollcott's review of the play "Wham!" contained only one word: "Ouch!"<P>* George Kaufman reviewed a new comedy saying, "There was laughter at the back of the theatre, leading to the belief that someone was telling jokes back there."<P>

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 6:29 am 

Red Shoes--- I didnt' know Clement Crisp was a dance historian! Wow. What did he have to say about Carla Fracci?..I'm intrigued!<P>Another critic quote "It's easier to criticize that to do"....Doris Rudko (dance composition teacher)<P>That quote about "They never built a monument to a critic". I always heard that attributed to Martha Graham. Huh!! Obviously she appropriated it. Another Martha quote: "if you're going to steal, steal from the best".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 6:48 am 

Lots, Maggie. That comes of working for the school paper. I have a set of music quotes and opera stories that I was contemplating posting in a new thread, but they're <I>very</I> long and not dance related so I don't know if I should. <p>[This message has been edited by shazna (edited May 26, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 7:01 am 

Oh go on shazna! We're allowed to relax the rules a little here in 'Fun Stuff'.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 7:24 am 

Ahhh alright then. Under "Music Humour".

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 7:29 am 

I have a wonderful book by Clement Crisp and Mary Clarke "Ballet Art from the Renaissance to the Present", which I have enjoyed very much. <P>Red Shoes, I too, would like to know what he thought of Carla Fracci. I fell in love with her Giselle. I have an interview of her on tape, and she is just a delight in that interview.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 12:13 am 

About Fracci: I don't recall the exact words, and couldn't hope to scale the dizzy heights of vitriol of which Mr Crisp is capable, but I seem to recall the words "simpering", "damp rag", "twee" and "wet" coming into it.<BR>I don't guarantee the exact words, but you have the gist of his views on Carla Fracci: he simply couldn't stand her (to him) very overdone sweetness and girlyness. He used to roll his eyes into his head and groan and mimic her. He thought she was a bit of a wimp really.<BR>His idols at the time seemed to have been Seymour and Makarova, which seems reasonable enough to me! He liked people with a strong character. I got the impression that he knew Seymour quite well as a person, though I may be wrong.<BR>His lessons were fascinating, because while covering the history of dance he also managed to veer off in other directions at times. It was he who taught me that lettuce should always be torn, not cut (!), and also disclosed his recipe for good mayonese (before you ask, I don't remember).<BR>I think he saw us as a group of young plebs, as he was always telling us to profit from the fact that we were in London, and go and see as much dance as possible. We rarely did, in our callow youth: lack of funds and general exhaustion being the general excuse.<BR>He was right, of course: we should have been at the ballet more often, but what you realise at 45 doesn't look the same when you are 20.<P>We had him as a teacher because he was, I believe, archivist/librarian at the RAD HQ at the time, and probably got roped in to lecture us. I used to love his wit, which is why I enjoy reading anything he's written.<P>Unfortunately I am unable to watch Carla Fracci dance (and she is still clogging around in this part of the world) without thinking of his words. The one thing I do notice about her is that she appears to have absolutely enormous feet, though it may be an effect of the TV. She has also assumed a very ballerina-ish way of dressing: usually white and wafty, and rather Victorian, and more often than not with a long string of huge amber beads around her neck. Her hair is still jet black, and she is aging remarkably well. And she is still very girlish yet placid in her way of presenting herself. It's as if she is always in character: she never forgets she is a classical dancer.<p>[This message has been edited by Red Shoes (edited May 27, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 10:42 am 

If I may add another by Mrs. Parker - - - <P>"This is not a book to be set aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 4:39 pm 

More laughter! I just love that Dorothy Parker! Thanks, Wordfox.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 4:38 pm 

It was once said ABOUT her:<P>"She is a stiletto made of sugar." <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 5:40 am 

From the New York Times:<P><B>High Praise From a Fictitious Reviewer</B><P>By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS <BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>LOS ANGELES, June 3 — As a film critic, David Manning had been a consistent booster for films from Sony Pictures. The trouble is, David Manning does not exist.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/04/arts/04SONY.html" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 8:10 pm 

Isn't that just GREAT! I heard someone from Sony got fired over this little "booboo"!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 3:33 am 

In a giveaway London newspaper,Metro,there was recently a very glowing review of the Bolshoi Ballet. The critic was very taken with the "sexual allure" of the male dancer in the Don Quixote pas de deux - Alexander Gorsky. Sadly I missed the performance in question. How I would have loved to have experienced for myself the sexual allure of someone who by my reckoning has been dead for the past 70 odd years !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 4:09 am 

hmmm. there's a term for that.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next