public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Cure
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:51 pm 

one of my UMVD co=workers just played me the new cd by The Cure. It is so awesome. I love the entire thing. Ive decided to choreograph a dance to one of the album's songs to honor Robert Smith. I haven't picked the song yet, but listen to the CD and tell me which songs u think would be good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Cure
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:56 am 

What is UMVD?

Do you usually choreograph to rock music, or do you prefer a mix of genres?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:45 am 

Quote:
Originally posted by thecurerox:
one of my UMVD co=workers just played me the new cd by The Cure. It is so awesome. I love the entire thing. Ive decided to choreograph a dance to one of the album's songs to honor Robert Smith. I haven't picked the song yet, but listen to the CD and tell me which songs u think would be good.
Yes! We need MORE choreographies to rock music, especially "rock music" of the gothic variety! I mean, a lot of gothic waifs wear tutus for fashion, so why not bring in the girls who wear tutus for a living?!

As for which songs by the Cure... I'd pick their old sutff, not the new songs. The song "A Strange Day" IMO would make for a great pas de deux. Slow, atmospheric, romantic... what else do you need! Put aside your Dmitri Shostakovich/Philip Glass cds for a change and try this!

Personally, I'd go for a faster song, like "Boys Don't Cry". The title itself should be enough to inspire a kickass pas de howevermany between two or even more boys.

Tex.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:52 am 

Because of this topic I decided to put on my Cure songs when I got home. I realized that there is one song which IMO is choreographically even more useful than the other two I mentioned. This song is called Lament, and is IMO much better for "creating atmosphere" than Strange Day. Give it a try!

Tex.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:03 pm 

Argh. You stole my idea :)

There's already been some great dancing performed by the Cure. Robert in the bear suit in the "Why Can't I be You" video, Lol in "Let's go to Bed"... :D ). "Boys don't Cry" would be great but I think with just about everything Cure, you need dancers who can spin well.

I just saw them play a few weeks ago and I'm still reeling from the experience. I was about six rows back and felt like Robert was singing right to me. They are so much better live than on a recording. It actually made me think about my dancing a lot (I'm a ballet dancer). It's just so obvious when you're watching someone perform who's completely invested 200% in what they're doing. Robert Smith is one of my all time role models for how to behave as an artist.

I could go on and on and on and on about him ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:31 pm 

Just a general question for anyone - When you are choreographing, do you ususally pick out music first or work on movement first, then find music that fits?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:28 am 

Quote:
Originally posted by lampwick:
Argh. You stole my idea :)
Hey, I don't make choreographies! I pay to see the results of others who went through the hassle of making one! Feel free to use any ideas I express here if you like them!

Quote:

I could go on and on and on and on about him ;)
BTW, if you wonna read something really funny about the Cure's new album - this is after all the "fun stuff" section - you should check out

"The Return of the Cure" by Dr. David Thorpe.
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2216

I like the Cure ("Well, aside from the XXXX they’re doing now" as Dr. Thorpe would say), but this review had me ROTFLMAO. It's meant to be a parody of The Cure as much as it's meant to be a parody of rock criticism. I secretly wish Dr. David Thorpe would write such (fake) reviews about ballet companies (I know a few he could start on ;-)

Tex.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:44 am 

Quote:
I like the Cure
...But isn't it sometimes worse than The Disease?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:57 am 

For laughs, I did a google-search to see whether there was any band with that name, The Disease. There are lots of bands with the word disease in their name:

New Disease,
Sweet New Disease,
Second Disease
Fat Disease,
Faith & Disease,
The Cassandra Disease,
Cobains Disease,
Nuclear_Disease,
Legionaire's Disease Band,
Finnish death/thrash band Spirit Disease,
Swedish death metal band Terminal Spirit Disease,
Canadian black metal band Spread The Disease (acron: STD!)
punk rock band Mad Crowd Disease,
another punk band called Mad Kid Disease...
alternative rock band Mad Cow Disease

but I could not find a band that was simply called "The Disease", though I did find "Thy Disease".

Though (unfortunately) not a band name, one of the wildest finds was... Ballet's Disease!
http://www.whonamedit.com/synd.cfm/612.html.

Musicians apparently feel the need to specify the Disease, but not The Cure...

Tex.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]