public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rules for recitals
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 6:34 am 

Ours is next Saturday. I thought you all might enjoy these!<P>*The tap costumes must be hideous. Unless you're younger than 8, then they'ree adorable.<P>*You must cry at leasst once, whether it's because you're saying goodbye, or stress. Usually the latter.<P>*All teachers will yell<P>*All teachers will forget everyone's names.<P>*No matter how photogenic you are, your recital picture will look scary.<P>*If they're taping the performance, you will smile, and do your steps perfectly. Until the camera zooms in on you. Upon which you will frown, make a face, and mess up.<P>*Atleast 5 of the younger kids will spill something on thier costume.<P>*The week before, all you can think abotu is how much you wish it were over, but the night of the recital, you'll never want it to end.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rules for recitals
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:54 am 
This is FUNNY ATHENA!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:03 am 

Isn't that how it is! i just love that! but you forgot, if you have a bad dress rehearsal, you'll have a successful recital. i want to hear from some of you pros on how your recitals were when you were just green behind the ears. any takers? Besheva, Joanne, Red Shoes, anyone? thanks<BR>Kim

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 9:07 am 

here's another one.<P>*You won't remember that you need to alter your costume until 10 p.m. the night before picturesBy the way, I thought of these during a conversation with a fellow dancer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 9:38 am 

or like what happened to me, i LOST MY BALLET SHOES THE DAY OF THE PREFORMANCE!!! AHHHHH! i had to buy new ones that weren't broken it, and were extremely uncomfortable!! <BR>kim <BR>PS, i found my shoes AFTER the preformance. oh well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 10:31 am 

Here are my answers to questions I have had over the years about the recital:<P>Yes, your child does have to attend dress rehearsal.<P>No, I don’t dislike your daughter because she is in the yellow costume and her best friend is in pink.<P>So – you are saying that you child will miss the recital TOMORROW because she has to go to her Aunt Tilly’s birthday party that you just found out about?<P>No, your daughter can’t wear red fishnet tights with her pink tutu costume, we did discuss the necessity for pink ballet tights, about six months ago. <P>No, your daughter can’t wear black slippers for the recital – she needs pink ones, and yes I did tell you that six months ago, too.<P>Yes, you do have to get your daughter’s pony tail into a bun – remember I showed you how?<P>Please keep the costume of a hanger – I am not ironing backstage for 20 little girls.<P>No, I am not going to sew/make all the costumes.<P>No, I don’t dislike your daughter – she is not in the front line because she missed half the rehearsals.<P>Yes, you need blonde hairpins for blonde hair.<P>No, it isn’t polite or respectful to leave the theater once your darling has danced and you <BR>have no time to watch the other darlings dance.<P>No, you can't bring your daughter's lunch for her to eat while she is in her costume.<P>No, wearing her ballet slippers through the parking lot, in the rain, is not a good idea.<P>And lastly, please don’t give the ballet teacher a birthday card with those dancing pink Disney hippos in tutus – she already has hundreds of them. Thanks.<BR> <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 11:27 am 

Oh Besheva! i never thought of how it is on the teachers side. how did you ever keep from going insane? now i understand why my ballet director at my church always says, we'll do that whatever after the recital, and her husband saying-we're going on vacation after the recital. it seems life stops before recital, and thankfully begins after recital. LOL<BR>kim<P>------------------<BR>Great Dancers are not great dancers because of their technique: they are great dancers because fo their passion -- Martha Graham<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:33 pm 
YET FUNNY AGAIN BASHEVA!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 1:40 pm 

No, No, no my best one was a parent who swore blind to me two weeks before the show that she knew nothing about the show!?! The first letter I sent out about it was over a year before that date and they must have had at least six letters since then mentioning the show in some way - her child could not have missed all of them.<P>Also why did she think her child had been sent home with costumes!?!<P>Oh well - recitals are the best bit of being a teacher but also the closest I think I've ever come to a nervous breakdown. I know so much more for next time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 6:37 pm 

Thanks for bringing it up, Athenacait. Off the top:<P>No flash photos during the performance applies to everyone, and that would include YOU.<P>I know your daughter's tutu is blue, but no, she is not wearing blue tights to match. Ballet pink goes with everything.<P>Dress rehearsal is not a great time to inform your child's teacher that your child's costume doesn't fit. You've had the costume for two months!<P>I'm sure your child knows her part in the dance perfectly, but she still has to come to class to rehearse.<P>Thank you for letting me know you have a dinner reservation at 6:30, but no, we can't change the program order to accommodate you.<P>There is a good reason we tell you to take the little ones to the potty right before they go onstage...keep paper towels in the wings, too...<P>The child you target as the class leader might just fall apart onstage. The one who is off the walls or is in LaLaLand in class may well be your sparkler in performance.<P>No matter how well-prepared you are, something "unique" will happen on performance day.<P>Expect the unexpected, and you will be immensely satisfied.<P>If you are about to have a nervous breakdown, look at the students' faces and you'll remember what this is all about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 9:22 pm 

From our recent recital:<P>Someone will lose her gloves two minutes before she's supposed to go on stage. She will also have her tiara snap into two pieces at the same time. <P>Someone will scratch herself and wave to her mother when she gets onstage for the first time.<P>At least half of the young ones in the front row will forget what they are doing, at least twice. <P>It will take at least one girl about a hundred bobby pins to get her bangs to stay back.<P>The student violinist will show show up in shorts and a T-shirt. <P>And everyone will be super happy to be there!<P><BR>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 6:38 am 

...and then there is the mother who waves back from the audience....<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 1:32 pm 

Oh yes all of these things have happened LOL - Laugh now but at the time you really do feel like you are the one going insane but we still do it over and over again.<P>Yesterday some of my kids danced at a local fete and we had an exam presentation. One little girl danced a solo that she wouldn't have done two years ago when she first joined. She was quite nervous when she joined even though she had taken ballet before but she had been almost forced to perform in a show when she didn't want to - at the last minute she flatly refused. We took things slowly I asked her if she wanted to perform/take an exam and evry time the answer was yes and so it was yesterday that I asked if she would mind dancing on her own and the answer was again yes.<P>Then there is another girl who only started Freestyle in February and got the top mark for her exam last month and who again performed on her own at the presentation and just blew me away with her natural presentation - such stage presence.<P>These moments make it all worthwhile - to have two in one day is quite overwhelming.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 3:04 pm 

....and a credit to the teacher, Joanne.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 6:21 pm 

Congrats, Joanne! It does make it all worthwhile, doesn't it?<P>Another one: Count on a "baby" to pull up her dress onstage. Only this year we had the boy equivalent, a 3 year old boy who "adjusted his manhood" while front and center, waiting for his dance to begin. It brought the house down...<P>I like the student violinist showing up in formal attire. I'll store that for if we ever (I hope!) work our way up to live accompaniment.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]