public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sometimes I feel like a Pirouette
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:44 am 

Sometimes, for no reason at all, I feel like I have to do a pirouette .......it just comes along and I HAVE to do a pirouette. If I happen to be in the kitchen, it isn't so bad. It's while walking down the street that it's a bit more difficult. I have, however, learned not to do it while talking to the cat, it reinforces her questioning opinion of me.<P>Then, there are the arabesque days - I just feel an arabesque coming on. Pirouette and arabesque days are tough....people just don't understand someone who is talking to them about everyday things while standing in arabesque. It is also difficult to talk to someone about the state of the world while while that person is spotting a double pirouette.<P>The days the I HAVE to stand in B+ are a bit easier......one can carry on quite normally whilst standing that way. <P>Do you have days like this? <P>uh oh - I feel a double saut de basque coming on....in my dreams....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sometimes I feel like a Pirouette
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:21 am 

Quotation from one of my favourite books, "Ballet Shoes" by Noel Streatfeild:<P>London, England, 1920s or early 30s.<P>"She [Posy] was always dancing. Sometimes in the nursery, which did not matter, but sometimes in the road, which Nana did not approve of at all, and once on a tube station, which Pauline and Petrova thought frightful showing off...<P>"You are a show-off, Posy", Pauline said.<P>"It's not showing off, it's because I thought of something and I wanted to see if my feet would do it," Posy explained.<P>"You could wait until you get home, couldn't you?" Petrova grumbled...<P>"I might have forgotten," Posy argued. Then she danced again.<P>"That's enough, Posy," Nana said sharply. "Dancing on a railway station, indeed. We shall have people asking us where the organ-grinder is, for we seem to have got a monkey."<P>I think Posy was about six. I don't know whether it's worse or better if you're grown up!<P> <P>[This message has been edited by HelenB (edited August 10, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by HelenB (edited August 10, 2001).]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 9:58 am 

I have always said, " I feel a grand battement coming on, how about you?" It really works to break the ice in class. However outside the studio I usually feel like doing a penchee. Nothing like talking to your accountant in a penchee Tee hee!!!<BR>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 11:16 am 

Welcome to the board River - wonderful have you join us!!<P>Speaking to the accountant in a penché, could be a problem. Unless your accounts go up an down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:10 pm 

Today, for example:<P>On the beach. My husband starts to do sit-ups and stuff (yawn).<BR>So I teach him (with great difficulty) a back exercise. He can hardly do it (he he he Image).<BR>I show him how, and to my delight still find it easy, despite years of not doing it and several kilos di troppo Image ...Fortunately the beach wasn't crowded. How nice to be able to do something better than my very fit husband.<BR>The other day he was doing sit-ups at home, and I noted that he had inserted his feet under the sofa. So I told him he was cheating. And guess what? He couldn't do them without the feet being anchored.<BR>He also adds that he seriously doubts that I could either. Yet again I proved him wrong. The body, even when it's out of condition and overweght, evidently remembers how to work itself.<BR>It did my self-esteem quite a bit of good! Image <P>Going back to the original theme here: I like to do stretches when I'm in the sea: I'm not quite as loose as I was, but I haven't quite seized up yet... Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:38 pm 

When ever i walk across a parking lot, i just want to do a chasse, then a turn: chaines or pique. i don't do them out in public, because i usually have my heels on, plus how crazy, to see a woman do chasses then turns down the parking lot lol. but ohhh how i long to do them. i find my self standing in b+ alot, or in fifth position. then sometimes when i take a step, i gingerly place my foot firmly in front of me, before i begin. do any of you run into things because your head is up and your eyes are not down? man, i do! i've fallen off curbs before, triped over stones, sticks, cracks in the sidewalk! oh such is the life of a dancer. i've been out of class for two weeks now, and i feel like i'm going to just explode, i just want to dance soooo bad!!! but i'm going tomorrow morning!! i can't wait.<BR>kim <P>------------------<BR>Great Dancers are not great dancers because of their technique: they are great dancers because of their passion -- Martha Graham<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 3:59 pm 

What an excellent quote, I have never read that one from "Martha" very inspiring. Grand battement anyone? I hate that when that happens!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:23 pm 

I think my days are more port-de-bras and fondue, and then come the cambres...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:42 pm 

For those of you who may have seen the movie "Children of Theater Street" (and those of you who haven't should get that tape) - there is a wonderful scene in the beginning .....<P>The children from the Kirov ballet school are being taken for the day by their teachers to the beach. They are in play clothes and they are running joyously along the beach. And every once in a while, one of them sails up into a glorious grand jeté - straight bare legs, pointed bare feet. They literally float.<P>Such joy in their faces, such beauty in their bodies - already - and they are really just beginners at the ballet school.<P>Brings tears to my eyes to remember that marvelous scene.<P>so sometimes...I feel like a grand jeté ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 11:21 pm 

...And I come over all Isadora Duncan at places like Pompeii or the Roman Forum...the atmosphere is just too much.<P>Beautiful, beautiful places.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 10:12 am 

hmm.....I have days...they hit me with full force, but my quirkies are random...<P>Here's a funny thing...my team of girls get together before every performance and have a prayer in a circle. (that's not the funny part..)<P>When we stand in the circle we point our right toe into the middle of the circle and cross our right arm over left and hold pinkie fingers. (that's not the funny part either)<P>NOW (here's the funny part...like having a DAY...) whenever I'm standing around with them even just talking in the hallway or wherever..I can look down and bet that we are all standing with the right toe pointed to the center...and sure enough...we are.<P>B+ is another position I do a lot and you are right..I can carry on with most normal tasks that way without people wondering what's up.<P>It's when I start tapping whenever I have on my clunky shoes that people begin to stare!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 1:12 pm 

I find myself standing in fifth position A LOT - even when I don't know it.<P>If I go to a dress shop and try on a spiffy dress, but have clunky shoes on...I quickly step out of my shoes so I can see the dress in the mirror sans the clunky shoes.<P>And sure 'nough, when I look down the shoes are in 5th position. A fairly respectable 5th too.<P>Well, there was one day, I ran back into the dressing room, and left the shoes out there in the middle of the looking-in-the-mirror area, and when I came back out, there were several female sales clerks, staring down at my 5th position shoes, and laughing.<P>They used to take ballet class when they were kids, so they understood, COMPLETELY.<P>So, sometimes I feel like 5th position.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 10:51 am 

Red Shoes:<P>Please grant your husband the explanation (? - excuse) re: situps:<P>Physiologically, a woman's center of gravity is in the area of the hips; while a man's center of gravity is generally (hopefully) nearer to the shoulders and/or chest.<P>Weight distribution thus makes it easier for a woman to do a situp without the aid of counterbalancing weight on the feet.<P>This can sometimes be overcome by stretching the legs out fully in front to try and leverage the upper body weight; or by amputating various upper body appendages (arms, head, etc) to more equally balance the weight distribution.<P>Be kind - and let him know he was not a sit-up failure. (Now the back exercise - there you can gloat!)<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:30 pm 

I disagree with Wordfox, Red Shoes, husbands don't get to use excuses AT ALL! NEVER!!<P>Don't tell him about the difference in gender specfic weight distributions and deny it's existence if he mentions it.<P>But if he insists place a pot of pasta on his ankles and see if that helps. If not, then he can always eat the pasta.<P>I always feel like a plate of pasta, especially after I feel like a pirouette.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:31 pm 

Oh yes....gloating is good.<P>How does that saying go? A woman doesn't sweat, she gloats.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next