public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: vacations
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:43 am 

Hello, how are you all?<P>This summer my grandma took my siblings and me to Europe. We went to London, Paris, and Amsterdam. I really wanted to go to the ballet while I was there, but there wasn't the opportunity. In Paris, though, my hotel was next door to the Cemetiere Montmartre, where Marie Taglioni was buried. There was a flower wreath on her grave, with a pair of pointe shoes wrapped up and placed in the middle. It made me want to dance -- I am still here, still with time to dance, while she is not able to anymore. <P>Has anyone else had the chance to go on vacation, or "on holiday"? Does anyone have any stories to tell? Image

Post subject: Re: vacations
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:41 pm 

Hello Katheryn - it's good to see you again. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. What a terrific thing to share about Maria Taglioni - nice that people still honor her!<P>I am going on vacation in September. I used to go on three trips/vacations a year and travelled quite a bit, but these last few years I don't feel the need to travel much anymore.<P> Anyway, in Sept. we are going away to our very favorite place - Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. It's a very mystical and beautiful place; filled with the spirits of the people who used to live in that area. And the two thousand year old trees under which those people sat, are still there, still alive, still watching us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:03 am 

Basheva (and others) have you ever been to the Canadian Maritime provinces? While the ballet is far from NYC caliber, the traditional folk dancing as well as some very strong tap and step dancing is part of the culture. <P>There is a huge following of Highland and Irish dancing, as well as clogging and tap. You will find jazz, lyrical, modern, and ballet in the studios... but outside; in the streets, on the lawn of the Governer's mansion, at festivals, on stages set up in parks... you can discover Balkan folk dance, Cajun dance, contra dance, English country dance, Israeli dance, Morris dance, Micmac and Maliseet ritual dance, Scottish country dance, swing dance, Zydeco dance and many other forms of traditional and ethnic dance. <P>It's an interesting place. I sound like a TV commercial, but I'm an Atlantic girl at heart and I wouldn't have it any other way.<P><A HREF="http://travel.excite.com/show/?loc=4983" TARGET=_blank>The Maritime Provinces</A>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:09 am 

Sarah - I have not been there, no, but it does sound like a lot of fun.<P>I have been to the Pacific end of Canada and through the Canadian Rockies and that included the Banff festival - which was great. I saw quite a bit of Balanchine there. <P>Being originally from Philadelphia, I have been to the East Coast of the US quite a bit - up and down the coast from Maine to Florida. Same for the West Coast. <P>Folk dance is always great - and lots of fun, I agree with you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 7:48 am 

The problem with this thread is that I am suddenly longing to be in all of these places right now. <sigh> Instead, I must go out and get a job. But the good thing about a job is the resulting monetary freedom that allows one to go visit such places. <P>I've never been to Sequoia or Kings Canyon Nat'l Parks, but I've been to the Redwoods -- I'm assuming it is similar? My favorite tree place is Mt. Rainier National Park in Washington State. The smell is heavenly just by itself, without even having to open up one's eyes. Hmm... suddenly I am seized with the desire to be a park ranger and live there all summer. Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:11 am 

There is a difference between the Coastal Redwoods and the Giant Sequoia Trees in Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks.<P>The Coastal Redwoods are the tallest trees on earth, as I understand it. The Sequoias are the largest (height and diameter) and the oldest - some are over 2000 years old. The forest in the Sierra Nevadas is an old growth forest - also and "open" forest. Even the other pines and firs are immense.<P> The forest outside of Grand Canyon is a pygmy forest. The forest of Yellowstone, for instance is much denser than the open forest. The open forest is much easier to walk through. We are talking undergrowth, here.<P>I have gone to Sequoia/King's Canyon National Parks for over 35 yrs - at least once and sometimes twice a year. King's Canyon was John Muir's favorite canyon of all and it is quite spectacular - very different from the Grand Canyon. John Muir also thought that Crescent Meadow (in Sequoia Nat'l Park) was the most lovely - and I agree with that. It is at the start of the trail up to Mt. Whitney - the tallest peak in the continental US, 14,000 ft. <P>I have been to Mt. Ranier and really loved it. Very, very beautiful. But then, there is Glacier in Montana, Glacier Bay in Alaska, not to mention Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Zion, Bryce, Mesa Verde (Colorado), Canyonlands and Arches (Utah) - all of which I have been fortunate enough to have visited - some several times.<P>The Rockies in Canada are magnificant too - Lake Louise, the glaciers - Banff. <P>Well, actually, I loved it all!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:57 pm 
I'm going to Talequah Oklahoma this Labor Day weekend,to enjoy the Cherokke Nation Holiday-LOTS OF POWWOW dancing-I'm going to meet actor WES STUDI w/some friends.Will keep yous posted!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]