public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Arthur Mitchell on TV last night
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 11:41 am 

Did anyone see the 20/20 (or Dateline ... whatever) on Mitchell last night? I was flipping channels just a Mr. Mitchell gave a last little quote. My wife and I work with a scholarship program here in Miami that has been sending kids up there for the summer program for the past 5 - 6 years and am kicking myself for missing it.<P>We have had some real success stories and much of it is directly b/c of Mr. Mitchell and DTH. One young woman and man are still with the company, one guy was with them for a couple of years and just started SUNY Purchase on scholarship and another is perform the lead in Rubies THIS weekend with Carolina Ballet. (The kid is 19! We are really proud of him (Chris Rudd) and my wife is flying up for support)<P>More "non-dance" types and dance snobs alike really need to see the difference dance can make in peoples lives, regardless of whether these kids can dance cleanly or not!<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Arthur Mitchell on TV last night
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 1:40 pm 

I am dissappointed to have missed this clip. I always watch these news shows, except last night! I wish there were even more reports about dance though, but I guess there isn't enough drama in our lives as to be cast for national television all that often. I guess the only way to get on 20/20 is to die of anorexia or something. I am actually surprised they did this for Mr. Mitchell and I am so proud of the difference he is making in kid's lives.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 3:15 pm 

Does anyone know of a resource that lists dance events on TV?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 11:24 pm 

Hmm, I'm afraid I'm at a lost there. It's usually hit or miss with me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 4:47 pm 

I saw part of it. It was mostly about Mitchell's struggle to develop the group into a success. At a time when there were no black ballet dancers, Balanchine took him on. After Mitchell established that black dancers could perform ballet, he went on to establish his company. The program also looked at his influence on his dancers. He is apparently a hard task master with his students and company members, striving for perfection. Although Mitchell could have moved the studio to a better section of the city, he has chosen to stay in Harlem to be a positive influence on the community. He is 61, and looks like he's no older than 50.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 1999 5:42 pm 

Doesn't he look fantastic!<P>Did they go into the strike or the other union problems? He has seem to rise from the ashes in the past couple of years. He still attracts very good dancers of colour.<P>He has a couple of former SFB dancers: Duncan and Maria. Does anyone know their last names. Maximum danced on a really great program last spring on a set up stage on the beach and we took some DTH folks out on South Beach. How would you like to be the sole non-dancer (and a lawyer to boot) clubbing with a/t 15 dancers? Humbling is not the word.<p>[This message has been edited by shag (edited 10-31-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 6:19 pm 

The program only touched on the strike. Mitchell was crushed because he feels very paternal toward his dancers, and he felt that his children were rebelling against him. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 6:20 am 

Mitchell is 67 today (3/27/01).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 7:16 am 

Arthur Mitchell's story is one of the most inspiring I have ever read. He detailed in a book I read that he was on his way to the airport in New York to catch a flight to South America (I forget which country) when the news report came over the radio that Dr. Martin L. King had been killed. Mitchell suddenly realized that he had a mission to fulfill here in the United States and he had the cab driver turn right around...and the rest is history.<P>As great deal of credit also has to be given to George Balanchine for supporting Mitchell's hopes, dreams and efforts. Dance Theater of Harlem is one of my favorite companies. I have always enjoyed watching them dance. <P>I am sorry that I missed him on television. But, then, for the most part I have given up on television.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 3:41 pm 

Shag I like your bit about "dance snobs and non dance types"..I can really appreciate that being in dance therapy and having danced professionally. Thanks for sharing..I'm sad I missed the Mitchell bit on 20/20. I really appreciate what you and your wife are doing! Because of people like you, I was able to study dance at schools I never could have afforded otherwise and to overcome some difficult times in my life thanks to ballet class. It's amazing what changes can arise in a disturbed child or one who has difficult stuff going on at home when they have a ballet class to go off to several times a week, it give them something to look forward to, something to help them forget their troubles and something to get them out of the house!. So I Thank you! Image and Keep up the Great Work!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]