public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: BARRES - Whimsical and Otherwise
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 4:02 pm 

Through the years I have given myself a barre (when the studio has been closed and/or I am on vacation) in some mighty different places - have you done this?<P>On the northern edge of San Diego is La Jolla. Along the beaches and cliffs there is a sea wall that partially encloses a cove. The seawall is several feet wide with a metal hand rail on the ocean side of the sea wall. The waves are quite large at that place - crashing all along the sea wall and sometimes a bit over it. <P>One day as I was walking there, I saw a dancer I knew well from class. She was giving herself a barre holding onto the hand rail. It was very inconvenient for those trying to walk past her - but no one was angry. People either ignored her or seemed amused. It was certainly a magnificent setting for a ballet barre. She didn't have any music - she didn't need any. <P>Have you given yourself a barre in a "different place"? Doesn't have to be someplace exotic - could even be a front porch on a hot summer night. With the fireflies for accompanyment. A hotel room? A workout gym?<P>Is there someplace you would like to give yourself a barre? The paths overlooking the Grand Canyon? A cabin in the woods?<P>What settings have you used?<P>And what setting would you like to use?<P> <P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BARRES - Whimsical and Otherwise
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:22 pm 

Well, my first husband was a recording artist, and toured a couple of times a year. I would go with him, and I was still dancing at the time. I would give myself a barre wherever I could, and in some instances, would take class in some of the cities we visited. Contrary to what one might think, sometimes backstage at a concert could get a bit boring and start feeling the same from city to city. Occasionally I would bring my stuff during a sound check and give myself a barre at the side of the stage, or backstage. The hotel was never condusive to this, so that's why I would use the venue. Plus, the music and activity was somehow inspiring. It was a way to keep myself in shape and justify travelling with my husband since I wasn't home to take classes. However, the locations and situations were quite unorthodox considering.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 7:43 am 

The *******, the halls at school, the movie theatre, the edge of the stage, by any given chair, the bathroom(it has a long mirror), outside of school waiting to go home, at my friend's house at the window... I start doing barre anywhere! I'm so obsessed! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 12:25 pm 

One year I was on a vacation for three weeks going all through New England down to Pennsylvania. It was a beautiful trip. At the conclusion I had scheduled a modest performance for a school (I knew one of the teachers) in a depressed economic area and most of these children had never seen ballet.<P>Well, of course that wouldn't be possible without being in ballet class for three weeks. So, therefore, I really had to give myself a full ballet class everyday - and even then keep my performance program modest. My friend and I thought it was better to do this - for the children - than not to do it.<P>So, everyday in whatever hotel we found ourselves we moved the furniture in the room to give me the necessary space. I am here to tell you that even in some of the most expensive hotels - with major names - it's none too clean under those beds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 12:20 pm 

I just found this picture of me practicing on board ship - I believe it was the Sun Viking and the ship is docked at the island of Grenada. The ship was a great place to do this as the deck was wood and so was the barre. <P>This picture was snapped (it was unposed, unfortunately!!) by the ship's photographer. Later I was asked to perform for the passengers and I wrote about that and the miraculous teacher and pair of shoes I found in - "The Teacher and the Shoe".<P> Image <p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited July 22, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 1:19 pm 

What a beautiful picture! It looks like something you see in travel brochures.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 4:10 pm 

I love it, Basheva! <P>Work-out rooms in hotels are fun. People are sweating away on treadmills and looking at you like you are crazy. Water barre in the pool is cool, too. Hotel rooms many times. On the boardwalk at the beach, just past sunrise. On the subway in New York. On a trail in Yosemite, although finally nature won out there, and I just sat with my feet in a mountain stream enjoying the majesty of it all. In a friend's garage; she was a sculptor and she came in to watch. Later we got a sculpture of a dancer from her for a wedding gift.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 4:44 pm 

Nancy - on the subway? LOL 'splain please....<P>I love to work out in a hotel workout room or gym - and listen to everyone else grunting and drinking water every minute and a half. While I am not allowed to grunt.....just smile.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 5:48 am 

Oooh, I love that picture, Basheva! Reminds me of one in a book I have about Margot Fonteyn - she was practicing on board ship also. My own nonstandard barres have not usually been in such romantic locations, however. Various hotel rooms, stairwells, swimming pools, etc. I do enjoy trying to balance on one leg while riding the elevator. Does that count as creative? :-)<BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 6:28 am 

Both creative and skillful, Sissonne. <P>The subway has these poles. While standing as the train is moving, they provided excellent support for balance and turn-out exercises. Never did a full barre on the subway... I do remember a discussion on pirouettes en subway with one of my dancer friends. She was explaining the lift of the knee in passe, and we passe'd away on the A Train. <P>I used to choreograph while sitting on the subway. With my hands marking out the steps, people probably thought I was nuts and kept their distance. A good defensive tactic in New York?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 6:28 pm 

I didn't think there would ever be enough room on the subway - all the ones I was ever on in Philadelphia were crowded.<P>I wonder if you do a barre on the elevated, your leg is higher? just kidding.<P>I have given myself dozens of barres in Sequoia National Park (we went there almost every year for 35 yrs.)- taught class there too. I was giving myself a barre one day, when several of the women who worked in the restaurants and housekeeping said they were dance majors in college and would I consider teaching ballet class? <P>It was a very interesting experience. And very enjoyable. A real bus-man's holiday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:59 am 

ok - we are not alone...I just came back from the lake where I ride my bike and there was a lady walking along, reading from a script and practicing her lines.<P>Full out....shouting, angry, pleading...whatever she needed to do!!<P>It also reminded me of a documentary I saw once on an opera singer (male) who was studying in Philadelphia and he would practice his scales whenever a train came into the subway station and that would drown out his voice so other people couldn't hear him.<P>If I remember correctly it was the 30-32nd street station ...which I know very well.<P>So, it's not just us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:37 am 

Barre - in a hotel hallway in Bucharest, Romania (the rooms were too small to move furniture anywhere).<P>BUT, I do have a vivid recollection of re-blocking a ballet for a smaller cast - in an airline waiting area. Drew some smiles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 12:50 pm 

Welcome back Wordfox - I should have guessed you would do something like that in Romania.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]