public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why some people can't dance
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:48 am 

They've found an answer but alas, Stuart, not a cure Image :<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Two Left Feet? Blame Your Cerebellum<BR> <BR>Serena Gordon, HealthScoutNews Reporter <P>THURSDAY, June 13 (HealthScoutNews) -- If you've ever wondered what sets prima ballerinas apart from everyone else, researchers from the University of Minnesota may have an answer for you -- the cerebellum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/hsn/20020614/hl_hsn/two_left_feet__blame_your_cerebellum target=_blank>More</a>, in Yahoo! News

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Why some people can't dance
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:20 am 

What is outside the scope of this study is, whether someone with a less-well-developed cerebellum can LEARN to move well, either through enhanced action in the cerebellum, or through compensation from other parts of the brain.<P>My own experience suggests that this is ENTIRELY possible, with effort.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:25 am 

Chicago neurologist Harold Klawans was a leader in the field of movement disorders as well as the author of several layperson's books on neurology. In <I>Strange Behaviors</I> he addressed the way the human brain develops shortly after birth and suggests that certain functions (language and music are two that come to mind) must be "selected" before puberty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:33 am 

Salzberg, that's a book I'm going to go find and add to my "movement therapy" library. It sounds quite interesting.<P>Citibob, I will agree with you totally.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:49 am 

Frankly, I don't think there is a person on earth who can teach me to dance (or sing). I agree talent must be trained but there has to be something to train. Some of us were just born with no grace, no rhythm, no balance and defective eyesight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:12 am 

I had an adult student once, who was very bright - he had a doctorate in philosophy and was an ordained minister. He was an extremely interesting man, very engaging to converse with, and altogether very intellectually impressive.<P>He had already taken ballet class for many years when he came to my class. The first thing he told me was that he was smitten with the ballet, but even after years of trying couldn't dance a step, and could never figure out his left side from his right side. <P> He realized that he had a 'problem' and tried not to get in the way of others as they moved across the floor. He also went out of his way to let me know (as he had other teachers before me) that the 'fault' was his - not the teacher's.<P>The interesting thing was that - other than dance - he moved very well. He walked smoothly and took on obstacles, like stairs, etc., without hesitation. <P>When I said a word like 'glissade' he knew what it meant and even what it looked like when others did it, but could not connect that to what he should do to accomplish a glissade - though he had encountered that step hundreds of times before in years of taking ballet class.<P>I should have asked him about any experiences he might have had in sports, but at the time didn't want to pry. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:06 am 

Dance poll puts Posh top of the flops
From itv.com

Victoria Beckham has been crowned the worst dancer in pop, according to a new poll.

She joins fellow Spice Girls Emma Bunton in third place and Geri Halliwell, voted the third worst pop dancer.

Girls Aloud - Nadine Coyle, Cheryl Tweedy, Sarah Harding, Kimberley Walsh and Nicola Roberts - came fourth.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:25 am 

I'm proud to say that I have no idea who any of those people are.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:02 am 

I understand that Victoria Beckham and some of the others were once members of a popular music ensemble, called The Spice Young Ladies. I believe that Victoria is now married to a gentleman engaged in sporting endeavours. Does anyone have any other information regarding this individual?

<small>[ 03 August 2004, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:50 am 

"60 Minutes," a documentary news T.V. show in the U.S. had a segment the other night on Williams Syndrome. Those who have it are consummate musicians and have unusually cheerful personalities, but cannot distinguish left from right or add 4 plus 5. Some are witty lyricists, composers "by ear," and one woman is an opera singer who can sing in 30 languages, a clear demonstration of brain compartmentalization, showing that the terms "intelligent" (and its opposite) have less and less meaning, the more we learn about how the brain functions. I, for one, have lost all memory of when to use the comma...and worse, when not to... :eek:

<small>[ 04 August 2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Toba Singer ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:57 am 

Oh, Stuart... Victoria Beckham, aka Posh Spice, was part of the Spice Girls, a bubblegum-type girl power pop group that was successful in Europe and the US in the mid-late 90's. She's married to David Beckham, the British soccer (or football, if you prefer) star.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:39 am 

Well I never RaHir. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:37 pm 

Doesn't he bend things, like Uri Geller?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:51 pm 

Bend things? Like light, for example? Probably true in his case. As we know all too well, the sun never sets on the British Empire.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]