CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: To Dance, or Not to Dance... there is no question!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:07 pm 

I was asked today by a classmate in my physiology class why I dance. I told him without hesitation that I have no choice in the matter; I simply have to dance. It did get me thinking, though. Why do we dance? Is it our passion? Perhaps because we are expected to or need something to do? Why do you dance, and what would your answer be to this question from a non-dancer?
-Zoe :)

Post subject: Re: To Dance, or Not to Dance... there is no question!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:52 pm 

When asked a similar question about jazz, Louis Armstrong is said to have replied something like (paraphrased) "If you have to ask, you'll never understand." For those of us who dance, or have danced, or have tried to or wanted to dance, I think it's a lot of things, including the love of and internalizing of the music, the way the movement actually feels good once you get it right, the ideal of the human body and spirit taken to a heightened level, the challenge, the romance, the teamwork with other like-minded and talented dancers and musicians, the indescribable exhileration that can come during a performance when it's working right, and a thousand other things that a person with no interest in or feeling for dance probably could not understand. Except for a handful of superstars, sure as hell nobody does it for the money.

<small>[ 11-01-2002, 23:13: Message edited by: Liscarkat ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:54 pm 

I had a teacher once who said:

Quote:
There's dance - and all else is typing.
It made sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:17 pm 

It makes perfect sense. Sometimes I feel like all that matters is the arts. There are other things we have to have, like typing, but they all exist merely to keep us going so we can express ourselves artistically or appreciate the artistic expressions of others. If the arts ceased to exist, we'd just be grubbing around to feed and shelter ourselves, like animals.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:20 pm 

Hey, what's wrong with typing?!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:37 pm 

Sorry djb--I didn't know you do word processing--no offence meant. O.k., I like typing, and I'm one of the rare guys who actually uses all my fingers. Leroy Anderson composed a cute little pops piece in the 1930s called "The Typewriter" that actually simulates the sound of typing on a manual machine, carriage return bell and all.

On the topic--what is difficult is to still "have to" dance but not be able to for one reason or another and know you never will again.

<small>[ 11-06-2002, 18:43: Message edited by: Liscarkat ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:37 pm 

Liscarkat, ain't it the truth! I guess that's why I've poured all my need to express myself into typing legal documents. ;)

Have you seen SFB perform Mark Morris's Sandpaper Ballet? The opening section is choreographed to The Typewriter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:33 pm 

Liscarkat - as I am one that fits the description of 'have to dance,' but for one reason or another (age) won't ever perform again, I take solace in the following facts.

I found something in my life that carried me through 30 years of joy - sometimes tearful joy, but nonetheless joy. Because it came relatively late I treasured it all the more. I still have my pictures (two very large ones up on a wall), tapes, programs, old shoes, pressed flowers, cards and memories. Some memories I can touch and some memories carefully stored in the bottles of my mind.

And in addition, as a teacher, I still hear from my students, many are still dancing, and in many other cases their children are dancing. I was given the blessing of a chance to throw a few pebbles in the pool, the ripples spread out, touched other ripples and I will probably never know how far from the original shore they will go. But, go they will.

And now, though I still take class, that I don't perform, I can even so share in this medium and in other niches in my daily life, that experience with a very special community of like lovers of dance. It's a club, a club of lovers.

But, in the half-buried recesses in my mind, I know that the next time I unpack my dance bag, it will be the last time.

How many other people have been so fortunate?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:29 pm 

I agree Basheva. I am sure that some of you have heard this poem before by Lo Ethridge:

Quote:
TO DANCE
To Dance is to Live and
To Live is to Dance;
It is full of beauty, thrills and romance.
I pity the poor soul, who never grasps the chance.
To Live a Million years,
In a moment of a Dance.
Also, djb, dance and typing do have one very important thing in common, both require the establishment of nerve muscle development. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:48 am 

I dance because it's fun, it's tough, and i don't like most other sports especially ball games, i can't play balls. Also, to push the limits of the human body.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:22 pm 

I dance because I'm pretty much awful at everything else athletic I've ever tried. :p

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]