public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Things to Do with Bits and Pieces.....
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2001 7:15 am 

I thought it might be interesting to share some of the things we have all learned to do with the bits and pieces of leftovers (not food!) that we have around the house - as dancers - and just because.<P>For instance, for those who may not have done this, take an old pair of tights and cut out the crotch and cut off the foot thingies. Now put it on by putting your head through the crotch area (this is strange the first time - but you'll get used to it - lol) and your hands through the legs.<P>This is will give a very light, warm top to wear under a tank top leotard on a cool day. This is interesting to do with different colored tights, too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Things to Do with Bits and Pieces.....
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2001 7:20 am 

For those who enjoy knitting......<P>I have been using the scads of yarn I have around the house (mostly baby weight yarn) to make caps for infants, which I then donate to the local hospitals for the maternity sections.<P>The pattern is extremely simple.....and it uses up that yarn lying around the house and puts it to good purpose. If you are interested in the instructions (I promise, it's sooooooooooo simple even I can do it), post in your request and I will put it up.<P>I also like to make ankle/instep warmies for dance class. If you want that instruction - type in your request.<P>If you need instructions for darning pointe shoes .......let me know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2001 8:01 am 

I definitely think a darning pointe shoes instruction guide would be very useful Basheva.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2001 9:08 am 

Darning pointe shoes is a very old and very traditional thing to do. I always did mine - well - just because, I guess. Actually it kept the satin from fraying and gave me more traction.<P>I always used three strands of embroidery thread - the correct color pink. Find an embroidery needle with a long eye, but not too thick of a needle.<P>Do running stitches around the entire edge of the shoe platform - outline it. Then do backstitches through the satin and some of the stiff stuff underneath. I did these stitches running from the front of the platform to the back within the space you have outlined. Don't make the stitches too long. Fill in the space you have outlined with these running back stitches. When the space is pretty well filled in (you don't have to get EVERY SINGLE bit of satin covered), then do cross stitches X on top of the running stitches.<P>Be sure to use a thimble on your middle finger to help push the needle through.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2001 8:59 pm 

But if you just chop the satin off the ends of your shoes with scissors you can always recycle them into the most charming little...ok, ok, I admit to being way too lazy to ever darn anything--let alone pointe shoes. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 5:22 am 

Huh? We always glue a piece of leather on the top of the shoe, that's less work and it works very well!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 5:50 am 

You can also cut the arms off of an old sweater and use them as leg warmers.<P>Darning the shoes is a very traditional thing to do. It does take some time - once you get used to it takes about 15 minutes per shoe. The threads also "soak up" the rosin - which helps too. <P>Hey, some of us like doing things the hard way !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 4:41 pm 

oh, the reminds me, i have to stop my ribbons from fraying. should i sew the ends in or use the burning method? i can sew the ends myself, but if i use the burning method, i have to get someone else cos i'm scared i'l burn my house down Image

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 5:44 pm 

Pearl, I wouldn't recommend the burning method. Just take a scissors and cut a slant like this: / across the end of the ribbon and it will keep it from fraying very much at all. If it frays a little bit, you can cut it a little more slanted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 9:38 pm 

Mine just don't fray, I've a deal with them: they don't fray, i don't burn them LOL Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 1:19 am 

thanks, Basheva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 12:32 pm 

Today I used a drawstring from an old pair of ballet slippers to tie my license plate onto my car, and I thought of this thread. (One of the screws broke, so string seemed to be the best alternative.) Those drawstrings are really sturdy, useful for all sorts of random tasks. <BR>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:27 pm 

What a great idea, Katheryn....I once used a pencil to hold open the carburetor on an old car - a VERY old car. And I have fixed a great many things with hairpins.<P>I am still knitting baby caps from pieces of yarn.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]