public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: And Ballet is easy???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 7:59 am 

ok guys, you have to check this out. i found it real funny Image. i found this on a martial arts forum E-budo.com - its like this one, only martial arts. here is a quote from one of the discussions:<P>Registered: May 2000<BR>Location: California<BR>Posts: 1899<BR> Hmmm.. <BR>I get punched, slammed, cut, hit with wooden weapons, choked, thrown etc..etc..So I think I am going to sue the Bujinkan I think some people should take up ballet (Yeah, like ballet is sooo easy!!- my comment.) if they can't take it. I mean, martial arts means, 'arts of war' named after Mars the god of war. What did she expect? I don't think this Kim guy is at fault, I just think she was being a big girl.<P>I just laughed my head off when i read this. i think of all the times when i've pulled muscles, come home with bruises, almost sprained my ankle, ect. my teacher broke his toe when the girl he was dancing with stepped on it with her pointe shoes. i know some of you pros have more injury stories. LOLOLOL<P>Kim <P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: And Ballet is easy???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 10:29 am 

Let's invite them over for a class...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 11:16 am 

they wouldn't make it 5 minutes in my class. when i leave, my feet and throbbing, and i'm not in pointe. ouch. <BR>Kim <P>------------------<BR>Great Dancers are not great dancers because of their technique: they are great dancers because fo their passion -- Martha Graham<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:29 pm 

A few of us, Red Shoes, Nancy, Trina, Pas, Joanne, Katheryn, me, and several others could, I am sure, come up with a ballet class that would not soon be forgotten.<P>What could we design? Let's go at it.......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 10:49 pm 

I think that this class ought to include the infamous penchee stretch as part of stretching at the bar. That should be enough to give any karate student back spasms. Image Let's see:<P>Face croise into the barre. On the preparation, tendu derriere with the inside leg. (The following counts are pretty slow.)<P>1: Raise your leg to your best arabesque.<BR>2-4: Hold, pinching your back.<BR>5-8: Penchee, fighting, fighting, pinching your back, pressing your leg up to the ceiling.<P>1-8: Release your back, grab your ankle and press your nose to the knee of the standing leg, stretching the other leg up to the ceiling.<P>1-4: Leave leg up at the ceiling, and return to the pinched penchee position.<BR>5-8: Try to leave your leg up as you slowly bring your back up to a normal arabesque posture.<P>1-8: Hold the arabesque and balance flat footed for the entire 8 counts-- no relaxing into the position! Keep fighting!.<P>Then repeat to the other side. And if you have a devilishly inspired teacher, you might have to do it twice. Except then the counts are usually a little faster. <P>(Anyway, this one gets me every time!)<P><BR>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 12:18 am 

You teachers are quite mean! Ia had to do EXACTLY this exercize past wednesday... And today, perhaps........<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 3:57 am 

How about...grande rond de jambe. The way dancers do it, not that roundhouse kick thing that martial arts people do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:50 am 

how about those pirouettes in fifth position, using the back leg as the standing leg. it took me 1 year just to turn one time. i showed the post to a ballet friend of mine who has studied martial arts, and she said by far ballet is harder. <BR>kim<BR><P>------------------<BR>Great Dancers are not great dancers because of their technique: they are great dancers because fo their passion -- Martha Graham<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:58 am 

Good idea, Maggie....let's see...<P>Left hand on the barre, fifth position, right foot in front:<P>slowly raise leg to the front, rond to second en l'air, then 8 rond de jambe en l'air, ending in second position en l'air, continue on to arabesque, lower to fifth - now reverse.<P>do again only this time plié as leg is raised to the front and relevé sur la pointe as leg comes to second, do all the rond de jambe en l'air on pointe with doubles, continue on the arabesque, come down to fifth. Reverse all.<P>Now do the rond de jambes en l'air with three fouettés, the first fouetté ends in devant attitude, come back to retiré and do the second one - which ends a la seconde, come back to retiré and end the third one attitude derriere. Close fifth and reverse.<P>UGH.....wait a minute!! I am going to ballet class at 10 this morning...and will probably be doing this...so maybe I should just keep typing instead...what a great idea!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:03 am 

Oh yeah i love this thread, what about developpés en croix? BUT... Not just en croix, that would be too easy. Instead of closing the developpé leg, make a passé to the next developpé. Maybe twice en croix would be even better? Oh, forgot to say, do this as part of an adagio in the centre, and after each developpé derrière an en bas (to penché). Oh wait, even better, do it not only en croix but to all directions, including the écartés.... gna, gna...<P> Image<P>------------------<BR>The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything...<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 7:27 am 

Good one Anastasia!!<P>ok - let's get serious here.....grand battement:<P>One front, one side, one back, one side - <P>oh - forgot to say - 8 times en croix, <P>oh yes, - in the center<P>and - on pointe<P>even more fun - with épaulement<P>and - no bobbles or you have to start over<P>and, yes, I did have a teacher who gave these regularly. <P>ack

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 8:25 am 

.....Wait! Wait! Basheva and Anastasia, they're still trying to get fifth position!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 8:43 am 

Oh Maggie, for one time they're allowed to do it in 3rd, as long as they actually DO it... LOL<P> Image<P>------------------<BR>The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything...<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:57 pm 

Anastasia is merciful - I am not. <P>Tight fifths for everything. Yes, indeedy. And no grunting either. Much to much grunting in martial arts and gyms as a whole. They have to do all the stuff we do and <B>SMILE</B>.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 11:06 am 

Hey, and the funniest thing is, that before they are even ALLOWED to do this, they may think of it as a reward LOL, they have to struggle trough barre! What will that include? Come on you all teachers out there, just let you fantasy do the work.... <P> Image<P>------------------<BR>The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything...<P>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next