CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Cooking for Thanksgiving?Or just eating?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:22 am 

Rennie, here's from the Official Ramen Home Page:

Quote:
Ramen (rah-men): A noodle phenomenon. Ramen has become the accepted standard college snack/meal food of choice. Whether you are tired of cafeteria food, or you need a quick snack, Ramen is the perfect food. It is cheap, easy to make, and it tastes good.
<a href=http://mattfischer.com/ramen/ target=_blank>More</a>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:53 am 

Rennie, thanks for your family's tongue recipe. I'm adding that to my list of recipes to try in the intersession. Also, do send the secret on "George Washington aces" when you can.

However, one can't let this pass by

Quote:
What's Ramen?
One doesn't know whether to smile or cry, what? Its the 1990s version of "bachelor" food--genre which also includes spaghetti, mac'n'cheese, and Lipton's noodle soup.

But, taking Azlan's lead as a ramen-o-phile ... though its not quite in the spirit of this thread (holiday home cooking), for the benefit of southern California CD friends I feel I might put in a plug for my parent's favorite Nagasaki style noodle restaurant, Ebisu, which is on Brookhurst a few short miles south of the 405 (San Diego) freeway in Fountain Valley. They have many kinds of ramen (and other noodle dishes as well...soba, etc). When my parents visit, sometimes they have me drive them there straight from the airport.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:51 pm 

Azlan, as soon as I saw the word “noodle” the image of Ramen surfaced from the farthest recesses of my mind where I had evidently buried it after encountering it ten years ago, when, as a volunteer whale researcher in the Bay of Fundy, I had the biggest culture shock in my life when found my US colleagues eating these pre-boiled (?) noodles. It didn’t go on for long. As an Italian who cooked, I was willy-nilly (more willy than nilly: my survival was at stake) pressed into doing more than my share of cooking for this bunch of hungry sailors, all of them very willing scullions/apprentices at my service. No more Ramen, only freshly-made home-made pasta!
Thank you all for bringing this memory back to me!

Jeff, according to my mother's cousin, G. Washington aces were little square blocks of compressed seasoning similar to cicken buillon cubes, but that it was long ago. By the way, your white chili sounds great. Will try.

To get to the PANETTONE, djb and whoever else is interested, I’ll try to be as precise as I can, but please bear in mind that quantities vary according to how big the eggs are, what quality flour you’ve got, and so on. Don’t use self-raising, self- anything flour, if you can help it. Besides that, I tend to change things according to instinct and mood (my family and friends keep on asking me to write things down, since I could die in a car accident or something and then what would they do?), so I’m never quite definite about proportions etc., but here goes (for ONE panettone):

First thing, you need a tall baking pan (I’d say at least 15-20 cm tall, about 8 inches, otherwise you can have a low panettone, which is good anyway. If you have a handleless pot you could use that.), buttered and floured.

500 gr = 2 cups = 18 oz flour (but keep more at hand, you’ll probably need it)
200+ gr = 1 cup 0= 8 oz butter
200 gr = 1 cup = 8 oz flour
5 egg yolks
200 gr = 1 cup = 8 oz sugar

Yeast - raisins and/or candied lemon and orange peel (diced), as much as you like – warm water
A bit of salt (remember that salt inhibits the yeast)

1. Dissolve the yeast in some (about 1/3 cup?) flour, mix well, shape into a ball, make an X-shaped cut on its surface and let rise in warm place, about 10 minutes. Once it’s risen, the real work starts.

2. In a bowl pour the melted warm butter, plus the salt and the risen yeast. Add some warm water (you’ll have to figure out by yourself when to stop, it depends a lot on how big a panettone you want, I’d say about 2/3 cup) and mix.

3. Slowly add the egg yolks and the sugar (better if previously dissolved in warm water; I find myself doing it in step 2, therefore adding water only once). A little grated lemon peel is good here too. Not to mention a soupçon of Marsala wine. Mix well.

4 . Add the flour, a bit at a time, mixing and then kneading, till the dough is nice and smooth, doesn’t stick to the bowl and has a lot of air bubbles on its surface.

5. Add the raisins (and diced candied fruit if that’s what you like) and knead some more, just enough to distribute them in the dough (like chocolate-chip cookies). You can put them to soak first (the raisins) if you wish, but I find that they absorbe all the humidity they need during rising and cooking. The TRICK, however, is to FLOUR the raisins before adding them to the dough. That way they won’t all settle on the bottom but remain distributed through the whole panettone. Trust me.

6. Pour the dough in the baking pan (it shouldn’t fill it up the whole way, you’ve got to allow for rising). Let rise till its volume has doubled.

7. Before putting it in the oven, make an X cut on the panettone’s surface (it helps the dough to rise), put a dab of butter in the center (of the cut) and pop in the preheated oven at about 200°C = 400°F (fairly hot). After 10 minutes, if you remember, take it out, quickly pull the corners of the X cut further apart, and back into the oven. It should take about 30-40 minutes to cook (if it’s in a tall baking pan), check with a toothpick. Cool on a rack (the real panettone makers use something that looks like an enormous hairpin to hang it upside down while it cools, so that it stays really light and feathery, but there’s just so much one can do at home!).

OK, I know this seems very long, but actually this is the simplified version. Would you have preferred the three-day-long traditional recipe?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:11 pm 

Rennie:

Quote:
1. Dissolve the yeast in some (about 1/3 cup?) flour
I'm not sure how to dissolve yeast in flour, but I'll wing it. Thanks!

Bread recipes usually suggest bread flour (more gluten), but some rich bread recipes suggest pastry flour (less gluten), to achieve a lighter crumb. Any idea which works better for panettone?

<small>[ 12-13-2002, 20:14: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:06 pm 

Oops, I meant in warm water and mix with flour. That's what you get when writing things out at 2 a.m.!

Probably pastry flour will be better, over here flour is classified according to how fine it is, gluten is something we don't really worry about, unless one is gluten-intolerant, of course.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:28 pm 

Grazie, Rennie.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8